The 25 Best Caribbean Islands, Ranked. DR#2 !!!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
#1 "best Caribbean island" was Puerto Rico?

To rank the islands, we factored in each one's average hotel room costs using data from Hotels.com, the flight time from New York City, the number of attractions listed on TripAdvisor, and the amount of coastline offered per square kilometer.

Factors: Flight time from NYC, cheap lodging and square kilometer of coastline? With no measure of value or quality involved, this ranking is accurate. "Cheapest and closest" is the new "best".

Apr 7, 2014
#1 "best Caribbean island" was Puerto Rico?

Factors: Flight time from NYC, cheap lodging and square kilometer of coastline? With no measure of value or quality involved, this ranking is accurate. "Cheapest and closest" is the new "best".
Yea. Fly in, fly out. Beach, pool, eat, leave. Sounds accurate using solely those parameters with PR winning because you dont need a passport and (real) English is spoken almost everywhere.

Sep 4, 2012
Yea. Fly in, fly out. Beach, pool, eat, leave. Sounds accurate using solely those parameters with PR winning because you dont need a passport and (real) English is spoken almost everywhere.

Am assuming the criminality didn't play a role on this, neither did the bankruptcy theme developing in PR.

Coastline in PR dense than DR?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
don't be such debbie downer. parents need to cheer the achievements of their kids, no matter how small. :cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

Sep 4, 2012
don't be such debbie downer. parents need to cheer the achievements of their kids, no matter how small.
:cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

That writer will fail miserably in the DR1 forums, man, he'll get so many infractions for posting stuff he has no experiences, exposures or ideas about. Then ranking and comparing, that will do it for him to get banned...lol

In all seriousness, I truly believe that field exposure and experiences with the places rated would yield a better summary and metrics for travelers to make an informed decision. Google is nice but must be taking with a grain of salt, however.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
That writer will fail miserably in the DR1 forums, man, he'll get so many infractions for posting stuff he has no experiences, exposures or ideas about. Then ranking and comparing, that will do it for him to get banned...lol

In all seriousness, I truly believe that field exposure and experiences with the places rated would yield a better summary and metrics for travelers to make an informed decision. Google is nice but must be taking with a grain of salt, however.

By the look of things, Tripadvisor has now joined that list.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
excuse me, having no idea what you're talking about does not result in infractions and banning or there'd be no posters left :laugh::laugh::laugh:

the writer's methodology is adequate to the light approach to travel: close, cheap, nice. at least they focused on reviews regarding local culture and nature rather than man made attractions. it's kinda hard to rank such thing as caribbean islands as really this is something non measurable and very subjective.

DR scored quite high, good for DR.

Sep 4, 2012
excuse me, having no idea what you're talking about does not result in infractions and banning or there'd be no posters left :laugh::laugh::laugh:

the writer's methodology is adequate to the light approach to travel: close, cheap, nice. at least they focused on reviews regarding local culture and nature rather than man made attractions. it's kinda hard to rank such thing as caribbean islands as really this is something non measurable and very subjective.

LOL....concur.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006

Agreed.

I own property in the DR, and have visited the Bahamas. That is it. I wish I had the other 48 weeks per year to explore the other destinations on the list to form my own opinion. Maybe someday I can write my own list, but unless someone can spend a few weeks in each place, both in all inclusives ,and roaming the countryside, it is nearly impossible to write an accurate list of the best places in the Caribbean.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012

Rubbish. Having worked in PR for over many years, the truth of the mater is the farther away you get from San Juan/Carolina, the less you'll find english spoken.

And, WHERE did they come up with those avg cost per night? I say the whole article is utter drivel.

Apr 7, 2014
Rubbish. Having worked in PR for over many years, the truth of the mater is the farther away you get from San Juan/Carolina, the less you'll find english spoken.

And, WHERE did they come up with those avg cost per night? I say the whole article is utter drivel.
I didnt write it, man. I say real english as more comprehensible there than compared to DR resort english "My fren, me show you good today, eh-trip...you stay for like?"

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
The 25 best Caribbean islands, ranked. DR ranked #2 of 25.

I'm not sure if anyone has posted or read/seen this article.

The 25 best Caribbean islands, ranked
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-25-best-caribbean-islands-ranked-2016-2

A couple of surprises... #24 - Haiti, #2 - DR and #1 - PR

Here is what was said about the DR, ranked #2,
"is home to some of the Caribbean's most diverse landscapes of mountains, desert terrain, colonial buildings, and beaches. There are a whopping 1,036 activities..."

PR, ranked #1:
"... takes the No. 1 spot thanks to its affordable hotel rates and a staggering 1,056 activities travelers can enjoy."

PR won based on hotel rate and activities? Wow!

