Fraud at Scotia Bank ATM

cacobaka

Mar 14, 2010
Just a warning to everyone. I was at the Scotia Bank in Puerto Plata(ATM). I put in my card, and received an error message. Tried again and received the same message. No money came out.

I checked my online banking and to my surprise twice $312.75 was withdrawn (10,000 pesos). Went to the bank and they said basically it's not their problem and to call my Canadian bank. She didn't seem to understand that the ATM is obviously where the problem is, so just a warning to others..

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Did you receive the error message after trying to withdraw 10,000 pesos or before any transaction ???

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, the ATM is a problem but only the Cdn bank can give you the credit you need.

Really, two problems........one is yours, the other Scotia RD

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
wow just used that 5 minutes ago, worked fine. I use it all the time. never a problem

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
FRAUD:
Wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.
A person or thing intended to deceive others, typically by unjustifiably claiming or
being credited with accomplishments or qualities.

I don?t understand how your situation is fraud. It sounds more like an electrical malfunction
at that particular ATM machine. You should hold on to the reciept if you have one then return to
the same bank on Monday morning and explain to them what happened.

I :cheeky:puerto Plata!

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
yes one time I got a message on the atm that stated, "NO BANK ACCOUNT ASSOCIATED WITH THIS CARD" scared the crap out of me. called bank and they said they never heard of that one but my account was good and so was card.

Feb 7, 2007
When doing ATM withdrawal I always ha email my phone camera ready to snap a picture of any error message that could appear on the screen. Frequently the error message appears only on the screen and there is no receipt.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Just a warning to everyone. I was at the Scotia Bank in Puerto Plata(ATM). I put in my card, and received an error message. Tried again and received the same message. No money came out.

I checked my online banking and to my surprise twice $312.75 was withdrawn (10,000 pesos). Went to the bank and they said basically it's not their problem and to call my Canadian bank. She didn't seem to understand that the ATM is obviously where the problem is, so just a warning to others..

I've been using the ATM inside the Scotiabank Cabarete for years and also the ATM at the Sosua Metro bus station inside the pharmacy without a problem.
Also have been using my VISA card at Playero without a problem, so far.

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
I've been using Scotiabank for years without any problem at all. In fact it's my favorite as they have an agreement with BofA in the U.S. and the fees are minimal. Exchange rate is always good as well and they let me take out much more then the other banks in the DR.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Happened to us several years ago and had to wait for scotiabank canada to refund the money to our account. Many years using scotiabank atms
in cabarete and puerto plata and it happened only once.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010

Please!! Yes but don't worry they Scotia will eat "your fraud" after you report it and pocketed the cash.. I'm hip to you expat scams but they aren't.. Why even post this here, you think its going to make your case stronger? I know its a scam because YOU CANT replicate that error message for SCOTIA can you? Sheesh...

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Anyone who has used a card at the outside atms and not been robbed should buy a lottery ticket.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
the bank employee is lying through her teeth as this happens all the time. Some Dominicans have playing dumb down to a science.

Sep 4, 2012
the bank employee is lying through her teeth as this happens all the time. Some Dominicans have playing dumb down to a science.

Any bank, any teller will tell you the same; contact your bank. I think is too much to understand that the MAX liability for ATM/DC holders for unauthorized used of their DC is $50.00 and in most cases liabilities are zero. Notify the issuer bank of the fraudulent/unauthorized transaction/cash taken out and sleep well.

Arguing, asking or even mentioning this to any teller other than your issuer bank, will get you nothing other than high blood pressure. Yes, its that simple!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Please!! Yes but don't worry they Scotia will eat "your fraud" after you report it and pocketed the cash.. I'm hip to you expat scams but they aren't.. Why even post this here, you think its going to make your case stronger? I know its a scam because YOU CANT replicate that error message for SCOTIA can you? Sheesh...

Well I actually had a very similar thing happen at Banco Progresso in Jarabacoa. I received no cash, no receipt and the ATM just said unable complete this transaction due to error. There was no error code. I checked my account later and 200 dollars had been withdrawn. It took awhile but the Royal Bank repaid my account. I have no idea what investigation they did. I have been a good client for 40 plus years, that might make a difference.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
It took awhile but the Royal Bank repaid my account. I have no idea what investigation they did. I have been a good client for 40 plus years, that might make a difference.
I suppose they do some accounting on a daily basis considering the actual amount of money found in the machine and the reported transactions. Hence, they can detect whether there is a discrepancy. The low level employees are probably not the ones to do these checks. If they detect a discrepancy, they can make appropriate corrections. At the end of the day, 200 dollars is a fairly small amount of money for the institutions involved.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I had an incident with an ATM where it was my fault, I was distracted when the cash came and waited too long to take it. So it went back in the ATM. The bank, (BP) told me to contact my CC company. I did and they credited my account in about a week. I assume they check with BP to see if the machine has the money.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
happened to me three separtae times many years ago - each time on 40k withdrawls - took 60 days on the nose each time to get money back from cdn bank....i dont use machines anymore - go in to the branch to withdrawl...tom

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Happened to us several years ago and had to wait for scotiabank canada to refund the money to our account. Many years using scotiabank atms
in cabarete and puerto plata and it happened only once.

That's what I love about BOA.. As soon as you file your claim, the money is back in your account and the disputed transaction is null and void.. It's up to the business where the disputed transaction took place to follow through with the dispute if they wish for it to be overturned.