K1 process vs. married in DR thus allowing my SO to come over?

Tt_er

Jan 30, 2016
So it seems the K1 is feasible but why not just get married in DR & bring your SO over? My fianc? was talking to her cousin, who now lives in OH, & she recommends this vs the K1 process. What is that process / visa called once we are married in DR for bringing her over? From reading this process doesn't seem as quick for my SO to come over (US) which I/we are ok with. What paperwork will I need to bring with me to marry in DR & from there where do we go to fill out the rest of the paperwork to bring her over?

Thanks again for the help this site info is a really nice tool!

TT_er

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
So it seems the K1 is feasible but why not just get married in DR & bring your SO over? My fianc? was talking to her cousin, who now lives in OH, & she recommends this vs the K1 process. What is that process / visa called once we are married in DR for bringing her over? From reading this process doesn't seem as quick for my SO to come over (US) which I/we are ok with. What paperwork will I need to bring with me to marry in DR & from there where do we go to fill out the rest of the paperwork to bring her over?

Thanks again for the help this site info is a really nice tool!

TT_er

You file an I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, with USCIS. Here's the instructions from USCIS' website, including all of the documents you will need:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-130

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
Ah this is the CR1 process correct?

Correct. Your fianc?'s friend is right about the processing time, though. Current USCIS processing times for immediate relative I-130's is currently running about 9 months to a year. And that's just the I-130. Even after USCIS approves the I-130, your wife will still have to apply for an immigrant visa at the U.S. Embassy. However, if you don't seem to mind the wait this process is usually less stressful. Plus, unlike the K-1, there is no adjustment of status after your wife arrives in the U.S. She becomes a lawful permanent resident on the same day she is admitted on her immigrant visa. Good luck!

Tt_er

Jan 30, 2016
You file an I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, with USCIS. Here's the instructions from USCIS' website, including all of the documents you will need:

https://www.uscis.gov/i-130

I assume we get married & then can drive to USCIS office to complete paperwork same day or next day? I just want to try & get if all done while I'm there. Trying to get this done from US is harder than I thought then again this is all new too! Thanks again!

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
it costs just under 1000.00 and you file with the state dept first then the NVC . you can act as the petitioner or a friend can. We were married in the DR years ago and we filed for her to come 14 months ago. its a very simple process if the site is working. The site leads you through step by step. my friend paid an attorney $6500.00 usd and his wife was in usa in 5 months. weare not in a big hurry so we do not mind waiting. A visa has to become available.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Ah this is the CR1 process correct?
It's been awhile for me and I'm not going to do the research again to make sure this information is still correct. One advantage to marrying in the LRD is that if you have been married more than two years, when the spouse enters the US then the spouse is eligible for naturalization (US citizenship) in three years instead of ten years. For marriage I needed a statement of single status from the Dominican consulate in the US. I'm not sure what I brought there to get it, but I think I only had to declare to them that I was single. Regardless of the visa type you will have to make an affidavit of support, the form for which is on the US State Department / Immigration Services website. This affidavit requires support documents of the three previous years of tax returns. Not that anybody is asking, but I'd recommend that any couple other than a pair of kids starting out with nothing between the two of them, get married under separaci?n de bienes (AKA prenup agreement that what is yours is yours and what is his/hers is his/hers). I went to Guzm?n Ariza for this, and was fairly satisfied with them. The exception was that first they sent me to a juzgado that wanted some BS documentation from the college of notarios, and the resolution was that I had to go to another juzgado (Ciudad Nueva I believe.) and leave my deposit at the first one. Hopefully they've learned from that.

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
I assume we get married & then can drive to USCIS office to complete paperwork same day or next day? I just want to try & get if all done while I'm there. Trying to get this done from US is harder than I thought then again this is all new too! Thanks again!

No. All I-130s must be mailed to the USCIS Lockbox in Chicago, IL. They will not accept them in person. You can probably file the I-130 at the U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo, but in all likelihood, they're just going to send it to the USCIS Lockbox in Chicago themselves. I-130s take time because USCIS receives so many of them. Not just for spouses of U.S. citizens, but for children, parents, and brothers/sisters of U.S. citizens as well. It's one of their most filed applications.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
you will not get it done that fast. the state dept has to approve it first (DEPT OF HOMELAND SEC) File the forms in USA. Then they send to National Visa Center.

do all the filing in USA and the interview in Santo Domingo

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
they will tell you where to send forms based on where you live in USA. there is guidlines

Tt_er

Jan 30, 2016
It's been awhile for me and I'm not going to do the research again to make sure this information is still correct. One advantage to marrying in the LRD is that if you have been married more than two years, when the spouse enters the US then the spouse is eligible for naturalization (US citizenship) in three years instead of ten years. For marriage I needed a statement of single status from the Dominican consulate in the US. I'm not sure what I brought there to get it, but I think I only had to declare to them that I was single. Regardless of the visa type you will have to make an affidavit of support, the form for which is on the US State Department / Immigration Services website. This affidavit requires support documents of the three previous years of tax returns. Not that anybody is asking, but I'd recommend that any couple other than a pair of kids starting out with nothing between the two of them, get married under separaci?n de bienes (AKA prenup agreement that what is yours is yours and what is his/hers is his/hers). I went to Guzm?n Ariza for this, and was fairly satisfied with them. The exception was that first they sent me to a juzgado that wanted some BS documentation from the college of notarios, and the resolution was that I had to go to another juzgado (Ciudad Nueva I believe.) and leave my deposit at the first one. Hopefully they've learned from that.

they will tell you where to send forms based on where you live in USA. there is guidlines

No. All I-130s must be mailed to the USCIS Lockbox in Chicago, IL. They will not accept them in person. You can probably file the I-130 at the U.S. Embassy in Santo Domingo, but in all likelihood, they're just going to send it to the USCIS Lockbox in Chicago themselves. I-130s take time because USCIS receives so many of them. Not just for spouses of U.S. citizens, but for children, parents, and brothers/sisters of U.S. citizens as well. It's one of their most filed applications.