It sounds to me as if the article was written by a pro PR reporter. After reading the above and below articles it all makes sense, PR is in financial trouble and needs all the good publicity it could get to get its economy going again.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/21/investing/puerto-rico-foreclosure-crisis/index.html

Best of luck to PR attracting tourists and investors. What's good for PR is good for DR.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'm not sure if anyone has posted or read/seen this article.

The 25 best Caribbean islands, ranked
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-25-best-caribbean-islands-ranked-2016-2

A couple of surprises... #24 - Haiti, #2 - DR and #1 - PR

Here is what was said about the DR, ranked #2,
"is home to some of the Caribbean's most diverse landscapes of mountains, desert terrain, colonial buildings, and beaches. There are a whopping 1,036 activities..."

PR, ranked #1:
"... takes the No. 1 spot thanks to its affordable hotel rates and a staggering 1,056 activities travelers can enjoy."

PR won based on hotel rate and activities? Wow!

It sounds to me as if the article was written by a pro PR reporter. After reading the above and below articles it all makes sense, PR is in financial trouble and needs all the good publicity it could get to get its economy going again.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/21/investing/puerto-rico-foreclosure-crisis/index.html

Best of luck to PR attracting tourists and investors. What's good for PR is good for DR.

this article was written by someone who was charged with the responsibility of getting in a piece by a deadline date. there is no real merit to any of these articles which denote one destination as being better than the other. they are all, for the most part, carbon copies of each other, once you gey to the top 10.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
this article was written by someone who was charged with the responsibility of getting in a piece by a deadline date. there is no real merit to any of these articles which denote one destination as being better than the other. they are all, for the most part, carbon copies of each other, once you gey to the top 10.

Not so sure Gorgon. They seemed to have criteria and a methodology. Most of the islands are a carbon copy, but I would say the DR is not being a much larger island with way more diversity in the landscape across the country.
This goes to show the DR could be by far the best Caribbean island if it were to change its policies of screwing over the Gringo. If they would actually make the conscious effort just to change the legal system to let the locals know not to mess with the tourists or expats, like all the other islands, it could really blossom into the premier destination location.
It would be one thing if they had other industry, but they rely on tourism and expats and just screw them in the legal system and that allows for the open season on the "gringos".
It actually is a very simple answer to fix the DR, and you don't have to change every person in the culture, just a few basic top down edicts and enforcement could turn this island into the destination. Do I think there is a chance of that happening? Unfortunately no.
There is that story of Sodom in the bible about finding 50 Righteous men to save it. I think in the DR you would need to really define what righteous means, and never come to a conclusion (at least from a Dominican point of view).

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Not so sure Gorgon. They seemed to have criteria and a methodology. Most of the islands are a carbon copy, but I would say the DR is not being a much larger island with way more diversity in the landscape across the country.
This goes to show the DR could be by far the best Caribbean island if it were to change its policies of screwing over the Gringo. If they would actually make the conscious effort just to change the legal system to let the locals know not to mess with the tourists or expats, like all the other islands, it could really blossom into the premier destination location.
It would be one thing if they had other industry, but they rely on tourism and expats and just screw them in the legal system and that allows for the open season on the "gringos".
It actually is a very simple answer to fix the DR, and you don't have to change every person in the culture, just a few basic top down edicts and enforcement could turn this island into the destination. Do I think there is a chance of that happening? Unfortunately no.
There is that story of Sodom in the bible about finding 50 Righteous men to save it. I think in the DR you would need to really define what righteous means, and never come to a conclusion (at least from a Dominican point of view).

i presume that this series of essays is directed at the tourist crowd. since all the islands are based on the AI business model, which tends to keep tourists sequestered on the hotel compounds, i really do not see the impact of landscape diversity. i am yet to meet a foreigner who has seen an alligator at Lake Enriquillo.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
i presume that this series of essays is directed at the tourist crowd. since all the islands are based on the AI business model, which tends to keep tourists sequestered on the hotel compounds, i really do not see the impact of landscape diversity. i am yet to meet a foreigner who has seen an alligator at Lake Enriquillo.

The criteria used was: For this ranking, we used four criteria: accessibility, average cost of a hotel room, number of attractions, and a beach density index score,

I'll agree it is targeted at tourists, but the criteria is not for AI models. The point is based on these factors, the DR would look very attractive.
I do have to say that I didn't know of alligators in the DR either. I guess another new surprise. I have to say I have never heard a story about someone having an incident with an alligator, but I heard plenty of stories of people having issues with the justice system.
I'll relate a newer story I heard about someone's car being robbed, the police caught the criminal (or were told where he is through other channels) who admitted to it and had some of the goods still with him. He said he threw out the passports, so nothing was really recovered.
The judge then said even with an admission and caught with the goods the evidence was not sufficient and that sometimes the police pressure people into confessing. He made the sentence extremely light, 2000 pesos to get out.
Sorry to go off topic a little, but if that type of thing was added into the criteria, I think the DR ranking would fall a little bit.