Cost of living?

robjaztec

Mar 24, 2016
I'll be living in Santo Domingo. I have two questions. Some have mentioned that it's expensive to start up. How much money each month USD would I need on average to live in Santo Domingo? Also, have any of you experienced getting a car or bike, and do you have suggestions?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
You can live at whatever level you like. If you have an income of $1400. you can probably make it, but many say it takes twice that much.
Buying a car here is very expensive. A car that would go for $400.00 in the USA will cost $2000.00 here and one that you could buy for $2000 there will cost $5000 here in the Dominican Republic.
You can buy a brand new 100 cc motorcycle for less than $1000 USD though.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Greater Santo Domingo is a spread out urban area and has a population of close to 3 million and there are a wide range of living options and costs.

Assuming you will be living somewhere central.....National District......you should be able to rent decent secure furnished single accommodation for about 500US monthly. You will probably be required to deposit at least a couple of months rent as security and give references. Utilities will come in under 100US monthly.

Forget your own transport initially (especially motorbikes which for the inexperienced would be very dangerous) until you have a DR license which you can only get with residency and your foreign license is only legal for a limited period. I say that because gringos get stopped frequently by police in Santo Domingo and documents get checked. Your own taxi will cost you a maximum of 250rd per journey within the city within reason or less and there is Uber here too. You can try the shared taxis for much less or perhaps live near a metro station.

You should be able to live comfortably on 200US weekly and my advice would be to locate yourself within close walking distance of supermarkets and banks.

Home in on likely work location first and then research suitable places to live nearby.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Greater Santo Domingo is a spread out urban area and has a population of close to 3 million and there are a wide range of living options and costs.

Assuming you will be living somewhere central.....National District......you should be able to rent decent secure furnished single accommodation for about 500US monthly. You will probably be required to deposit at least a couple of months rent as security and give references. Utilities will come in under 100US monthly.

Forget your own transport initially (especially motorbikes which for the inexperienced would be very dangerous) until you have a DR license which you can only get with residency and your foreign license is only legal for a limited period. I say that because gringos get stopped frequently by police in Santo Domingo and documents get checked. Your own taxi will cost you a maximum of 250rd per journey within the city within reason or less and there is Uber here too. You can try the shared taxis for much less or perhaps live near a metro station.

You should be able to live comfortably on 200US weekly and my advice would be to locate yourself within close walking distance of supermarkets and banks.

Home in on likely work location first and then research suitable places to live nearby.

Uber is in SD and from those I know who use it say its cheaper than driving when consider gas and parking inconveniences

robjaztec

Mar 24, 2016
Thanks as always guys, good info! Derfish mentioned buying a 100cc bike for under 1000 USd. How would I buy that, dealers, Craigslist, other?

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Thanks as always guys, good info! Derfish mentioned buying a 100cc bike for under 1000 USd. How would I buy that, dealers, Craigslist, other?

dont even think about doing that in santo domingo. you wouldnt last 20 minutes alive

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009

Supermarket Jumbo on Luperon often has specials on for motorbikes. RD24000-34000 for a 100-125cc brand new bike. As a new gringo to the city you'll probably have that taken off you by either thieves of AMET or PN, or knocked off and killed within a few days.
The single necessary biggest expense is a car imo, I wouldn't live anywhere in DR without a vehicle. It's horrible when you can't even go shopping without relying on others, so imo is a must. And part of living in the country is the freedom to move around it. Anyone
living on alternative transport has massive headaches and restrictions doing this.
You can buy a car cheaply, but it will be 'cheap' and you don't see many gringos in these for a reason.
Moving to the Capital, ughh, got a depressive headache just contemplating it, good luck.:cross-eye

Be careful where you move to as a stranger for RD500 per month. In a decent furnished home that is going to be in a not so nice barrio. Unfurnished you could do it in a half decent zone. As you gain experience your price mark will come down. But the city is not a place to scrimp on when green on the place. Better money will buy better security. Maybe look at $800 for the first 6 months, at least.
But Fish is correct, you can live on whatever you want, rd5000 to rd50000 per month

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I'll be living in Santo Domingo. I have two questions. Some have mentioned that it's expensive to start up. How much money each month USD would I need on average to live in Santo Domingo? Also, have any of you experienced getting a car or bike, and do you have suggestions?

