Trip to Haiti

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Would a few folks like to get together for a trip to Haiti? I have an old van that can carry 8 of us comfortably. We'd all share expenses. Not something for me to make money from. Let's discuss it here a bit and see what we can come up with.
Der Fish

Mopar man

Oct 27, 2015
Hi Derfish,

I think this is a good idea !!! I have visited the DR each winter for the past four years, I usually spend 4 to 5 months there. I have always had a interest in Haiti.

In December of 2014 I traveled on my own from Puerto Plata to Cap Haitian for one week to see if I could get a feel for the place.

It was a interesting, though short, visit. For me the two things that were the most challenging were the high costs of accommodation and language barriers.
I am retired guy from Western Canada and am unfortunately a uni-lingual English speaker ... lol.

I am often puzzled why Haiti seems to generate so little interest on this forum, a good example would be the lack of response so far to your posting suggesting this trip.
Sure, Haiti is a f--cked up sorta place in many ways :-( ... but I found the people to be very welcoming on my short trip and I never felt in danger or at risk at any time in my little trip

Unfortunately I have just returned to Canada this past week, partly to avoid Samana Santa ... lol, and to get a few things done up here. But I am tempted to return for a month or so.

It will be interesting if your trip suggestion generates any more interest ???

Cheers
Dave

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
I am interested for sure!

I have concerns about safety though.
My Husband is Dominican. We were in Dajabon about 1 yr ago and walked over to the bridge over the River des Massacres. He was told by a Haitian: Vete pa' tu pays! (Go back to your country).

On the + side, I speak French if that helps.

How long of a trip were you thinking?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I could be interested depending on proposed length of trip and where you intend to go. But a friend of mine booked a two week visit to Port au Prince last year and returned after only a few days, because there were so many "no go" areas in the city. He said it was as if the earthquake happened a couple of months ago.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I am interested for sure!

I have concerns about safety though.
My Husband is Dominican. We were in Dajabon about 1 yr ago and walked over to the bridge over the River des Massacres. He was told by a Haitian: Vete pa' tu pays! (Go back to your country).

On the + side, I speak French if that helps.

How long of a trip were you thinking?

I had in mind maybe a week or less. Yes I have found that those who speak French can pretty much converse with the Haitians.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
never mind the pictures, answer the questions.

I meant pics of him poking himself in the eye with a sharp stick.
I didn't consider your questions worth answering, but here goes. As far as why go to Haiti, why not?
Most of my American friends and family assume i am nuts to come to the DR.
I am sure the cost of keeping the old van running will be less in Haiti than it is here.
I ain't slept in a vehicle for 40 years. As kids yes we used to save money by sleeping in the car
when we went from Georgia to Colorado to go skying. But I am a bit old for that.
The van has 2 bench seats that seat 3 people each and my driver's seat as well as a seat on the right side in front.
It is the type of van that some bus services use as here in the DR as guaguas and load them with twice that many peeps.
It takes me about half an hour to pack, so no I am not going to start as yet.
Der Fish

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
I?d be interested just from the curiosity side, we are so close, so why not. But I think you?d have more luck (with me too) with a possible itinerary (hotels were we would stay at, map of the route and a photo of the transport jijiji). More like what a travel agency would do.

One of my best friends is Haitian and she has never been (has a DR ceduala) and would love to go and help and certainly make if interesting. I have a few more friends also interested (like me, just curious, we all live in the Sosua area).

I?ve always wanted to go to JACMEL. I?ll be back in 10 days, if you want to chat more and make up a plan?

single travel

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I?d be interested just from the curiosity side, we are so close, so why not. But I think you?d have more luck (with me too) with a possible itinerary (hotels were we would stay at, map of the route and a photo of the transport jijiji). More like what a travel agency would do.

One of my best friends is Haitian and she has never been (has a DR ceduala) and would love to go and help and certainly make if interesting. I have a few more friends also interested (like me, just curious, we all live in the Sosua area).

I?ve always wanted to go to JACMEL. I?ll be back in 10 days, if you want to chat more and make up a plan?

single travel

Be back to Sosua? PM me when you get here and we'll get together at Rocky's or some such place and see what we can come up with.
Der Fish

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
Derfish, I have been to Port a Prince and found it to be one of the worst places on earth (and I have been almost everywhere including Africa) I have several business associates that are Americans who basically did what you're talking about here and almost didn't make it back alive. They are experienced travelers and told me they never felt so unsafe in their life's. They were packing heat and almost had to pull them out several times. If you go through with this please plan your itinerary to stay in the tourist areas and avoid going off into the unknown. From everyone I've talked to it is extremely dangerous for gringos and I also felt very uncomfortable in Port a Prince, and I'm fearless. I would not even consider taking an older van or something that is not 100% dependable into that country. When I went their and landed back in the DR I almost wanted to kiss the ground as if I was a returning POW. Please think this through.