Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Any tips for our trip? Punta Cana > SD > Cabarete > Samana > La Romana > Bavaro

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! You are ambitious as most people have pointed out. I write blog posts for a few hotels here in Cabarete and I have been creating a guide to Cabarete on this one: http://cabaretecondos.com/blog/

Click around, I have written about almost everything I can think of from grocery stores, to gyms, to where to eat etc. Enjoy and maybe I'll see you on kite beach.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think anyone has said much to you about the Colonial Zone yet. I think you're not allowing enough time there, it is the only part of the island where you are going to see history, museums, culture, and it has some excellent restaurants and nightlife. It's also the safest area to walk around, it's mainly pedestrianised and there are a lot of police. So I would suggest two nights, and I would suggest that if you can have a Sunday as one of those, that would allow you to go to the excellent (and free) Salsa in the Ruins. I don't know about the hotel you have booked, it isn't in a great area and I think the price is just $22 per night which is going to get you almost nothing in the Colonial Zone. There are some great hotels here, many in really nice old buildings, and you get a flavor of the history and the past. So in summary, I would suggest you go for a nicer hotel here and stay for two nights.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Donīt forget to bring with you a whole lot of common sense and a little street smarts. Enjoy your stay!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TropicalPaul View Post
    I don't think anyone has said much to you about the Colonial Zone yet. I think you're not allowing enough time there, it is the only part of the island where you are going to see history, museums, culture, and it has some excellent restaurants and nightlife. It's also the safest area to walk around, it's mainly pedestrianised and there are a lot of police. So I would suggest two nights, and I would suggest that if you can have a Sunday as one of those, that would allow you to go to the excellent (and free) Salsa in the Ruins.
    I suggested two nights a few posts back. Also mentioned the NY Times article on 36 hours in SD.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petrolej View Post
    Thanks for all your comments. Based on that, we updated our itinerary:

24 - 27.2. (28.2 checkout) Bavaro
    4 nights all inclusive hotel http://www.booking.com/hotel/do/gran...spa.en-gb.html

28.2. (29.2 checkout) Santo domingo
    1 night in small hotel in Zona Colonial https://www.booking.com/hotel/do/cirok.en-gb.html

29.2. - 9.3. (10.3.checkout) Samana peninsula
    10 nigths. We will stay in 2 places. Rigth know we have booked 5 nights in Las Terrenas ( https://www.booking.com/hotel/do/res...nas.en-gb.html ) and 5 nigths in Las Galeras ( https://www.booking.com/hotel/do/el-...gio.en-gb.html )

10.3. - 14.3 (15.3. checkout) Bayahibe
    5 nights in https://www.booking.com/hotel/do/cabana-elke.en-gb.html or maybe AirBNB

15.3. Flight from Punta Cana

First part (Bavaro + Santo Domingo) is final and can't be changed. With the rest we can change bookings.
    We are thinking about these changes:
    5 nights Las Terrenas, 4 nights Samana, 3 nights Las Galeras, 3 nights Bayahibe
    OR 7 nights Las Terrenas, 4 nights Las Galeras, 4 nights Bayahibe
    OR 7 nights Las Terrenas, 4 nights Samana, 4 nights Bayahibe

What would you do?
    Good choice on the Grand Palladium. Was just there recently. Food is good, you don't have to upgrade or do VIP
    to eat in the Ala Carte restaurants. 4 resorts inside the Palladium and the Gym is good, if you are into that.

Zona Colonial is pretty neat and of course historic, you should enjoy it.

6. Likes KateP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you decide to spend time in Las Galeras, I rent about 20 properties ranging from $45 a night to over $500. I'd be happy to find you something. Book a whale watching tour with Whale Samana!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

You mentioned "guaguas from Sabana to wherever." How's the bus system doing these days from Sabana to Punta Cana. Any Express lines leaving daily? Trying to decide if we need to fly from PC to Samana to avoid a long day on bad roads.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    The official Spanish name is CANAL DE LA MONA.

Now, one can argue that one shouldn't translate Spanish CANAL as English Canal, which may or may not be true.

Would you be any happier if we say Mona is a Channel as opposed to a Canal?

Channel = Canal in many contexts.
    You know like the canals on mars!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petrolej View Post
    Hi,
    I am new to this forum and we are planning our first trip to DR with my girlfriend. We are both from Slovakia around 30 years old, travelled a lot together in Europe and in Morocco, Thailand. I spent almost 3 months travelling in Central America.
    In DR we would like to relax, enjoy the beaches, try the cuisine and get to know the country and people. On top of that we plan to surf, dive and my gf would love to see dolphins. She's hoping to see them on every vacation, but we weren't so lucky so far.
    I would appreciate any tips or comments to our itinerary:

24 - 25.2. Punta Cana - chill out after the flight from Europe
    26.2. Santo domingo - see the Zona Colonial and maybe some live music
    27 - 29.2. Cabarete - watch the Master of the Ocean and hopefully surf a little (we did surf before, but are still beginners)
    1.3. - 6.3. Samana - apart from beaches, we would like to see the nature.
    7.3. - 9.3 comfortable place in La Romana or Bayahibe with a day trip Saona
    10.3. - 14.3. comfortable place in Bavaro or Punta Cana area
    15.3. Flight from Punta Cana

We don't have any accommodation booked yet. For the week in Samana, we think of staying few days in Las Galeras and few days in Las Terrenas.
    For the end of our trip we just want to relax, so we will probably book a beach resort in La Romana and then a resort somewhere in Bavaro. We have never stayed in all-inclusive resort. My gf would like to try it, but I prefer something more authentic. On the other hand our other trips were usually too hectic and we felt like we needed another holiday after a holiday so a resort might be a nice change.

We will travel by public transport.

What do you think about the itinerary? Where would you stay in Samana and in the La Romana and Punta Cana area?
    Now for the after trip report:???????????????

Post Thanks / Like

Macao is a most popular surfing beach. and comfortable place.I like being around them rather than other tourists.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234