Only In The Dominican Republic

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
PRD to proclaim Danilo Medina as its presidential candidate

Miguel Vargas Maldonado and Danilo Medina.

Santo Domingo.- The Dominican Revolutionary Party (PRD) on Sunday will proclaim President Danilo Medina as its presidential candidate in Santo Domingo's Palacio de los Deportes at 8 am, PRD Communications chief Victor Gomez Casanova said via Twitter.

Medina, also the presidential candidate for the ruling Dominican Liberation Party (PLD) and the Progressive Bloc, will travel on Saturday and Sunday to provinces Hermanas Mirabal, Samana, Maria Trinidad Sanchez, Sanchez Ramirez and Duarte.

PLD campaign coordinator in the Northeast Bautista Rojas called on members and supporters of the PLD and allies to join massively the march-caravan that will take place over the weekend.

He said that in those provinces the president enjoys an extraordinary sympathy, so he invited these groups to take the streets and show Medina their support once again.

unbelievable. but this is the DR..

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
What comes to mind is windeguy saying the "fix is in" for Hillary.. Talk about fixing an election... Dominicans definitely know how to get it done..

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
PRD to proclaim Danilo Medina as its presidential candidate

Miguel Vargas Maldonado and Danilo Medina.

Santo Domingo.- The Dominican Revolutionary Party (PRD) on Sunday will proclaim President Danilo Medina as its presidential candidate in Santo Domingo's Palacio de los Deportes at 8 am, PRD Communications chief Victor Gomez Casanova said via Twitter.

unbelievable. but this is the DR..

WHAT ON EARTH is unbelievable or scandalous about two parties forming an alliance?

Anyway, this simply shows how ignorant you are of Dominican politics. The REAL PRD party is now called PRM. The vast majority of the sympathizers of the old PRD (and the vast majority of their main historical leaders) are now supporting the PRM. Essentially it's a name change, with a small group keeping the old name. The leader of the group that kept the old name has been accused for years of being a collaborator of the PLD.

Not too long ago, the true old PRD formed an alliance with the PRSC (red), which had been its bitter rival for decades. Now the same has happened since the PRSC is allied with the PRM (which is the same as the old PRD with a new name). No big deal.

BTW you obviously don't know that there have been cases in major countries in which the two main parties (historical bitter rivals) have come together to form unity governments (because neither party was able to form a parliamentary government on its own). One well-known example was the "grand coalition" that took Angela Merkel to power in Germany. It's conceivable that something similar will happen in Spain soon. Dominicans have NOT invented coalitions between historical rivals.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
flat550x550075f1.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Not really going back to their roots, since the true PRD founded by Bosch is now operating under the name PRM, and is the main opposition party. It's just a name change as explained elsewhere.

PRD still exists. it split, not change the name.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
WHAT ON EARTH is unbelievable or scandalous about two parties forming an alliance?

Anyway, this simply shows how ignorant you are of Dominican politics. The REAL PRD party is now called PRM. The vast majority of the sympathizers of the old PRD (and the vast majority of their main historical leaders) are now supporting the PRM. Essentially it's a name change, with a small group keeping the old name. The leader of the group that kept the old name has been accused for years of being a collaborator of the PLD.

Not too long ago, the true old PRD formed an alliance with the PRSC (red), which had been its bitter rival for decades. Now the same has happened since the PRSC is allied with the PRM (which is the same as the old PRD with a new name). No big deal.

BTW you obviously don't know that there have been cases in major countries in which the two main parties (historical bitter rivals) have come together to form unity governments (because neither party was able to form a parliamentary government on its own). One well-known example was the "grand coalition" that took Angela Merkel to power in Germany. It's conceivable that something similar will happen in Spain soon. Dominicans have NOT invented coalitions between historical rivals.

In an attempt to derail the Sandinista Government in Nicaragua the 7 other parties all got together and called themselves UNO!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
this can happen in a variety of ways... coalitions......
but you need to have a multi (not 2) party system.

