Reservations Necessary?

Toddy

Jan 10, 2002
Hi everyone. I don't think this post should provoke the same level of controversy as did my previous one.

I am wondering whether it is necessary for me to make reservations in the hotels in which I will be staying in the Dominican Republic. I plan to stay in moderately priced (not inexpensive but not more than US$50 or $60 per night) non-resort hotels throughout my trip. I have a rough itinerary planned right now, but nothing is firm. Is there any chances that my first choice of hotels will be filled?

Thanks,
Todd

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Reservations

First come - First served. Do not be overly concerned about having to make hotel reservations in advance because of fear your first choice hotel may have no vacancy. The only time you may have a concern is during holidays and weekends near resort or festival areas. If you are providing your own transportation you can afford to stop along the road to check out the hotels you pass along the way. I have found this an ideal and economical way to find accomodation. If you still have your doubts, buy a telephone calling card when you arrive in the DR, use it to phone ahead to your planned stops. As always, if you have some Spanish language skills, talk with the locals, they may give you some good leads. Regards, PJT

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
You probably don't need one, but don't count on it. Depending on the property and time of year, the DO fill up at times.

The good news is that with the exception of some of the big all-inclusives, most don't require a deposit or credit card guarantee in order to make a reservation.

The bad news is that even if you have a reservation, they will "lose" it when convenient and overbook their property without remorse, as has happened to me at more than one property (not just in the Dominican Republic).