DR Police force

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
Can someone tell me about the Police force in the DR? Is there just a national force, or are there also municipal and local police forces?
Do they hire civilian experts in various fields (ie. forensics; fingerprints, ballistics, etc)?
Does a person have to be a DR citizen to work for the police?

<sub> i know, i know, everyone wants to say the police are corrupt, they arrest people without cause, beat people, are just looking for bribes, etc, etc... that's not the info i'm looking for here...</sub>

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i know, i know, everyone wants to say the police are corrupt, they arrest people without cause, beat people, are just looking for bribes, etc, etc... that's not the info i'm looking for here... JJSK

But tell me this, is that why you are joining the force? :)

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
busted!

<sup>damn, you're onto me... my dream in life is to join a nortoriously corrupt police force in a foreign land, take my aggression out on innocent people and make hoards of pesos from bribes... ;) </sup>

No, seriously; I just thought I'd try to evade the obvious police bashing comments that are no doubt about to surface in response to my questions. I'm looking for <i>different </i>information.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The pay is very low, thus many police employees are compelled to accept bribes. Mind you, giving bribes to the police is more difficult now than before. The Amet (transit police) are known not to accept bribes (I wonder if its true?).
I am not sure if you would like to work for a low salary job which would not even cover your expenses to live a decent lifestyle.
I think, a foot cop makes about 4 k pesos a month and transit police officers make a bit more. People with lab / forensic work experience may make a bit more than a regular employee (again, you must speak spanish to be even considered for the job).
Amet is hiring many young girls for various positions in all over DR. These cute girls are basically limited to guiding traffic and some secreterial work in the main head quarters of each city. Like most of the dominican guys, these amet guys keep their new female recruits very busy with their verbal sexual abuse. I know one of the chiefs of amet in santiago, the last time I was there to take out missing_dr jeepita....all we talked about (with the chief) were the chicas and how he would love to get it on with the new recruits.
So be aware of this situation before you jump at the very first opportunity to join the force. Come to think of it, you may just like the young guns in uniforms. You would have your pick among all the studs.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
AZB,

Beware! I read this week in the newspaper that 5 people in Santo Domingo were taken into custody for trying to bribe AMET officers (in one day). Pap? Candelier is not a guy you want to mess with.

Candelier for president! :)