Why Santo Domingo? I'm assuming you have a job there. Where are you coming from? Are you planning on being in the DR permanently or are you there on a temporary Visa? A little more info would give us a better idea of what you need.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

There are small franchised motorcycle dealers all over. There are probably a dozen here in Puerto Plata alone. Also check out the banner ad here on DR1 for ADV Motos. He is an American who has a motorcycle business here
I know a guy who has bought 3 new bikes in the last 3 years with $ 400 down and then monthly payments. He keeps getting them stolen, but never even reports that to the police, because he "knows it wouldn't do any good!"
Der Fish

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
He's almost certainly going to have his bike taken off him by someone in the Capital, be it the law or a thief.

As above mentioned also, why the Cap? If not for work then I can't think of a worse place to live in the country.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

Santo Domingo can be cheap, depends on where you are coming from and what type of western amenities you want.
It also depends on your negotiation skills and how well you speak spanish.
I recommend you really get to know your neighbors and the city before buying a motorbike, you may end up deciding its not a good fit for you.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you ask more specific questions, you will get specific answers.
Your questions are too vague.
Also tell us how much you have for your monthly budget, and how many Dominicans you will be supporting, hopefully NONE, they are "Budget Busters"!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

robjaztec

Mar 24, 2016
I plan to spend about $400-$500 US per month. A friend is letting me rent a place for $110 each month. My expenses besides that will be food, internet, utilities, and transportation. I plan to cook at home and have some entertainment but not much until I get grounded. If my budget makes since let me know.
I'll be in the capital for religious reasons. Maybe in a year I can think about moving. I plan to stay in the DR permanently. I have an online job. I know that when I first move I won't be able to get a car or bike but in the future this information will help me a lot!!! Thanks guys

Last edited:

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
You're not serious. That is evident and so why bother informing you. I do not think you have been to DR before have you. Or are you going out on the advice of a Dominican/a you met on a visit and fed you this false reality?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Santo Domingo can be cheap, depends on where you are coming from and what type of western amenities you want.
It also depends on your negotiation skills and how well you speak spanish.
I recommend you really get to know your neighbors and the city before buying a motorbike, you may end up deciding its not a good fit for you.

i knew one u.s. guy w/ duc motore hepaid for parking and had the best chain/locks...and used them

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
If you ask more specific questions, you will get specific answers.
Your questions are too vague.
Also tell us how much you have for your monthly budget, and how many Dominicans you will be supporting, hopefully NONE, they are "Budget Busters"!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

is this statement ttrue????

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
That budget for a single person in SD would be very tough and limited. I shudder to think of the place that you could get for only 110 a month. If you cook breakfast at home, find cheap options to buy lunch and dont drink or chase girls you might be able to pull it off but you would have a very limited lifestyle. I hope that you dont get sick or have to fix your tablet etc because then your budget would be blown. Best of luck, if you are really dedicated to your cause, you could in theory make it work. I was living on almost 10 x that much owning our own place clear and we still decided to move to America.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
500 $ for food and rest should be OK.... but dont expect fireworks with that.
what kind of place you wlll rent for 110 $ / month ? is your friend a Dominican ? do yu know what kind of plade it is and where it is ?

I plan to spend about $400-$500 US per month. A friend is letting me rent a place for $110 each month. My expenses besides that will be food, internet, utilities, and transportation. I plan to cook at home and have some entertainment but not much until I get grounded. If my budget makes since let me know.
I'll be in the capital for religious reasons. Maybe in a year I can think about moving. I plan to stay in the DR permanently. I have an online job. I know that when I first move I won't be able to get a car or bike but in the future this information will help me a lot!!! Thanks guys

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Its just a matter of time before someone asks if they can live here on 150.00 dollars a month