Canada has seen it regularly since a third party arrived

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

calm down, Virgo. what is scandalous is that the PRD was the major opponent of the current government in the last election, and now is declaring the guy they ran against in the last election as their candidate.

do not presume to know what i know, or do not know. i am fully aware of coalition governments. they usually take place after elections. this is not a coalition. it is a sellout by some opportunists who have no interest in forming an opposition, but are just setting themselves up to rake in some scraps.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
calm down, Virgo. what is scandalous is that the PRD was the major opponent of the current government in the last election, and now is declaring the guy they ran against in the last election as their candidate.

do not presume to know what i know, or do not know. i am fully aware of coalition governments. they usually take place after elections. this is not a coalition. it is a sellout by some opportunists who have no intetrest in forming an opposition, but are just setting themselves up to rake in some scraps.

very true.... a misnomer is being used here.... not a coalition.

Correct my post above

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
PRD still exists. it split, not change the name.
I said it is ESSENTIALLY a name change. The split is a LARGE group with most sympathizers and well-known leaders with a new name, and a MUCH smaller group with very few of the traditional leaders keeping the old name. The larger group is essentially the old party with a new name (the other group is essentially a new party with the old name).

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
BUT it still EXIST. under a well known leader. with the same IDEALS as before. so.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013

do not presume to know what i know, or do not know. i am fully aware of coalition governments. they usually take place after elections. this is not a coalition. it is a sellout by some opportunists who have no interest in forming an opposition, but are just setting themselves up to rake in some scraps.

Are you having reading problems? I said very clearly it was an ALLIANCE. Did you miss that?

Anyhow, whether called an alliance or a coalition, it works very similarly. If anything the coalition is an even bigger thing, because technically the alliance is disolved after the election, whereas the coalition operates throughout the length of the government. In practice the alliance becomes a coalition, since important parts of the government (ministries, etc) are assigned to allied parties (depending on their importance), just like in a coalition government.

I also explained to you in great detail that the main opposition party that ran against the government in the last election continues as the main opposition party, simply under a new name. The group that kept the old name is FAR smaller (most of the top leaders and their sympathizers went to the 'new' party). In practical terms, the old party has a new name. The party with the old name is PRACTICALLY a new party.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Are you having reading problems. I said very clearly it was an ALLIANCE. Did you miss that?

Whether called an alliance or a coalition, it works similarly. If any thing the coalition is an even bigger thing, because technically the alliance is disolved after the election. In practice the alliance becomes a coalition, since important parts of the government (ministries, etc) are assigned to allied parties (depending on their importance).

I also explained to you in great detail that the main opposition party that ran against the government in the last election continues as the main opposition party, simply under a new name. The group that kept the old name is FAR smaller (most of the top leaders and their sympathizers went to the 'new' party). In practical terms, the old party has a new name. The party with the old name is PRACTICALLY a new party.

yeah, yeah, yeah. just more musical chairs. then some other guys will get on the PLD bandwagon, until the polls show that the PRM could win, then we will hear that the other Aristy guys have joined forces with some other guys. it is hilarious.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
BUT it still EXIST. under a well known leader. with the same IDEALS as before. so.
Which is why I said ESSENTIALLY. It has ONE RELATIVELY well-known leader. But only RELATIVELY because MVM was virtually unknown until he became the Public Works minister under Hipolito. Four years after Hipolito he became th epresidential candidate, did poorly but got a lot of internal power, which eventually lead to the 'split'.

I doubt the PRD has the same ideals as before, and doubt even more that they have any ideals at all (assuming they know what ideals mean). May not have had ideals ever.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Which is why I said ESSENTIALLY. It has ONE RELATIVELY well-known leader. But only RELATIVELY because MVM was virtually unknown until he became the Public Works minister under Hipolito. Four years after Hipolito he became th epresidential candidate, did poorly but got a lot of internal power, which eventually lead to the 'split'.

I doubt the PRD has the same ideals as before, and doubt even more that they have any ideals at all (assuming they know what ideals mean). May not have had ideals ever.

i am missing something here. i fail to see how a guy who ran for President can be characterized as RELATIVELY well known.