Ah ok it is starting to come together. I see I must apply at the state dept first? Then at the NVC? I am not quite sure when one mentioned the state dept and/or NVC what is this? I assume this is within the states? As far as a timeline/structures goes....does this seem accurate?

- File docs at the state dept & NVC (again no idea what this is)
- Next trip to DR we get married (what docs/web link do I need to bring with me to get this done?)
- Once married we file an I-130 & G-1145 via mail or possibly in Santo Domingo? Will there be a G-325a required (just my SO no other siblings)
-Wait 9-12 months for the paperwork to be processed but in between what should I be doing / what else is required after we file this?

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
Ah ok it is starting to come together. I see I must apply at the state dept first? Then at the NVC? I am not quite sure when one mentioned the state dept and/or NVC what is this? I assume this is within the states? As far as a timeline/structures goes....does this seem accurate?

- File docs at the state dept & NVC (again no idea what this is)
- Next trip to DR we get married (what docs/web link do I need to bring with me to get this done?)
- Once married we file an I-130 & G-1145 via mail or possible in Santo Domingo? Will there be a G-325a required (just my SO no other siblings)
-Wait 9-12 months for the paperwork to be processed but in between what should I be doing / what else is required after we file this?

Do you live in the U.S. or the DR?

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
One advantage to marrying in the LRD is that if you have been married more than two years, when the spouse enters the US then the spouse is eligible for naturalization (US citizenship) in three years instead of ten years. .

One of the eligibility requirements for U.S. Citizenship is to be a green card holder for 5 years, or 3 years if married to a U.S. citizen. And if the latter, the non-citizen spouse may submit an application as early as 90 days prior to the 3rd year anniversary of having been granted permanent residency.

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
US - I have been going to DR monthly since Sept but that will change to every 2 months w/ my next trip again in April or May.

OK. First, if you are going to go the I-130 route, then you must get married to your fianc? before you file the I-130. One of the documentary requirements for the I-130 is going to be your marriage certificate.

Once you get married, where you file the I-130 is going to depend on where you live. If you live in the U.S. then you must file the I-130 with USCIS. They have a couple of locations depending on what state you live in.

Once USCIS approves the I-130 (and it's going to take awhile) they will send the approved I-130 to the NVC themselves.

The NVC will send the I-130 to the U.S. embassy that has jurisdiction over your spouse's foreign address - in your case - Santo Domingo.

Once Santo Domingo receives your wife's approved I-130, then she files for an immigrant visa with the U.S. embassy.

After she receives her immigrant visa she comes to the U.S. and is admitted as a lawful permanent resident.

Tt_er

Jan 30, 2016
OK. First, if you are going to go the I-130 route, then you must get married to your fianc? before you file the I-130. One of the documentary requirements for the I-130 is going to be your marriage certificate.

Once you get married, where you file the I-130 is going to depend on where you live. If you live in the U.S. then you must file the I-130 with USCIS. They have a couple of locations depending on what state you live in.

Once USCIS approves the I-130 (and it's going to take awhile) they will send the approved I-130 to the NVC themselves.

The NVC will send the I-130 to the U.S. embassy that has jurisdiction over your spouse's foreign address - in your case - Santo Domingo.

Once Santo Domingo receives your wife's approved I-130, then she files for an immigrant visa with the U.S. embassy.

After she receives her immigrant visa she comes to the U.S. and is admitted as a lawful permanent resident.

Perfect! So first things first....get married! lol I thought I came across a list of what I need to get married in the DR but I can not locate it at the moment. Any idea on a link as to what items I should bring with me on my next trip?

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
Perfect! So first things first....get married! lol I thought I came across a list of what I need to get married in the DR but I can not locate it at the moment. Any idea on a link as to what items I should bring with me on my next trip?

Since it appears that you are not going to file anything until you return to the U.S. after getting married, the only things you'll need is whatever documents the Dominican Republic requires for you to get married in the Dominican Republic. I would definitely not return to the U.S. until after you receive a certified copy of your marriage certificate. You are definitely going to need that to file the I-130. If you and your spouse have ever been married before, you are also going to need proof that those marriages have been terminated (divorce decree or death certificate of ex-spouse).

Tt_er

Jan 30, 2016

I actually just paid my US Attorney for the pre-nup but now another question comes up. If we get married in DR in two months how do we validate the pre-nup? I would assume she is not able to sign once here since we are legally married so now what should I do about pre-nup to make sure it is valid once she is here? She will have to sign it in the DR it seems but with my US Attorney (who does speak Spanish if that matters) I don't quite understand how it will be valid here if she signs over there?