leaving!!!

islandeyes

Jan 19, 2002
I came to this country in june of 2001.i have lost all papers that i came with except my birth certificate.I am from the united states and now want to go back.I have been here for about 8 months now.I know that you have to pay a 10 dollar fee to leave if you stay 3 months and if you want to stay longer you have to go to the airport and buy mnore papers but I didn't do that.I just want to know what it is going to cost to get out and what problems i will have losing the papers they gave me when i entered the country. Thank you in advance.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Mala suerte...

During the government of Leonel, Immigration would charge you an amount based on how many months you had stayed past the legal limit. But even that wasn't set in stone, as I frequently avoided paying anything at all with a few tears and some sob story...

Last April however, when I was leaving the country, I found things at POP to be much more professional and structured and was forced (darn) to pay $15 USD.

Even then, I wonder what would have happened if I simply hadn't had it.

Don Fabio?

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Paying an extra $10 or $20 to leave is the easy part. The hard part is what you have to do before leaving:

1) Report the loss of your documents to the Police and obtain a certification of your report.

2) Obtain from the Immigration Department in Santo Domingo a cetification regarding your date of entry into the D.R.

3) Obtain a new passport from your Consulate.

4) Go with these docs to the airport and pay the extra $10 or $20 exit tax.

lilsam

Santo Domingo Sammy
Jan 2, 2002
Register with Consulado

Any american living in any country abroad for any amount of time should always register with the consular office of the US in they country they reside in. I lost my passport once when I went to the consul they had a record of me. I at that time got a new one the same day since I was on record. I then had to go to the third floor of the Government Palace (Immigration and get a copy of my yellow temp residence book. Umm also good Idea to stay the legal way less hassles when you need help. Lil Sam

Last edited:

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Lilsam, I absolutely, totally agree with you. Stay legal.

I lived in Sosua for 7 years - completely & totally illegally (Hi, Don Fabio!). I worked (in an office right below Don Fabio's - hee hee), lived freely, and fortunately never had any problem due to my non-status. Of course, it was a bit nerve-racking now and then - especially that time Imigraci?n hauled all those gringos off to la capital and deported them. A tad worrisome. Then, the awful tension at the airport every time I left - the dramatics (crying and stuff), ass-kissing, etc. Much nicer to move about freely, knowing you're not vulnerable in any way.

(In my denfense: some of us don't *have* thousands of dollars on reserve - I know, I know, isn't it sad...)

But the number one reason to get legal: having a cedula is too cool.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Jane J. said:
Lilsam, I absolutely, totally agree with you. Stay legal.

I lived in Sosua for 7 years - completely & totally illegally (Hi, Don Fabio!). I worked (in an office right below Don Fabio's - hee hee),

Why did you leave? Did it get old living in a nice climate with low wages?:)

Scott

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Since you asked...

Actually, I earned decent wages. I left so that my children would receive proper educations. My wages weren't so great that I could send them to the International School or anything - and even if they had been, I know they'll be better off here. So when my son hit kindergarten age, we left.

It was a definite trade-off, cuz we were doing really well and were very happy there. However if you're familiar at all with Sosua, you might be inclined to agree that it's perhaps not the best place to a raise a young family...

Don't get me started on this topic - I could go on forever -but thanks for asking...Still waiting to see your photo on the other thread - hee hee.