Is the DR yearning for the "golden age" too?

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
Article in today's NYT makes me think, is the DR yearning for the golden years of Trujillo?

Headline in today's NYT: "30 Years After Revolution, Some Filipinos Yearn for ?Golden Age? of Marcos". Replace a few words and I think we got something... 50 Years After Revolution, Some Dominicans Yearn for ?Golden Age? of Trujillo.

Over the past several years I hear, more and more, specially from the older generation, that we need a strong hand at the wheel. Maybe not a dictator but a 'dictador con respaldo popular'. The reason for this sentiment is mostly driven by the high crime and corruption today.

I wonder if the DR gets a Trump-like candidate (no nonsense, owes no favor to the politicians or the business class) would he win? Are we yearning for the 'golden age' where the DR$ was at par with the US$, we owed no monies to international institutions, a sanki can rule Europe and Hollywood with his charm, crime was non-existent....

PanfilodeVaca

Jan 12, 2014
You mean the golden age of 1960 when the life expectancy was 52 years, one of the lowest in the Caribbean?

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
You mean the golden age of 1960 when the life expectancy was 52 years, one of the lowest in the Caribbean?

Really? Wow! You learn something new every day. Was the life expectancy in the DR really that low? .. I googled "life expectancy in 1960" and was surprised to see that on average worldwide the life expectancy for both sexes and all races was 69.7. So 52 is pretty low. I wonder if Dominicans were dying of bad colds or due to political-Itis.

Dying young vs having financial stability, low crime, decent standard of leaving, a middle class, low unemployment, low cost of living, decent road system, etc.

Note: my understanding is that as long as you stayed out of the generalissimo's way you were ok. Maybe even die of old age.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
Article in today's NYT makes me think, is the DR yearning for the golden years of Trujillo?

Headline in today's NYT: "30 Years After Revolution, Some Filipinos Yearn for ‘Golden Age’ of Marcos". Replace a few words and I think we got something... 50 Years After Revolution, Some Dominicans Yearn for ‘Golden Age’ of Trujillo.

Over the past several years I hear, more and more, specially from the older generation, that we need a strong hand at the wheel. Maybe not a dictator but a 'dictador con respaldo popular'. The reason for this sentiment is mostly driven by the high crime and corruption today.

I wonder if the DR gets a Trump-like candidate (no nonsense, owes no favor to the politicians or the business class) would he win? Are we yearning for the 'golden age' where the DR$ was at par with the US$, we owed no monies to international institutions, a sanki can rule Europe and Hollywood with his charm, crime was non-existent....

Trujillo wins every single poll that i have heard due to the fact that on a dictatorship like his, he was the ONLY ONE that could afford to be a criminal, i have heard multiple members of my family say that you could sleep on the streets with the pockets full with money,,,is that kind of security the people want since the good for nothing goverments we have had over the last 20 years have done nothing to have a minimum of security like it was before that time frame...YET the price for Trujillo's PAX ROMANA is a very bloody one, this Marcos from Philippines is just a Boy compared to Trujillo.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

Headline in today's NYT: "30 Years After Revolution, Some Filipinos Yearn for ?Golden Age? of Marcos". Replace a few words and I think we got something... 50 Years After Revolution, Some Dominicans Yearn for ?Golden Age? of Trujillo.

People should be careful what they wish for. A fair percentage of the older Russian generation wished for a return of Communist rule which would have been regressive in today's world. What's ironic is, a former KGB agent, Putin, used that sentiment and the political vacuum gap created by the fall of Communism to create his own corrupt political empire. The result is an increase in poverty, an increase in violence and drugs, very little rule of law, and blatant use of bribes and kickbacks to conduct business in Russia.

Despite the problems in the DR, they have an established democratic (supposedly) political structure. One that requires more evolution as ours did in Canada. Canadians have been at this for hundreds of years. We still have crime and corruption, maybe not on the same scale as the DR, but it still exists despite our laws and the will of our political leaders to eliminate it.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Everyone everywhere idealises and reminisces about the good old days when people could leave their doors open, neighbours looked out for each other, there was no litter on the streets, etc. etc. Dictatorship, democracy, communism, fascism, doesn't really matter.

Mar 1, 2009
Trujillo connected the country and brought order to a land riddled with mini "revolutions" that would topple governments in less than a year or two.
He stabilized the finances, foreign debt was OUT OF CONTROL, their we're loans on top of loans and he paid them all.
He truly dynamized the economy by increasing exports and internal consumption.
He cultivated as many local talents as possible so unlike now Dominicans would not have to leave their country.
He attempted to put Haiti on stable footing by supporting candidates he thought would be the best, the USA does it and it's ok.
He also made numerous diplomatic treaties with Haiti visiting PAP on occasion, on one of those visits he took the Haitian flag kissed it and loudly affirmed the African blood running through his veins (Bernardo Vega).
During one of Haiti's constant catastrophes Trujillo sent food and relief to the country he then sailed into the harbor on his yacht Angelita and the Haitians started chanting "Papa Tru'lil, Papa Tru'lil""....(Mario Reid Vittini).
He raised the standards of the Armed Forces and made them 1st rate.
He paid attention to the always forgotten border areas and them safe, putting in schools and much infrastructure.
He brought in foreign investors and industries so the people could work and the proletariat have higher living standards and then live that life with dignity (people walked around barefoot waay back in the day, he put in factories for shoes and sandals).
He electrified the country, the infrastructure he put in is pretty much the one that lights up the country with additions by the nincompoops in govt.
He broadened higher education which was then used by the commies to infiltrate and destabilize the country.
He put more funds into primary and high schools, his investment into education was so vast and profound that many of the Dominican greats came from that educational system, Yaqui Nunez, Rene del Risco, Freddy Beras, Pena Gomez, Rafael Abinader.
One of the things that many very much often overlook is that Trujillo broke the back of the elites in the country, the Vicini's, Bonettis, Porcella's who were part of the old white spanish class system that prevented mobility in society back then.

If you were not part of that class of people, if you were not white and had some money, you went NOWHERE.
Trujillo destroyed that apartheid system and integrated society, blacks, whites, mestizos ALL now had an equal fair share or at least more of a chance to get ahead.
Haitians were not persecuted or pushed out since Pena Gomez was Haitian and some soldiers who fought in the civil war of 1965 were Haitian. So it's not true what they say about his HATE, his evil SATANIC MISSION TO PURGE THIS WORLD OF HAITIANS. Hahahahaha...
It's heresy to speak of these things in DR or amongst many others because of the brainwashing that the victors or rather the murderers of Trujillo implemented.
They had to make him seem like the most EVIL BASTARD on earth to justify his murder before the masses who would give their lives for him.

I now await like Beckett my executioners to come for having spoken truth to power.
Ta taaaaa....

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCccccccccccccc

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
He WAS an evil bastard and also a TRAITOR that made his name by killing dominicans Patriots under a foreign invader's flag, not to mention the HUGE SWATH of land that he gave to the Haitians for FREE on the border treaties, his first action as a lone political leader was to order the killing of one of his last opponents along with his PREGNANT wife...so if that is not an evil bastard, what it is?

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
hhe wanted the small farmlands in the Nagua rea for himself and when the farmers would not sell, he had them all shot and their bodies were thrown into the Atlantic where they washed up onto the shore with the change in tide . he murdered peole who stood in his way . He did NOT do all the things that Lando credits him for . He was a thug and it was a disgrace that the USA propped him up for so long .

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
According to Mr AE, Lando and airgordo are both right, and Kipling's post is the reason his grandmother buckled when he wanted her malecon fronted land. Today it's worth billions

One of his houses is on our corner, he spent a lot of time here. Our maid was a little girl when he died and I just got an earful when I asked about him. No love for him here. Says no one was allowed in the water at "his" beach, and he'd choose 2-3 girls to stay with him. When he was in residence, no one walked around outside.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
And never forget the The Mirabal Sisters, Las Mariposas ...........

THAT and trying to destroy the NEW local catholic church establishment were his final BIG mistakes...that Beast did not last more than 6 months after he killed the butterflies and their driver (which people never remember but VOLUNTEER to drive for them Despise the great danger)

I say the NEW local catholic establishment because for much of his time as the ruler of this place, the catholic church fully aligned with him, that changed later with a wave of very brave priest that reached the vattican.