A couple of places in santiago to spend the evening.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
last night I went to an old side street bar called pipers (in los Jardines, santiago). Sorry, don't remember the name of the street but I will get the directions to anyone who is interested. Its a nice & cozy old fashioned english styled pub. Almost all of the clients seemed regulars and white (for some reason). The girls were decent until one old bag brought in 2 young chopas (street low class girls). The music was very alive and to my surprise very decorum to the ambience. A three man group consisted of a box guitar, two tall drums and a sax (also played flute); they played Latin jazz like I had never heard before. These 3 guys were actually enjoying their evening along with everyone else and played the music as if was their hobby (not a job).
The place was tight and people were pretty much squeezed in shoulder to shoulder. Most men didn't mind as the girls were also dancing close and bumping into everyone from every side. I had a wonderful time with my buddies and the spicy music.
The main attraction that I was pleased to discover was the best tasting sandwich that I had ever tasted anywhere. It was their specialty called Palomino sandwich (I am not sure of the exact name of the sandwich but it sounded like this). The name of their famous sandwich is written all over the bar, so don't worry. It costs 70 pesos and would fill up any sized stomach (except Criss', maybe 2 sandwiches for him). Its a large sized sandwich (in 3-4 pieces) made in italian toasted bread with ham, salami, cheese, spices, and tomatoes / lettuce etc. The ingredients may not sound very special but when the sandwich is put together, it will make you say, ummm, ohhhh and yum yum.
I highly recommend this place to anyone who wants to get away from the regular rounds of Santiago and wants to try some place different for a change.
Another bar has also opened up in los jardines is called ?lucky?s bar & grill?. Owner is an American and he is always available on the premises to chat with anyone. I liked the place because it not so noisy (loud music) and not so popular yet among the locals. It has been opened for about a month and I think it will be quickly discovered by the jevos and jevas de Santiago. They serve picaderas (appetizers) along with American beers in addition to a full bar. Full grill menu will be offered soon.
The place is located on the same street as ?Panchito? bakery and about a block or so away from ?pipers bar?. I also recommend this place for a quiet evening with friends or with your secret girlfriend.
Cheers

Theresa

Vettehead from Buckhead
Jan 16, 2002
AZB, I told you not to tell everyone where you secretly take me. Now everyone will know.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You "almost hit a homerun,but you Fouled Out!

AZB,What a great post.We were with you enjoying the music,and I could taste the "Palomino"! Now,you seem to "shoot yourself in the foot"! If you had only left out that,"Everyone seemed to be White"(not important,and how does one "seem" to be "white",paint your face and hands?) Also not important that;"the girls were decent until one old bag brought in 2 young "chopas"(street low class girls)! Better not to say these things.They add nothing to your interesting story of a night out in Santiago,they only make you seem like a "macho,classist,racist snob!" That "Old Bag" probably went home and told everyone that she liked the place,except that there was this "Ugly,Rag Head "Paki" who made the whole place "Stink" of BO,and Curry!" See what I mean,not relevant, or kind! I know you understand.Someone who has felt the "Sting" of intolerance should not be guilty of intolerance. Criss Colon

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
BewareAZB,,,The Taliban pork patrol is going to get you...twenty lashes...oh, forgot, that's not punishment to you..

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
I wanna go there

Hey AZB,

Why did we not go there when I was there. Was it because I was too busy???

It seems like a place where a few friends can get together for a nice conversation without the event of getting a piece of ass as top priority.

LOL

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Sorry criss, I didn't mean to be a racist when I said that the crowd was almost all white. I, too, was surprised to see that the bar only encourages white folks to come in, although i didn't see anyone at the door to select only the certain types of people to be let in. I had noted that to let people know in advance to be careful. many folks don't feel comfortable being inside a bar where people are of different looks. I mean, I don't feel very comfortable to be inside an all korean bar or an all jewish bar. Mind you, my friends (americans non jewish) and I were asked to leave (in a polite way) from a disco because it was a jewish singles night. We didn't know it and they let me in because they thought I was israeli. Do we scream racism? No, jews can't be racist.
Anyway, in francifol, the doorman keeps any person who doesn't seem to fit into the crown inside. Yes, it means if you are not white, you can't get in. I have seen that with my own eyes. Of course, if you are black and a well to do person, you can come in but if you are poor looking and of a darker complexion, forget it.
racism does exist in DR. this is a fact.
now back to my original point. No, I am not racist but, i was warning the folks in advance that the bar seems to be catering to white crown only. I didn't make that rule, it just the way it is.
Now about the chopa girls business: yes, the girls didn't seem to fit in nor they seem to be enjoying themselves in the bar. Why take people to bars where they don't seem to enjoy themselves either? take them to a car wash instead.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Another point to prove that i am not racist:
Once my friend santos pichardo (from La romana) came to visit me in santiago. He has been my friend for many years in puerto plata (eversince I was a tourist). Him and I are brothers. To my surprise, when I had introduced him to my female friends in santiago, the first reaction I got from many was the indication that santos was black. At least 3 girls told me "pero aftab, el es moreno...". That itself was sickening to hear as I had never thought of santos to be black, except as a kind person. He is my best dominican friend in DR (period).
When we went to francifol along wih a female friend of his (also of darker complexion, african looking), they were stopped by the doorman. He was insisting on seeing ID of the girl to prevent them from entering. The doorman never checks ID on any younger looking white girl in the bar but was insisting upon seeing her ID (which she wasn't carrying at the time) who looked clearly over 24 yr of age. I became very upset at the man and demanded to see the manager. I went inside and pulled the manager outside to solve the problem at once.
Needless to say, my friend was very upset the whole evening and I was very embarrassed to take him to that place.
So you see my point? If you want to avoid such a situation, stick to places where you are welcome. This is DR not USA.