$400k Dollars for research of geothermal, biomass production and hydropower plants

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The IDB agreed to a technical cooperation grant of US $400,000 for three studies in the determination of the geothermal potential, biomass production and installation of small hydropower plants.

SANTO DOMINGO. The state 's commitment to renewable energy includes studies of identifying appropriate for the development of these projects and their subsequent tender areas.

This was expressed by the Minister of Energy and Mines, Antonio Isa Conde, who considered it necessary to organize the growth of renewable and "break the current scheme, which gives concessions to the calls."

To this end, the Inter - American Development Bank (IDB), through its Multi - Donor Fund for Energy and Climate Change, agreed a technical cooperation grant of US $ 400,000 to the Ministry of Energy and Mines (MEM). The donation is for the implementation of three projects studies determining the geothermal potential, biomass briquettes production and installation of small hydropower plants. The logistical support provided by the MEM and staff hired consultants IDB is estimated at US $ 80,000.

The first study will serve as a basis for developing geothermal projects in mountainous areas, where the cost of generation and distribution of conventional energy is very expensive.

Approximately 13% of Dominican households use firewood and charcoal for cooking, a figure that reaches 80% in Haiti. Hence the importance of determining the biomass production potential in the border area, bringing the environment to avoid felling hundreds of trees to produce charcoal would be protected.

As for small hydro, it is to establish a database with the location and distribution of hydraulic jumps potential for electricity generation as a guide for future investments in hydroelectric generation.

Antonio Isa Conde said the ministry also directed works to solve existing problems with permits and access to financing renewable energy projects often become work for the development of such projects.

http://www.mem.gob.do/index.php/not...izar-el-desarrollo-de-las-energias-renovables

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I really doubt the value of further researching geothermal in DR. It is a high capital cost renewable energy generation source and the proof is there on the adjacent volcanic islands with excellent potential and zero development to date. Biomass yes as well as small hydroelectricity plants.

I am very much for deep seawater technologies being developed in DR along with wind and solar power, and the potential is all around the coastline. See the report below from last year when deep seawater use for air conditioning was investigated regionally including Puerto Plata.

http://www.makai.com/makai-news/2015_07_24_new_renewable_energy_report_released/

Makai are already doing this in Hawaii and are also generating electricity from deep seawater when used in a heat exchanger with warm seawater and a low boiling point liquid such as ammonia.........

[video=youtube;LJV4d4XtHuo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJV4d4XtHuo[/video]

Deep seawater combined with warm seawater results in condensation and you can generate drinking water. Great for agriculture and aquaculture too.

The cost is in putting the pipes to deep water and the plant and equipment, thereafter it has a very low cost. Could be a fantastic option for new resort zones in the country.

DR wake up. PICHARDO tell your buddies.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I really doubt the value of further researching geothermal in DR. It is a high capital cost renewable energy generation source and the proof is there on the adjacent volcanic islands with excellent potential and zero development to date. Biomass yes as well as small hydroelectricity plants.

I am very much for deep seawater technologies being developed in DR along with wind and solar power, and the potential is all around the coastline. See the report below from last year when deep seawater use for air conditioning was investigated regionally including Puerto Plata.

http://www.makai.com/makai-news/2015_07_24_new_renewable_energy_report_released/

Makai are already doing this in Hawaii and are also generating electricity from deep seawater when used in a heat exchanger with warm seawater and a low boiling point liquid such as ammonia.........

[video=youtube;LJV4d4XtHuo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJV4d4XtHuo[/video]

Deep seawater combined with warm seawater results in condensation and you can generate drinking water. Great for agriculture and aquaculture too.

The cost is in putting the pipes to deep water and the plant and equipment, thereafter it has a very low cost. Could be a fantastic option for new resort zones in the country.

DR wake up. PICHARDO tell your buddies.

The temperature of the water in our region is much higher than there. The distance to cover to seek the ideal water at temperature is very expensive to pipe for the DR at the moment.

It was taken under consideration a while ago. But I can pass it along and see if something changed since that last proposal!

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The temperature of the water in our region is much higher than there. The distance to cover to seek the ideal water at temperature is very expensive to pipe for the DR at the moment.

It was taken under consideration a while ago. But I can pass it along and see if something changed since that last proposal!

Seawater temperature depends on depth of sea and you have plenty of deep water all around.

The link I attached stated Puerto Plata was considered very promising.

I had a quick scan survey undertaken by a Dutch company (Blue Rise) for nearby Caribbean island and they reported the island has deep seawater at 4 degrees C reasonably close. You need a 20 degree difference for this all to work very effectively. It is happening on Curacao and Martinique now for sure and others in the pipeline like New Providence Bahamas - Nassau.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Seawater temperature depends on depth of sea and you have plenty of deep water all around.

The link I attached stated Puerto Plata was considered very promising.

I had a quick scan survey undertaken by a Dutch company (Blue Rise) for nearby Caribbean island and they reported the island has deep seawater at 4 degrees C reasonably close. You need a 20 degree difference for this all to work very effectively. It is happening on Curacao and Martinique now for sure and others in the pipeline like New Providence Bahamas - Nassau.

The depth is very deep and the pipes very expensive...

I'm familiar with this. Like I said, i can pass it along...