AMET : What is legally required?

Fulano

Jan 31, 2002
I was in La Romana yesterday when AMET decided to have a crack-down on motorcycles for lack of helmets and ( as I read in today's paper), lack of licenses. This lead to a discussion at lunch where some of my business associates from Santiago mentioned that they now require automobile drivers to carry not only the obvious license and insurance, but also the original matricula, a fire extinguisher, emergency triangle reflectors, and a first aid kit. They said that they are giving no warnings, just going ahead and issuing a fine and in some cases, confiscating the auto until whatever is lacking is produced. So my question is this : what is legally required? As my job requires me to be on the road I want to comply with the requirements if I could just discover what they are. I read the paper daily and unless I have missed it I have never seen this mentioned. Thanks for any help.

P.S. In the same article today, it mentioned that riding more than one person on a motorcycle is a violation of Transit Law article 135 and article 37 stipulates that motorcycles must stay on the edge of the road, not pass cars, etc. Will this be enforced? Dare we hope that this will could be the end of the dreaded moto-concho?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
What I know is required

[B]Fulano[/B] said:
that they now require automobile drivers to carry not only the obvious license and insurance, but also the original matricula, a fire extinguisher, emergency triangle reflectors, and a first aid kit.
Also updated placa (license plate sticker) and your revista (inspection sticker). Those have always been required, they are just enforcing it. They are also now stopping everybody who a)is speeding, b)runs red lights, c) do not use seatbelts, d)carry children in the front seats, etc. In short everybody not using common sense and responsibility. For more info (in Spanish) check Amet's website at www.amet.gov.do

I remember that in the very old days when my dad drove a Chevrolet Impala in two tones of green that we children jokingly nicknamed El Aguacate :eek: my dad had a broom and sunglasses in the car that were supposedly required by law. Anyone knows if this is true?

Now, I still have that question about the original matr?cula. I need help here.

Last edited:

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
If you really want to know ALL the details you should go to the legal section of a bookstore and buy Law #241 of 1967 with its amendments. On paper, it's a very thorough statute which unfortunately only now is beginning to be enforced.

Regarding your specific question about what you should have with you while driving besides the obvious (registration, insurance, "revista", license plate and updated sticker), you may refer to Title VI of Law #241 (Articles 139 to 169). The list is impressive: brakes and emergency brakes in good working order, electrical system and lights also in good working order, spare tire, horn, rearview mirror, jack, speedometer, bumpers, muffler, battery-powered lantern, spare bulbs for the head and rear lights, tool kit, medical emergency kit, reflective triangles AND ?any other... emergency equipment? required by additional regulations (I don?t have these at hand so obviously the list is incomplete. I think a fire extinguisher is also a requirement).

As for motorcycles, riding more than one person on one is not a violation of Article 135 as long as the passenger has a seat with the proper safeguards (?asiento trasero adicional con agarraderas y estribos?). Article 137 does stipulate that motorcycles must stay as close to the right edge of the road as possible. They are allowed, however, to pass cars with proper care (?especial cuidado?). The final section of Article 137, you may be shocked to learn, orders motorcycle drivers to keep their hands at all times on the steering mechanism prohibiting the carrying of bags or any other objects. (including, I assume, the 50-pound propane tanks you see being carried everywhere).

LynnCox

Feb 18, 2002
Wow...I find all of this thoroughly incredible! Where has the "law" been "enforced" up until now??? Certainly NOT in this country. Take a look at the cars! Before enforcing such "laws" they need to send at least 1/2 of this country BACK to driving school! Being an American living in La Romana for almost 4 years..I have to laugh!

I recently had the "honor" of dealing with the incompetancy of some AMET officers here in La Romana, 8 of them to be exact! I was at the clinic getting my blood drawn, parked on the correct side of the street, where there was "no yellow marking on the curb, NOR any no parking signs". I even asked the guy before I went into the clinic to make sure. He said I was fine. A guy that knew me, ran into the clinic a few minutes later to tell me that I needed to move my car back or they were going to tow it. I ran out, moved it back and questioned what the problem was. I was then asked for my driver's license..well, I had left so quickly because I needed to just go into town for 2 minutes, I forgot to bring my license. The sargeant, asked me where I was from and did I drive without one in the USA? I told him no, it was an error on my part. He called for the tow truck! I explained to him that I was in a hurry to get my blood drawn and forgot it. I called my house and someone to bring it to me. At the same time, the guy that came in to get me told them that he had driven me there. They checked his license and said well, he didn't had a "conductor license", but ok. So they write a ticket in his name on my car for are you ready....parking in the yellow! By this time there was a crowd that had gathered. When I questioned "where was the yellow painting on the curb", the AMET guy just smiled and said, "there had been a sign here saying no parking" I said, "where is it"? He informed me that it had been on the pole that was now bare! I explained to him that it was not my fault that there was no sign there and again where was the yellow on the curb???

I wanted to go get a camera and take pictures of the curb and no sign, but reazlizing it would be futile to waste my time in fighting this, I decided to pay the guys ticket.

Knowing that they confiscate licenses is one reason why I hadn't carried it...now I carry a copy. In the USA, they only confiscate your license if you are drunk driving, NOT for minor traffic violations.

I think we need to send the AMET guys back to school and have their eyes checked!

Eco

Jan 14, 2002
www.ecology-clean.com
just a word

RD500 for seat belt and RDnothing for red ligh
RD500 for cell phone and RDnothing for drinking in the car and driving
RD500 for having wrong color face - and RD nothing for junk without insurance full of public.

Good system. Who ever created must be drunk or stupid at the time.

da_rottweiler

Jan 4, 2002
ezinfocenter.com
AMET in Santiago

Recently I was caught using my cellphone at the junction of Estrella Sadahla and Luperon/Bartolo Colon
The young officer Carlos Taveras was ever so polite, he asked for my Licence which was a Provisional (haven't got around to getting the Blue one) took it, gave me the ticket, which I promptly paid at Banco Reservas the next day RD$500.
The very next day I stopped to ask how and where I went for my Licence, he asked for the ticket with the receipt,noted the # of the receipt. That evening he came to my house in Gurabo with my Licence !

How's that for service, everytime he sees me in the street he salutes me, maybe its because I drive a 2005 LandCruiser ? or is it beacuae I am a Retired UK Naval Officer (on my UK licence it says Cdr xxxxxxxxx ret'd R.N.)

He even invited me to the AMET Christmas Dinner in Santiago - to which I went !

So NOT all AMET are bad, just a few !