Buying a house with dominican girl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi everyone,

This is my question and situation

I am Belgian, live in Sosua for 4 years, renting apartment.
I have a little boy with a Dominican girl. We live together. We are not married

At the moment, everything is quite ok ( quite because you know dominicanas... :) )

I might think about buying a small Dominican house, in Dominican neighborood, for the family to live in.

BUT my girl is Dominican? For the moment everything is cool. But what happens if things one day go wrong. I heard she would be entitled half of the property. What does exactly the law says about this? Because we hear everything and contrary at the same time...

And how is it possible to protect against that kind of bull****?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Hope i dont get slapped for this ,I know its the Legal section..
but from what I hear from real life examples..
Just know you are basically buying a house for HER and her Family, and your SON.. which is nice
your Son deserves it im sure..right ?

But if you want to keep your sanity, just wash that whole Idea that you are buying a House for YOU as a Couple, and if something were to go wrong, you gonna get your 50%? nah bro.. just get that out of your head right from the beginning.. you are much better off just accepting that.
just my .02

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

trucker

Mar 20, 2011
You could do what I did. After we lived together for five years I built a small house in the campo. After it was finished, I gave it to her. She asked me why. I said that now you have everything I own. Now we will get married and you will won't have to ever worry about your future. You could've knocked her over with a feather. We did get married and have lived happily ever since. Even though we don't have children we do enjoy being together. Been together 12 years now and all is well. It worked for us.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Just know you are basically buying a house for HER and her Family, and your SON.. which is nice

But if you want to keep your sanity, just wash that whole Idea that you are buying a House for YOU as a Couple, and if something were to go wrong, you gonna get your 50%? nah bro.. just get that out of your head right from the beginning.. you are much better off just accepting that.
just my .02

thanks for your 2 c but that kind of answer does not help... I know all this thats why I started the thread... :)
This can happen of course but not always... :)

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
You could do what I did. After we lived together for five years I built a small house in the campo. After it was finished, I gave it to her. She asked me why. I said that now you have everything I own. Now we will get married and you will won't have to ever worry about your future. You could've knocked her over with a feather. We did get married and have lived happily ever since. Even though we don't have children we do enjoy being together. Been together 12 years now and all is well. It worked for us.

Well actually, I have been thinking about eventually putting the house on my son s name... Would this work then?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think that in case of dissolving the relationship the usufruct of the property that belongs to the minor falls in the hand of the person who has the custody of the child. which in DR is almost certainly the mother.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Just go for it what the hell. Worst thing is you lose the house wife and kid. No biggie. Relationships mean **** in the DR. It's only about money all the time, every time, para siempre. Once you transcend this reality here you won't give a ****. The only time it's somewhat real is if the chica is a homer ( ugly ). That's when you hear members in here telling you it worked for them. Lol.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

Very smart man.. I did almost the same thing. Rebuilt her families home in their Barrio. No ownership for me at all, and as far as my other stateside assets, they have not come into question. I plan on leaving them to my grandchildren. She has asked about our boat which is valued at 129k.. I told her that I won't even discuss it unless she shows more interest in the general upkeep of it in which case I'd be happy to add her name on the title.. She has actually started doing some of the maintenance which makes me happy, but we will have to see if she's serious or not.

Apr 7, 2014

just my .02
Buy the house. Give it to your son. All's well.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Put the house in the child's name and ignore most of what you read here.

What's wrong with that ? Good estate planning

Get on with it.... sounds to me like all you're doing is honoring a responsibility .

Good luck.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
Hi everyone,

This is my question and situation

I am Belgian, live in Sosua for 4 years, renting apartment.
I have a little boy with a Dominican girl. We live together. We are not married

At the moment, everything is quite ok ( quite because you know dominicanas... :) )

I might think about buying a small Dominican house, in Dominican neighborood, for the family to live in.

BUT my girl is Dominican? For the moment everything is cool. But what happens if things one day go wrong. I heard she would be entitled half of the property. What does exactly the law says about this? Because we hear everything and contrary at the same time...

And how is it possible to protect against that kind of bull****?

Call this office,
http://www.squirepattonboggs.com/offices/santo-domingo

trucker

Mar 20, 2011
Only advice I can give is seriously get to know the family, especially her father. You can find the intentions of your girlfriend thru him. He will tell you a lot, if you listen carefully and ask questions. The family is the key. If it's a good and honest family, then you are on your way. Good luck and let us know how things turn out. I have a feeling they will turn out well.

Feb 7, 2007
Create a shell corporation or trust in Panama and have that corp/trust set up and own a DR corporation. Make out a perpetual loan (paying just interest, never a principal) by Panamian corporation/trust to the DR corporation and construct the house in the name of DR corporation. The corporation will have minimal net assets (liability = loan, assets = shareholder capital + house, net assets = shareholder capital), you pay only assets tax on the basic capital of the corporation (not on the house, because the corporation will owe money on that house to its Panamian parent), and you are protected. You will be elected manager of the DR corporation by the Panamian corp/trust, all this, including loan papers and property/house title can be registered in DR Registro Mercantil in the DR corporation's file. You should be protected. Whole set up cost about 1500 USD which includes Panamian registry and DIY DR registry.

In case of separation, she cannot get the house because it's corporation's. She cannot say you own the corporation because the corporation will be owned by a Panamian corp/trust and there is no public ownership record of the Panamian corp/trust in Panama.

Apr 7, 2014
Create a shell corporation or trust in Panama and have that corp/trust set up and own a DR corporation. Make out a perpetual loan (paying just interest, never a principal) by Panamian corporation/trust to the DR corporation and construct the house in the name of DR corporation. The corporation will have minimal net assets (liability = loan, assets = shareholder capital + house, net assets = shareholder capital), you pay only assets tax on the basic capital of the corporation (not on the house, because the corporation will owe money on that house to its Panamian parent), and you are protected. You will be elected manager of the DR corporation by the Panamian corp/trust, all this, including loan papers and property/house title can be registered in DR Registro Mercantil in the DR corporation's file. You should be protected. Whole set up cost about 1500 USD which includes Panamian registry and DIY DR registry.
Or not....

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Rep Dom ..in reponse to your precise question. Yes , your defacto will be entitled to 50% . How do you get around this ? With great difficulty that may create other problems . If you put in the name of your son, he may, in due course, take sole possession. In the name of your brother and what happens if he dies?? I agree that is easiest just to accept the Dominican law and be prepared to lose the 50% .

Status
Not open for further replies.