Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Motorcycle Safety

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chic View Post
    im a peanut shell vietnamese plastic for my small run to errands....and a full dot older for rides....
    No need to wear the novelty helmet because it's as good as wearing nothing.

Look at the findings of the Otte study if you need proof.
    Last edited by ADV Moto; 03-14-2016 at 10:49 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    do you also sell helmets?
    Our bikes come with a DOT modular helmet in high-vis colors.

3. Likes waytogo liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrecksum View Post
    One of the greatest scourges in the DR is unregulated motorcycles. They are a menace and yet an economic form of mobility for many working people.
    A great source of income for the forces of order (Giggle,love the name-'Forces of Order'!), and an expression of youthful freedom to auto-annihilate and population control,thus helping the Darwinist balance,unless precocious breeding has already occurred.

I hate them all,
    with a vengeance!

But have to admit that a solution is not yet available and an alternative form of cheap public transport (and injury) is not easily foreseen.

Loud pipes save lives!

Yeah,right!
    Learning to drive a motorcycle properly would be preferable....
    There is a "system" to the traffic patterns here. When you learn them driving here is much easier.

Drop me your email address and I'll send you an ebook (just tell me the format you want: .doc, .pdf, .mobi or .ebook) that goes into detail about the traffic patterns and threats on the roads.

I will admit there are many on the road in pre-suicide mode...and don't even know it.

The secret is navigating the roads as a corpuscle in the bloodstream...be part of it instead of expecting everyone to abide by the written laws in an orderly fashion.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ADV Moto View Post
    There is a "system" to the traffic patterns here. When you learn them driving here is much easier.

Drop me your email address and I'll send you an ebook (just tell me the format you want: .doc, .pdf, .mobi or .ebook) that goes into detail about the traffic patterns and threats on the roads.

I will admit there are many on the road in pre-suicide mode...and don't even know it.

The secret is navigating the roads as a corpuscle in the bloodstream...be part of it instead of expecting everyone to abide by the written laws in an orderly fashion.
    Can you tell us when and where to expect the motos to be going against the flow of traffic? That would be great!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    Can you tell us when and where to expect the motos to be going against the flow of traffic? That would be great!
    Everywhere.

Always expect the unexpected.

7. Likes waytogo, corsair74 liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thread!!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thread. I rode all my life and my first bike was a BSA 650. I have owned nearly every fast bike made. Always liked being king of the hill. Only one Hardly Davidson as they are too big too heavy and too slow. Favorite was zx1100, fastest was Hayabusa. Rode in Ca., NY and Fl. Lots of miles, lots of close calls. Took the safety courses and became intetested in safety. I invested in full protective gear and the best full fsce helmets. Majority of misses for me with cars not seeinge and turning left in my path. Riding a motorcycle safely is very difficult in the US and impossible in the DR. Its like the wild west on the roads here. Add in alcohol, no 911 system, very poor hospital care and its near suicidal. In the US I always changed out my headlight for one of those ilegal super bright bulbs. If I left it on hi beam for very long it would melt the plastic lens. Ditto for tail light and they blinked. I feel lucky to have survived riding in the US. From time to time I get the itch but common sense kicks in and saves me. These days its a big vehicle, ice cold ac, and dark tinted windows with an icy Presidente jumbo. Besides its hard to drink beer on a bike, especially, if you are being dafe and wearing a helmet. Just my two cents. Dont let me stop you from having fun on Dominican highways and good luck.

10. Likes Ecoman1949 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ADV Moto View Post

That's right on point, since the flow of traffic is almost fluid for the riders and not so much for the onlookers. Even the sound of your vehicle plays a part on this. Revs, etc...

The least you try to seek rules and just let the flow set the timing of your speed and direction, the better and safer the ride.

You don't try to block them from your path, but more like smooth the way for either part to flow unimpeded.

Car drivers have learned, from experience, that's always wise to leave enough room for the flow of the bikes than to try and impose them.

One funny and interesting aspect and oddity of sorts to this free flow, is when the bikes are hauling a cargo, bigger than just a rider on back. They tend to behave like a full sized vehicle than a moto in traffic.

They would avoid the side on the lane and occupy the lane itself as much as possible.

Same thing when they are towing (more like pushing) a disabled moto on their side and a bit ahead of their own. Much like a tow truck.

But one thing one must admit is that the most problematic and disorderly drivers on two wheels happen to be the 50cc and under moped/scooters. They are the gnats of the road.
    One Dominican at a time please!

12. Likes ADV Moto liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Now I think of it, the only time I have seen riders in the DR using the right gear is on Robert's tours.
    I have yet to see a local geared up correctly.

I'm a big supporter of all the gear, all the time. 5 mins down the road or 8hr road trip, the risks are the same. I'm Klim'd up (jacket/pants) here in Colombia with plenty of D3O protection.

Interesting that the majority of the helmet impacts are in the chin area, another reason to use a full face helmet. Currently I have a "flip-up" Shoei Neotec, so I should be covered.

Currently riding a KTM 1190 R (2015) all over Colombia. I must say, the roads are fortunately superior to the DR and the drivers for the most part a little more educated.

14. Likes beeza, ADV Moto, DRob, corsair74 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Great thread. Just in time for me: never driven a moto, but starting the training this month.
    Reason: will have a few days in Bonaire and as far I know there are no motoconchos/buses there.
    Let's see if I get addicted.
    (Another Island with no conchos: Saint Maarten.)

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast