First time to DR

McCool

Feb 1, 2002
Traveled the North Coast - Jan 4 - 18 We have been reading the board for over 6 months and had never posted because what did we know, hadn't been to the DR yet. Well, can I tell you, this was the most incredible trip. The reason for visiting the DR is that we are mid-40's, total burn-out from US corp. life and want to see if retirement is do able on our investments. We'll after what we saw, I think it is. We met so many people who have been where we are and have been very successful in creating their island lifestyle. We met Bushbaby and Ginnie, AndyB and Nicole, Pedro and Monique, Nadine, Annette, and Alexandre who all gave us great insite into living in the DR. While traveling along the North Coast I do think that we experienced everything that had been written about, plus a few extras! We stayed mostly in local Inns, prices ranging from $28 to $50, with most Breakfast included. We speak very little Spanish, but through our broken Spanish and their broken English we were able to do quite well. This is just a long, rambling list of some of our experiences: Fresh lobster on the beach for $9, crystal clear turquoise water, beautiful people, sweet smiles, shoeshine boys, dogs locked together and no one except for us seeming to notice, lots of Europeans, no Americans, hot, hot, hot discos, motoconchos with up to 5 riders, motoconchos carrying laundry, propane tanks, lumber and even a washing machine, our Taxi driver took us to his mothers home for Breakfast, Farmers markets, brightly colored Dominican homes, miles of sugarcane fields, everything is no problem, unable to use debit card - had to wire home for money - this really impressed our kids, Havana Club, Nuevo Mondo after 2:00 am dancing in a smoke and foam filled pit, cock fights on Monday night, travelers diarrhea-prescription medicine without prescription at local Colmando, Amber Museum, Colibri bar, Titanic snorkeling site, Caribe bus ride $5, Helados, celebration for 3 Kings Day, Fuerte de San Felipe, Pastor Franciso Martinez Sarita of the Primera Igleasia Bautista (school for 700 children), Internet cafes, a $100 Taxi ride (yes, we did get taken - learned our lesson) and yes rum, coffee, and cigars! We enjoyed being tourist, but this would be a great place to call home. We are planning our next trip!

ArJay

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for the report

Sounds like you hit a lot of places. Did you stay in POP or Sosua or Samana? Where would you not go back to?

McCool

Feb 1, 2002
We stayed 3 nights in POP at the Puerto Plata Beach Resort $28, we would definitely do that again - great value for the $$$, really enjoyed Iguana Hotel (2 minute walk to beach in Las Terrenas), probably the only place we wouldn't stay at again was the Ocean Reef Village in Las Terranas - nice enough - but completely empty.

ArJay

Jan 1, 2002
Las Terrenas

Thanks for the info.

I stayed in a little mom and pop in Las Terrenas. It was European, quaint, fun etc. The beach is lovely. I'll be going back. But there's so much to see all over, it's finding the time to do it all!

McCool

Feb 1, 2002
We spent most of our time in Las Terrenas and Las Galeras. We enjoyed the activity in Las Terrenas and the pristine playas of Las Galeras. It was a nice combination for us.

DR people

Your post is very interesting, sounds like you had a great time and saw a lot of territory,
One thing with the likes of Bushbaby and Ginnie, AndyB and Nicole, you had the right people giving you insite into the DR.
Although I have never met them yet, from what I know of them they are good people and would not steer you in the wrong direction.

McCool

Feb 1, 2002
At Bushbaby's we met JohnS. We hated that JohnS had a totally different experience with the DR than what we did. I was taken aback to read his postings when we returned home. We had done considerable research on retirement outside US and wanted to visit the DR without our rose colored glasses on and too network with as many expats and local Dominicans as time permitted within our 2-week stay. This is the first trip where we really did step out of the box and not book any hotels except for the first 2 nights. From the message boards and surfing we were at least a little familiar with what to expect so there were no harsh surprises. People who are regular posters are making it much easier for us newcomers.