Bringing a Dominican to the states via K1 Fianc? Visa

Tt_er

Jan 30, 2016
Hello DR1 - I have been dating a Dominican & we plan to get married here in the states. We just sent all the paperwork for the K1 Visa & my fianc? is asking about the interview. Talking to my attorney in the states he says its 3-5 weeks to be approved but she is fine to go the interview by herself. I just got back a few weeks ago & she seems to think I should be there w/ her for the interview. With that said does anyone have experience if I need to be there?

Thanks for the help DR1!!!!

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Hello DR1 - I have been dating a Dominican & we plan to get married here in the states. We just sent all the paperwork for the K1 Visa & my fianc? is asking about the interview. Talking to my attorney in the states he says its 3-5 weeks to be approved but she is fine to go the interview by herself. I just got back a few weeks ago & she seems to think I should be there w/ her for the interview. With that said does anyone have experience if I need to be there?

I don't think your attorney is giving you correct information. If you're not there at the interview, she probably will not be approved.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

You should come with her to the interview.

The following is from the US Embassy site:
"EVIDENCE OF RELATIONSHIP: You must present evidence that you have a legitimate relationship with the person who has petitioned for you, such as letters, photographs, telephone bills and/or any other evidence that demonstrates your relationship. We strongly recommend that your fianc?(e) accompany you to the interview."

http://santodomingo.usembassy.gov/k1-k2_instructions.html

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
yes go to the interview . I am doing the same process but for permanent residence for wife. there is a list of items to be prepared for the interview on the NVC site.

if you want to check status of your visa . do not waste time with the Santo Domingo embassy. they just refer you to the USA location most likely the one in New Hampshire. all communications have to have your invoice number and case number. If you are acting as petitioner you need to send your info as well

Last edited:

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
EDITED but thinking again it would not hurt to check with them. its a K1 and Santo Domingo may help you with that type of visa, no help on the permanent. After one year Santo Domingo cannot even tell me an interview date.

El Mayimbe

Jan 25, 2015
Www.visajourney.com

Check out that website. You can see other Dominicans going thru the same process as you and a lot of your questions will be answered. Like other people has said, your attorney lied to you. If you don't show up to the interview, she will be denied! DR is a high fraud country, so that raises a red flag. 4 - 6 months for NOA2. Interview is approximately 1 month after that. Btw, if you know English an attorney is a waist of also another red flag that the embassy scrutinizes. Good luck.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
good luck. your visa will be fast mine has been 14 months all paid up and been waiting a year for an interview date. my daughters and grand son all got them quickly but not my wife.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
My advice, go with her to the interview and make sure have EVERYTHING you have from day one to whatever it is.

I use RapidVisa.com and it worked and got approved in 5 months rather than 16 months average. I suggest anyone to use RapidVisa, it works and cheaper and easier for everyone, they even got payment plans which is great!

Wish you the good luck!

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
I see your post on this site. waiting to see what kind of response you get

D-Mo who is one of the moderators on that site knows all of the ins and outs for the visa process and will tell the op the same thing. YOU NEED TO BE AT THE INTERVIEW... cross your fingers that they don't send you to the dreaded "Window 11".

Tt_er

Jan 30, 2016
Thanks for the info guys!!! It seems best I file it all myself vs the attorney & post questions here & Dominicantotheus site.

This has been a great help everyone!!!!

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
You should come with her to the interview.

The following is from the US Embassy site:
"EVIDENCE OF RELATIONSHIP: You must present evidence that you have a legitimate relationship with the person who has petitioned for you, such as letters, photographs, telephone bills and/or any other evidence that demonstrates your relationship. We strongly recommend that your fianc?(e) accompany you to the interview."

http://santodomingo.usembassy.gov/k1-k2_instructions.html

Photographs lots of photographs, these seem to impress the people at USA Immigration office. We presented maybe 20 and they asked if we didn't have any more than that! This was in Miami after we'd been married for 2 years,and for her green card.
Der Fish

Tt_er

Jan 30, 2016
Photographs lots of photographs, these seem to impress the people at USA Immigration office. We presented maybe 20 and they asked if we didn't have any more than that! This was in Miami after we'd been married for 2 years,and for her green card.
Der Fish

Awesome info!!!!! We printed maybe 50 or so & have them ready but with the CR1 I don't know if I need all of this? Naturally there are tons more just didn't print all of them.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning Does any one know how to pay when you are filing? The embassy website says that you have to pay with
a money order but the INS site says that you can pay with cash? Also where does one get an acceptable money order? Thanks

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Good Morning Does any one know how to pay when you are filing? The embassy website says that you have to pay with
a money order but the INS site says that you can pay with cash? Also where does one get an acceptable money order? Thanks

Walmart sells money orders as well as many other places. In the Miami area there are hundreds of Check Cashing Stores and each handle money orders, but one should probably stick to Walmart since there were a couple of cases of check cashing stores not honoring their money orders.
Drr Fish

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Sorry for being unclear I mean to file here at the Consulate.

I am almost positive that while filing DCF we paid with debit card at the consulate. Much easier than going to a bank to pay and then coming back to continue process.
Have to say, my wife tearing up as we paid the last of the charges was priceless. Tried to tell her they wouldn't send us to pay, unless she was getting the visa. I can't remember what that last payment was for though.