Bus Ticket

May 17, 2011
Hello

I am planning a trip in late August. I need to get to Costambar, Puerto Plata which is where I will be staying.

The flight prices into POP are out of my range, so I was thinking of flying into STI or SDQ and taking the bus to
Puerto Plata, then either taking a taxi or motococho.

I have a few questions

* Which bus company am I better off with Metro or Caribe Tours? Also do I just pay when I get on the bus or do I
need to buy tickets ahead of time? If so where do I purchase the tickets?

* When I arrive in Puerto Plata via bus how far away is Costambar? Trying to see if I will be better off with a taxi
or motococho to take me into Costambar. Also will I have any problems finding a taxi or motococho near the bus stop?

* When I land in STI or SDQ what is the best most affordable mode of transportation to get to the bus station?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
For starters, check the time schedules of both bus lines -- Caribe Tours and Metro. I prefer Metro, but choose Caribe Tours if the schedule is more convenient.

http://www.caribetours.com.do/viajes

http://metroserviciosturisticos.com/index.php/horarios

You can buy the ticket at the bus stations.

Expect to pay around US$35 for a taxi from either airport into the city.
The exact rate is posted by the union that serves each airport. You can ask to see the posted rate.

Once you get into Puerto Plata you can catch a taxi to Costambar. Ask at either bus station to see the posted rates. Should be less than the airport taxi rate. There are taxis that hang out at the bus stations.

If you have luggage, wouldn't consider a motoconcho. I doubt there are motoconchos hanging out for fares at either airport. Definitely you will be by far better off with a taxi. Money well spent versus a motoconcho.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
The bus from STI to Puerto Plata is about 220RD and you will find many taxis and motoconchos at the bus stop. I use Caribe Tours because it is slightly closer to Costambar (by about 3 minutes) and not as cold AC as on Metro! Costambar will be 10-15 mins away. A taxi to Costambar will be 250-300RD and a motoconcho will be 100RD but safer with taxi especially at night.

Sorry I dont know the price of the taxi from STI to the Caribe Tours office, where you will buy a ticket and get on the bus.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
My experiences are that Caribe Tours is more luxuries, but Metro bus or Javilla Tours buses will drop you off at the entrance
To Costambar. Caribe Tours do not allow one to buy a ticket ahead of time. You buy a ticket and it is for the next outbound bus.
Plan on paying about 700 pesos from the airport by taxi in Santiago.

May 17, 2011
Thanks everyone for replying.

It looks like one person has stated that Caribe Tours will drop me off at the entrance to Costambar. Is that a scheduled stop or
do I need to ask the driver to leave me there?

Also when I buy tickets at the stations, do most of the attends speak English? I speak some Spanish but not good enough to
have a detailed conversation.

Is there any option of taking a motoconcho from the airport to the bus station? I might be traveling light with a
small backpack. However if there is not a big difference in price I will go for the Taxi.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
I have asked Metro and Caribe Tours drivers to let me off at the Costambar road several times. They all refused. Not a scheduled stop. I am guessing they might do it if there are not many people in the bus.

The ticket attendants (boletero?) do not speak English, at least in my experience. They may not speak at all. I go to the window, say "Puerto Plata", they extend a hand to take cash, give me back change and continue chatting with their colleagues. I have to ask... "Quel hora" and they answer rapid fire. "Donde" and they wave in general direction of the buses so I look for a little sign near the bus that says Puerto Plata or ask other waiting passengers. No detailed conversation.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
It is actually Javilla tours that will stop where one asks, I said Metro, but rethinking it it is only Javilla tours which has stopped and let me out at places other than the bus station.
Der Fish