Another fine example of what kind of crap does politics in this country

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Election time. Tis the season. What better way to beat your competition then to have them shot dead :speechles

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
.......and perhaps one is now seeing very clearly that the criminalization of carrying of firearms can be a good solution in a country still with the possibility of doing just that.

I pray the legislators do just that this parliamentary session. The latest action affecting the opposition following the death of a ruling party official make this more likely than ever.

I have no problem if people can own a firearm for personal and family protection at home as the old law was aimed.

I doesn't solve the problem immediately but it takes some guns out of daily encounters providing the carry penalties are very high indeed as proposed.

Criminals will still carry but who cares a f*** if they get caught or better eliminated Dominican police style. Give the police a chance. All persons who carry subsequent to such new laws would be doing so illegally and are a risk to society.

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
The criminilization of carrying firearms will do absolutely nothing to stop this as anyone that wants a gun can and will get it here. It's the wild west and nothing is going to change that for many years. Better to carry your own gun and be ready to use it if necessary. There are no laws here or at least they're never enforced so better to have your gun.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Every time I read in the news that another person was shot in his car I think that it was a good idea and not a waste of money to armor my car.

And this has nothing to do with the prohibition of carrying of firearms (which will never happen here, I hope). Who said that the gun used to kill him was the legal one? I am 100% sure that ballistic checks will find no match with any of the legal guns in the database.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
.......and perhaps one is now seeing very clearly that the criminalization of carrying of firearms can be a good solution in a country still with the possibility of doing just that.

I pray the legislators do just that this parliamentary session. The latest action affecting the opposition following the death of a ruling party official make this more likely than ever.

I have no problem if people can own a firearm for personal and family protection at home as the old law was aimed.

I doesn't solve the problem immediately but it takes some guns out of daily encounters providing the carry penalties are very high indeed as proposed.

Criminals will still carry but who cares a f*** if they get caught or better eliminated Dominican police style. Give the police a chance. All persons who carry subsequent to such new laws would be doing so illegally and are a risk to society.

I completely disagree with you.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
interesting article in el caribe today regarding violence associated with elections. in the last 26 years 200 people were killed during political campaigns. 1994 was the bloodiest, with 40 deaths. that was the year when pe?a gomez lost to balaguer in what was allegedly a very dirty and violent election. following that there were 16 deaths in 1996 (leonel won against pe?a gomez), 13 deaths in 2000 (hipolito won against danilo and balaguer) and 19 deaths in 2004 (leonel won in primera vuelta).

so far, 3 people were killed in this electoral process: mateo aquino febrillet (PRM, march), erasmo antonio medina and yeral p?rez y p?rez (both PLD, december).

the article: http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2016/03/15/conflictos-internos-partidos-tinen-sangre-campana

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
what i want to know: is he still a candidate for a diputado? :rolleyes:

Interesting. You cannot stand if you have a criminal record i.e. una afficha, but I don't think you get that until found guilty. However the JCE can reject any candidacy which they have to do by Friday I think. Plus registration was yesterday so he might have not been able to register.

Matilda