Greetings!

LoveShy_101

Jun 30, 2015
Hello everyone! I've been following this site for a while now and greatly enjoy reading the various threads in the forum, but this is my first post. I wanted to say hello to everyone. I'm travelling to the Dominican Republic in two weeks for the first time. Both for a relaxing holiday and also to visit my partners family for the first time. We both live in Europe and I'm originally from the UK. I'm really looking forward to the trip and to hopefully positively contributing to future posts on this site.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Where in DR?

DR-1 is not for the faint of heart. Keep a gimlet eye and a thick skin.

And welcome.

LoveShy_101

Jun 30, 2015
Thanks for the welcome and words of caution- my skin is of medium thickness so I'll see how I get on. We're just finalising our itinerary however we are planning a tour along the South. Santo Domingo, Boca Chica, San Pedro De Macoris, La Romana, the National Park and then finishing off in Punta Cana. I would welcome any advice for good places to visit or things to see along the way. [emoji106]

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
By San Pedro de Macoris I hope you mean Juan Dolio as I haven't seen anything in San Pedro worth spending time on. Juan Dolio on the other hand has beautiful peaceful beaches and sort of a wannabe Miami Beach feel to it (not even close but trying). Welcome and enjoy your trip here. We have had several UK visitors and they loved the DR so I hope you enjoy your stay. Again, Welcome!!!

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Thanks for the welcome and words of caution- my skin is of medium thickness so I'll see how I get on. We're just finalising our itinerary however we are planning a tour along the South. Santo Domingo, Boca Chica, San Pedro De Macoris, La Romana, the National Park and then finishing off in Punta Cana. I would welcome any advice for good places to visit or things to see along the way. [emoji106]

So maybe the trip to S.P.de Marcoris is bc you are a baseball fan? Otherwise, not really worth it. There is a place btwn SPDM and La Romana called Cueva de Marvaillos that is a one-thousand or more year old cave 25 meters below ground that goes for (they think) 6.3 kilometers, and is believed to have been a sacred and/or burial site for the Taino. It was discovered in 1839 and was named as a World Heritage Site in 1949. Magnificently maintained, with all of the bells & whistles to protect ancient sites that we expect in the 1st world but don't always exist here. Like handicapped walkways; no fots in the caves; scrupulously clean; motion-sensor lights so that the pre-Columbian cave art is protected. I worked for a long time as a museum professional in the US and I was blown away by the level of understanding for the value of this kind of site. It's between La Romana and SPDM, and it is definitely worth a stop. Admission to the museum and then a guided tour with a docent is RD$300.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
cueva marvaillos

So maybe the trip to S.P.de Marcoris is bc you are a baseball fan? Otherwise, not really worth it. There is a place btwn SPDM and La Romana called Cueva de Marvaillos that is a one-thousand or more year old cave 25 meters below ground that goes for (they think) 6.3 kilometers, and is believed to have been a sacred and/or burial site for the Taino. It was discovered in 1839 and was named as a World Heritage Site in 1949. Magnificently maintained, with all of the bells & whistles to protect ancient sites that we expect in the 1st world but don't always exist here. Like handicapped walkways; no fots in the caves; scrupulously clean; motion-sensor lights so that the pre-Columbian cave art is protected. I worked for a long time as a museum professional in the US and I was blown away by the level of understanding for the value of this kind of site. It's between La Romana and SPDM, and it is definitely worth a stop. Admission to the museum and then a guided tour with a docent is RD$300.

I second that ...the cave are a must see
and welcome

LoveShy_101

Jun 30, 2015
Thank you all for the great advice. We'll definitely be checking out the caves- sounds lovely! Xx