Golf Las Terrenas

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Nothing is impossible, but find it unlikely the golf course will be built. Samana is a jewel of a place, but the expensive toll road, and the announcement by JetBlue of the suspension of the NYC flight are not contributing to the numbers needed to build and maintain a golf course. In my opinion, the golf course will neither be the draw to make the difference.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

Always in the planning and the location is well known to residents of Las Terrenas. Land had been secured and pleasing to hear they are about to start........again?

The location is clearly evident form the Google Earth map below.

Plenty of Europeans play golf and live locally in this expanding community.

https://www.google.com.do/maps/plac...0x8eaf8838def1b6f5:0xa6020f24060df7e0!6m1!1e1

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
its the water usage.....golf course uses tre mend ous amounts of water......

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Nothing is impossible, but find it unlikely the golf course will be built. Samana is a jewel of a place, but the expensive toll road, and the announcement by JetBlue of the suspension of the NYC flight are not contributing to the numbers needed to build and maintain a golf course. In my opinion, the golf course will neither be the draw to make the difference.

I agree 100%.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
and add to the mix the fact that golf is slowing down as a sport.

Many reports show a steady decline in golf... too expensive, too much time, too difficult....
are some of the reasons listed..

Very few courses being built anywhere.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
not true totally.
yes they are building less but the economy has been so bad, its just a correction. There are in fact projects in various stages of construction in USA. Golf playing is not declining per se. You may see smaller courses like 9 hole courses, they are getting popular again.

Last edited:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Always in the planning and the location is well known to residents of Las Terrenas. Land had been secured and pleasing to hear they are about to start........again?

The location is clearly evident form the Google Earth map below.

Plenty of Europeans play golf and live locally in this expanding community.

https://www.google.com.do/maps/plac...0x8eaf8838def1b6f5:0xa6020f24060df7e0!6m1!1e1

I believe it when I see it. I LOVE that area of LT(la Ceiba), it s a bit away from the action,but close enough. To be honest, I wished they just built houses over it.

As far as, local residents sustaining the golf course, I really doubt it. Based on my observation, most French are more of the Petanque type than Golf.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
not true totally.
yes they are building less but the economy has been so bad, its just a correction. There are in fact projects in various stages of construction in USA. Golf playing is not declining per se. You may see smaller courses like 9 hole courses, they are getting popular again.

I read somewhere that the number of players have decline steadily because they didn't manage to attract new players (especially among young generations).

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
golf is going no where anytime soon.

Did I say golf is about to be extinct ??

I said the number of players/golf courses has been declining in the US, yet there are still millions of players and courses being built despite that trend. Also, it is growing in other parts of the world.
I am no golf aficionado, just what I read.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2015/04/economist-explains-1

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/12461331/number-us-golf-courses-steady-decline-says-report

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I read somewhere that the number of players have decline steadily because they didn't manage to attract new players (especially among young generations).

That is the consensus in the US, 'Frica

Asia is a different animal.... The USA has lost 5M of 25M members/players... as I read it
New courses = higher green fees... than older courses, so it's self defeating, IMO

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
one thing in the usa is the baby boomer generation is not playing as much. most sit in bars now and watch golf. Young people these days are not into golf or many sports if it costs money. They don't have jobs. golf has really never been a young persons sport many times starting later in life. ever been to a golfsmith lately? still a huge market.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The course is half built (as a quick look at the google earth link I previously posted will confirm with the lakes formed as the original plans)and no doubt it will be largely funded by the sale of golf course villas which if you check past plans are well laid out.

The crash in 2008 knocked back many real estate projects throughout the Caribbean but over the past year plans are being dusted off and developments are taking shape again everywhere and especially higher end developments.

DR weathered the storm with it's AI developments continuing through that difficult period, but it comes as no surprise that some higher end developments are now kicking into life now in DR like the Miches one recently announced.

Such a real estate development in LT in those empty acres stretching from town to Playa Bonita is a good use of space imo. Lots of houses would simply add to the traffic chaos in the town.

Yes. Las a Terrenas Golf and Country Club ( as it was previously named) would be a bonus for the area and clearly the municipal council are right behind the developers as reported in Infos Diarios the other day.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Oh, I understand... I myself quit after a lifetime of golf, and a single digit handicap

You're right, the younger generation is not entering and the older are giving it up.
Where does that lead? Less players.

Read the USGA stuff - they're worried and trying to reverse the exit flow.
Too many exiting, not enough entering....simple

We'll see

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
246qebo.jpg

Photo of golf course construction in LT several years ago

Link re development some years back by developer then

http://www.altijdzon.nl/gated-communities/las-terrenas-golf-country-club/

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Oh, I understand... I myself quit after a lifetime of golf, and a single digit handicap

You're right, the younger generation is not entering and the older are giving it up.
Where does that lead? Less players.

Read the USGA stuff - they're worried and trying to reverse the exit flow.
Too many exiting, not enough entering....simple

We'll see

The LT developers will be aiming at the likes of you not the younger generation to dip deep in your pockets and buy in.