International Exports

Ron_read

Feb 4, 2002
sosuatradewinds.com
Can anyone help me with export costs from DR to USA, I am looking into exporting Rattan furniture.
I have a home in Sosua, work in Minnesota and would like to establish a business that will permit me to relocate in the DR.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Furniture from the DR to US

Well you need to find out what the shipping costs are by the container. There are or were two sizes last I looked into it. 20 ft and 40 Ft. There are probably only 2 or 3 companies that deal with that.

Then you need to contact US Customs and ask them what the duty will cost you. You need a freight company to pick up the container/s from the Dock and ship it to... Then you need someone here to warehouse and distribute for you. Then you need sales people (manufactures reps) to sell the stuff. Then you need a credit manager to get paid for the stuff.

You will probably need a showroom in High Point North Carolina if you are going to do this big time.

Not going to be cheap unless you know something you are not sharing with us:)

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Export Costs

Several companies ship to Port Everglades and Port of Miami in FL, as well as Jacksonville, FL, and probably NY. You must use a DR freight brokerage to ship, but you will also use them to find the costs to do so.

A 20' container will cost between $3000 and $4000 to ship to Miami, cleared and ready to load onto a truck to the interior of the US, and it is probably safe to assume $1.50 - $1.75 a mile after that.

For a 40' container, figure the shipping cost to Miami from Sto Dgo would be $4000 to $5000. Because the trucking costs after clearance is the same cost for either a 20' or a 40' container, if you can fill a 40' , go for it, and reduce your per-unit cost of shipping. Otherwise, have the freight unloaded in Miami and reloaded on a separate tractor trailer .

The costs above include delivery to the port in the DR, DR freight broker costs, Ocean freight, US Customs clearance and port charges, and the costs for the US freight brokers. Trucking cost is separate within the US.

You need to also check with a US freight broker as far as other issues such as US Customs for termite inspections, etc concerning wood items shipped into the US, and what you need to do regarding this.

Also- you need to really check out all of the documentation that is required by the Dominican department that is supposed to "Promote" exports, as their requirements are quite extensive, and it is possible their function is to promote paperwork.

Also- the DR is a signatory with the US on the Caribbean Basin Iniative, which allows almost all products manufactured in the DR to enter the US as duty-free. There is a similar treaty with Canada. The US freight broker you talk to will be able to answer all of your questions about this, or you can find it on the Internet under "C.B.I."

Good luck.

Last edited:

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: Export Costs

GringoCArlos said:
Several companies ship to Port Everglades and Port of Miami in FL, as well as Jacksonville, FL, and probably NY. You must use a DR freight brokerage to ship, but you will also use them to find the costs to do so.

A 20' container will cost between $3000 and $4000 to ship to Miami, cleared and ready to load onto a truck to the interior of the US, and it is probably safe to assume $1.50 - $1.75 a mile after that.

For a 40' container, figure the shipping cost to Miami from Sto Dgo would be $4000 to $5000. Because the trucking costs after clearance is the same cost for either a 20' or a 40' container, if you can fill a 40' , go for it, and reduce your per-unit cost of shipping. Otherwise, have the freight unloaded in Miami and reloaded on a separate tractor trailer .

He will also need a warehouse to ship the container to and then to drop ship it to stores, assuming he has reps on the road selling the stuff and maybe a showroom to display the stuff in.

Not a cheap venture to start. Normal terms in the Furniture Business is 2%10 Net 30 days and they always take 60 days to pay if they don't take the discount. Add on the lead time to manufacturing etc and you need a big box of Pesos to fund this baby.

Scott

Santos225

Mar 14, 2003
Hi there,

we are a Belgian based International Trading Company with subsidiary companies in the Dominican Republic (Santo Domingo), London UK, Lome (Togo) and Cotonou (Benin). Our corp business is second hand clothing and we are going to set up a rebaling cusiness in the Puerto Plata Zona Franca. We are going to live in Sosua and we know the possibilities and the administration of the Dominican Republic very well. It will be my 25 th. Trip to the Island in 6 years time.
My wife is a native Dominicana from Santo Domingo. I myself read, write and speak fluently Dutch, French, English, German and Spanish. As You might have heard there is a 100 % taxe exemption if Your business is locateds in a Zona Franca. You will never pay taxes to the Country and can do what You want with Your benefits. There is no controle on Zona Franca located Companies. I will be in Sosua from the 15 th. January until the 31 st. January 2005. If You want us to meet and maybe You can join us on our address in Puerto Plata Zona Franca who knows we can do business together?
If You should be interested, please do let us know where we can reach You by mail, phone/fax.
Kind regards,
Ponjaert, Jean Pierre

Last edited by a moderator:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Jean Pierre,
What IS it with you & all these old posts?????? Is this some form of advertising ploy to get your company in front of us all without paying advertising dues?? That will be frowned on by "The Management" you know!!!

Try looking for something of max 3 months (rather than 3 years) to resurrect & tone down a bit on marketing your own company if you wish to gain peoples good wishes/respect on this board!! I mean, I know things come late in the DR but threads that are 2 or 3 years old?????? Most of these posters have moved on MILES since then!! ~ GRahame.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
BushBaby said:
Jean Pierre,
What IS it with you & all these old posts?????? Is this some form of advertising ploy to get your company in front of us all without paying advertising dues?? That will be frowned on by "The Management" you know!!!

Grahame, it was pretty clearly that. If you think they are spammy now, you should have seen all these posts before management got to them! :tired: