Beware ripoff at Texaco station in Sosua

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
I stopped at the Texaco station next to Metro this afternoon to fill the gas tank on my 2010 Honda CR-V. The display on that gas pump was clearly not measuring the volume of gas correctly. I had a little over 1/4 tank of gas in my car when I pulled in, and I told the attendant to fill the tank. After the automatic shutoff tripped the nozzle to show that the tank was full, the attendent continued to pump gas a very slow rate. I did not say anything at first because I know it is normal for these guys to try to top off the tank as much as possible. But the display on the pump slowly continued to increase non-stop for about 2 minutes until I finally told the attendant to stop when the display showed that 15.3 gallons had been pumped.

The capacity of the gas tank in my Honda is only 15.3 gallons when the tank is completely empty and, like I said, the tank was more than 1/4 full when I pulled into the station. The first click to release the nozzle hit when the display showed about 11 gallons. After that, the amount on the display just continued to increase apparently indefinitely until I demanded that the attendant stop.

There is no way that my car could have taken more than 12 gallons. I keep careful track of my mileage at every fill up, and I had traveled 217 miles since the last fill up. So if you do the math for 15.3 gallons, that works out to be about 14 miles to the gallon. For a Honda CR-V that is in perfect running order??? I don't think so.

While the attendant was continuing to pretend to pump gas a slow rate, I noted that I could not hear or smell any gas. Also, there were no further automatic shutoffs after the initial one at 11 gallons. I'm no expert on the mechanics of gas pumps, but it appeared to me that, when pulling the lever on the nozzle only slightly, the display would continue to increase even though no gas was being delivered.

Buyer beware!. Needless to say, I will never return to that Texaco station again. Or if I do, I will insist that the attendant stop pumping as soon as the first automatic shutoff trips the nozzle. I made my displeasure known to the attendant and tried to explain to him why the display on that pump could not possibly be correct, but he just shrugged as one would expect in typical Dominican fashion.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what i really want to know is what would happened if you did not stop the attendant. how far would he go before calling it quits? my imagination shows me day turning into night and the silhouette of the attendant against raising moon, still pumping...

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
DV's image of the attendant continuing to pump well into the night if I had not stopped him is probably accurate. Are there any self-service gas stations in the Sosua area, or is that something that doesn't exist in the DR?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
DV's image of the attendant continuing to pump well into the night if I had not stopped him is probably accurate. Are there any self-service gas stations in the Sosua area, or is that something that doesn't exist in the DR?

Does not exist on the north coast.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

When I first arrove I jumped out of my rental car and grabbed the hose and started to do it as we do back there and was shouted at quite fiercely.
Der Fish

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
If there is no such thing as self-service gas stations here on the north coast, then I guess all we can do is insist that the attendant stop pumping as soon as the nozzle clicks shut the first time. Don't let him try to squeeze more in. Even then though, who knows how accurate these pumps are? I doubt that there is any regulation or calibration or licensing of these pumps like we have back in the States. I guess about all we can do is spread the word when we find a gas station that is obviously cheating us or when we find one that seems to be honest. Perhaps others can continue this thread with experiences from both sides.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
many people simply order whatever worth of petrol, say, 1000 pesos worth. i normally don't drive far and in POP i only use maybe two places, approved by miesposo for some reason (his father used to own few gas stations so i guess he knows some owners still and knows where to go).

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
As a hard fast rule I always stand right by the gas attendant and watch every second of his filling up process. I do not let them top off the tank and also follow them to the credit card machine and stand right there as they run my card. You have to be extremely careful in this country with gas stations, and well everything. We're targets and we're viewed as walking Dollar Signs almost everywhere.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
many people simply order whatever worth of petrol, say, 1000 pesos worth. i normally don't drive far and in POP i only use maybe two places, approved by miesposo for some reason (his father used to own few gas stations so i guess he knows some owners still and knows where to go).

This is what I have always done. I know the current price per gallon, I know pretty accurately how the gas gauge should move with what gallon amount, and I always stand right next to the guy when he?s pumping. I only have to get out of the car, when they (and if they don?t do this, I know not to come back) immediately point the meter and say: "esta en zero, regular 500/1000/2000". Sometimes they push the lever too hard, which causes the pump to stop, as the curve in the hose spits some gas back and the machine thinks it?s full. I stop them and ask to push less, and they do.

Only once do I recall using the mentioned gas station, as it?s hardly ever we have any reason to stop in Sosua, only if going to Cabarete for dinner, and I do recall there was something peculiar... Haven?t experienced any great issue in Puerto Plata.

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
Asked for 2000 there, the guy was all weird, totally knew he was going to try to put just 1500 in and he did. He's about 40? Ears sticking out, baseball cap. Can we report them to the manager?

It's somewhat entertaining, still I was surprised to see it happen there.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i may be a dimwit, but how are those scams possible? i mean, you say "give me 2,000 pesos" and the pump clocks 2,000 yet you think it only gave 1,500 pesos? is this a calibration of a pump? or a sleight of hands? where is a fraud?

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016

we do the same thing, I am lucky my family knows most all the tricks and scams they try in town. one station we go to we use only one set of pumps because he is friend of family. we have many relatives.