Casa Marina Beach

Travlwizz

Feb 2, 2002
Greetings everyone, from Alberta Canada! I am a travel agent who is all set to travel to the DR for the first time, on Feb 07th for two weeks. Accommodations are at the Casa Marina Beach - 17 of us travelling together. I need some suggestions as to tour companies to support while we are there in the DR and those to avoid. We are Canadians of course and would prefer to avoid the US dollar due to the awful exchange rate...so any tips will be greatly appreciated. We are an active group and some want diving, horseback riding, jeep tour, cycling....others want to be able to be chauffered around and see the sights. Also any other hints you can offer! I am on vacation but I know people will be looking to me for advice as to what to do and what not to. Many thanks in advance for any help!

Deb

Travlwizz

You had better start scouring the internet and find some information about the DR and the Sosua area if you are going to impress your clients. Being the travel agent they are sure going to look for you for advice.
Lots of information available here on http://dr1.com
just start looking, printing and reading.
Some other links to visit are

http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com

http://www.drpure.com/drpure/index.php?topic=Sosua

Now is the time to do the research! Something a good travel agent would do for any area they havent been to.

Travlwizz

Feb 2, 2002
Casa Marina et al

Thanks for the words of advice Hlywud! I have been researching the DR since the trips were reserved last August so I feel I have more than done my "homework". There are several tour operators in existence in the area we are going to and my question was more...who is the best to use? The people I am travelling with are friends, not particularily clients and they all have books that I obtained through my various resources as a travel agent and I have emailed them many web sites to read as well. www.hispaniola.com is a great site for anyone out there wanting information. There is even a Spanish speaking section with wave files so you can hear the actual words and phrases. I am not out to impress my travelling companions, just trying to get some information to help us all have a pleasurable time in the Sosua area. I am a tourist, same as they are...the travel agent "hat" stays at home....as I said, we are all pals.

There are always hints that folk who have been there before can pass on to others, so I was looking for that kind of thing, moreso than information pertaining to the destination in question.

I thank you for taking the time to reply! Much appreciated. The drpure site is wonderful!

Last edited:

Travlwizz

Feb 2, 2002
Thanks for the posting Jim....too late for any of us to change our reservations now! I have repeat clients who frequent the place every year and we booked it on their say so. Seems after reading your review, that the place does not have much going for it. There are more reviews on Debbies Dominican site and there were a lot of positives ....so lets hope for the best! Maybe things have changed since you were there in 98....?

If not, then we cross that bridge when we come to it. We are travelling with a Canadian tour company, Air Transat Holidays so the rep will know me on a first name basis is things are as bleak as you say in your review.

john harper

Jan 1, 2002
Good resort,food though is so so.Getting into the water is very tricky as it is rough at the best of times. Their is an exchange house as you come out of the resort it gives you the best rate in sosua,or it did.Also you exchange can. dollars to pesoes. As far as tours don't worry they will find you,most offer the basically the same thing,so it's up to you to bargin the best price,it's a dominican thing as you will learn. Also when you leave get your booze ect. to bring back before you hit the duty free at the airport,their prices are not to good,in some cases more money then back home at regular price.Have a good trip and do walk around sosua and check out sosua beach. Watch crossing streets as they WILL run you over,and if you have time go to cabarette, esp, for you shopping. hope this helped...

john harper

Jan 1, 2002
I forgot to mention,the beach resort and the reef are connected,so on a night when you get tired of the food at the resort ,the waterfront restaurant is next door to the reef,do go for a meal,you won't be sorry.For jewellery go to Harrisons,if you want good stuff but be prepared to pay..

TSS

Jan 27, 2002
Travelwizz
As a travel agent I don't undersatnd why you would go with Air transat or Transat vac. unless of course you had NO OTHER CHOICE I mean really they have been confirmed to be the worst in the business. Even on their own website (atleast last year) they confirmed how bad their air flights were for being late. From my own experience I have travelled with them twice the first had a 8 hour flight delay and the second had a 24 hour flight delay. AS compensation they were prepared to give us 2 free drinks and a free set of head sets for our trouble. HMMMMMMM for a $1500.00 TRIP AND A LOSS OF A FULL DAY. HMMMMMMMMM I don't think so. Sorry to rant but the wounds still hurt.

SwanSong

Jan 19, 2002
I havent' heard any of this about Air Transat before. I'm shocked and a little worried. Is it that bad? Should I be expecting a bad time with the flights? Sucks as it is that you have to be at the airport for a 6:00 am flight - which means be there by 3:30 - but now thinking that I am goign to be stuck there for a day ro so waiting to fly anywhere scares me....

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Hey Deb!

Hi Deb. Be sure to head to the Brittania pub on Pedro Clisante (the main street in Sosua), Barb and Linden (owners) are from Calgary (where my wife and I are also from). They will have all kinds of advice for you and your group. The beer is cold, and you will get all the advice you can bear! There is also a large expat community that hangs out there that you can chat with.

Be sure to also check out Rocky's Bar near Harrison's jewelry store (couple blocks from the Brit), also owned by a Canadian (Marc) where you may also find the advice that you need, and more expats just haning out sipping cervezas.

Make sure you take the time to talk to the locals at these pubs before booking tours. They will point you in the right direction, and also help you save cash and have a better vacation by renting private drivers, going to beautiful beaches off the beaten path, etc.

good luck!
marc

Travlwizz

Feb 2, 2002
Britannia Pub etc

Hi Marc, thanks for the advice! We will surely check that out first off! We will be happy to chat with folks from Calgary and the other parts of Canada. I am sure they get "hungry" for news of home...I know how I feel when I travel and bump into a Canuck.

We will also check out the other places you mentioned, it is always great to have some good leads when you go anywhere and I appreciate the help! I will post something when we return.

Cheers! Deb

Travlwizz

Feb 2, 2002
Air Transat Holidays

Hi TSS, well here in Western Canada we are without a whole lot of choices...I have been an agent for 15 years now and it was either Transat or start rowing! I was a staunch Canada 3000 supporter and look what happened there. True, Transat has a bad reputation in the travel world, but you hear bad things about them all! Sky Service, Royal Air, they all have had their problems. I feel badly for your experience....did you send in a letter to the customer service people or have your agent send off something for you? Aircraft are mechanical and subject to problems if that was the reason for the delay and I would certainly want all of the problems fixed before I boarded one.

It seems that they should have compensated you with more than they did...but I was not there and do not know all of the circumstances. I do know though from past experience, that the squeaky wheel gets the grease!

Thanks again for the input!

Deb

AT debacle

Jim the Badger (my old boss)February 2001, schedules flight 6:10 am Toronto to Panama City, arrive at airport 3:00 am, check in, do the customs thing, wait in boarding lounge. 5:55 am board plane and get ready to take off. Problem? everyone deplanes at 6:30 am and sit in lounge and waits. Questions get asked, what is wrong. 9:30 am answer is given. All was set to go but someone forgot to book the pilot, yes no pilot but he was on his was in from Montreal, yes Montreal.
1:30 pm depart Toronto. Day 1 lost
Customer service sent letter re: debacle. Wasted paper and stamp, received a free seat selection for next flight.
His Next flight with AT will be never, seat selction vouchers and letter now framed in his office as a reminder.