Yet another rum question

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
The midwest may be America's breadbasket but it's also a rum desert for Dominican labels. However, I did see a couple rums in an aisle the other day and would like your comment. Brugal 1888 @ $50 and Kirk and Sweeney 12 @ $33. Thanks.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
brugal.
Never heard of the otherbrand. Probably a brand of the folks that bought Brugal and are using their stored rums...

Hb

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Never heard of or have ever seen Kirk & Sweeney. Brugal is usually all you can get in the US.

jefe de la finca

Sep 28, 2012
"Kirk and Sweeney 12 Year Rum is crafted in the Dominica for a company from Sonoma California called 35 Maple Street, which is the spirits division of The Other Guys (TOG). TOG is wine company led by August Sebastiani, a member of one of California’s oldest wine families. The Sabastiani family has been involved in the Californian wine industry since August’s great-grandfather, Samuele Sebastiani, opened his family run winery over 100 years ago."

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
And how is rum from another country connected to Dominican Republic rum?

Last edited:

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Instead of opening another thread.

Anyone heard/tried/drank/gotwasted on " new" brugal legend ?
Square bottle in a blue box.

I always take a diffrent rum home to my brother and running out of options.
Especially since there aint much typically dominican apart from rum and coffee, for guys. Vanilla, hair lotion and larimar for gals. ;
Thanks.

P.S. no he doesnt want a chica. :)

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
beware ....not every bottle in the duty free is actually cheaper than what you can buy it for outside of duty free .I bought a bottle of "papa andres" recently at the duty free in santo domingo...and could have bought it in new York cheaper
I think "duty free " is becoming a con job

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
beware ....not every bottle in the duty free is actually cheaper than what you can buy it for outside of duty free .I bought a bottle of "papa andres" recently at the duty free in santo domingo...and could have bought it in new York cheaper

You're right. Barcelo Crema is about $12-15US here, and a friend paid $40 in duty free. Not available at any price in US that I'm aware of.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014

The problem with that is the weight. If you buy enough bottles it can throw you off. The duty free is after the check in process. If you pack light enough no big deal. I got burned like this once.

Missed the New York part.........sorry meant if comparing outside in DR

dom

Jun 1, 2011
how much did u pay for the papa andres, i heard the price is 68.000rd

are u going to drink it ?

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
yes that is USD ...pity I didn't check before buying at the duty free.....but from now on I wont make the same mistake again ...fool me once ..shame on you...fool me twice shame on me