Suggestions for Killing Time In Santiago?

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I am going to the dentist tomorrow near in the Jardine area and will have 3-5 hours to kill waiting for the 6pm busto Sosua.
Looking for options to kill some time. Not really into monuments but enjoy shopping.
Anyone around that might want to meet?
Would a cab from Feb 27 near Caribe tours to Pricesmart be $150?
How long would it take?
Would I have trouble getting a cab from Pricesmart back?
Alternatively see there is a La Sirena about a 20 minute walk away. Is walking safe in that area?
Any other ideas please let me know.
Thanks!

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Also what are the carro routes?
Forget it just found this a little too overwhelming for a day trip.
In the North much easier only 2 choices.

All urvans routes are named by a letter.

A - From Ensanchez Libertad to Hoya del Caimito passing through the downton
B - From Yaguita de pastor to downtown
C - From Los Ciruelitos to Av. Valerio
E - From El Ejido to the downtown
F - From Cien Fuegos to the down town
G - From Gurabo to the downtown
H - From Hato Mayor to the downtown
K - From La UASD Av. Yapur Dumit to the downtown
L - From Matanzas To the downtown
M -This route makes circle around the city heading Av Estrella Sadhala and circunsvalacion
N - From Pekin and Crito Rey To the downtown passing through Nibaje
O - From La UASD Av. Marnaidy Reyna to the downtown
P - FRom calle Padre las casas & Buena vista ( la gallera ) to the downtown
R - From La Otra Banda to the downtown
T - from Tamboril to the downtown
Z - From punal guayabal to the downtown
ZP - from STI to the downtown

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
From the Caribe tours on 27th Feb it is about a 15 min walk to the internal plaza on JP Duarte, and a short taxi ride to Calle Del Sol in the City center. Both areas are safe during the day and I've been there at 10 pm with no issues.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Thank you for the suggestions.

I also just looked up Centro Leon. It looks interesting and there is a new exhibit opening and it's free today.
It looks to be a 30 minute walk up Feb 27 from the Metro Station. Would that be a safe walk?
It looks like on the way back if I have time I could stop by Plaza International.

Last edited:

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
People tend to blow things out of proportion, you'll be fine..................
Been in that area and many others over a 10 year span, not one time has anything bad happened........
Enjoy your time in Santiago, the food court in Plaza International is great.......

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Thanks Bob. I live in Sosua and walk everywhere so live by cars, motos etc. never stopping and continually looking both ways(lol).

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Depending on how the dentist visit goes you can go to the monument and across the street are several decent restaurants.

Last edited:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I have been trying to locate a map or directions list for these damn carritos since I moved up here to Santiago last year.
I have tried searching in both English and Spanish, with no luck. Where did you find this list??
Did it not include the PA or Q?

All urvans routes are named by a letter.

A - From Ensanchez Libertad to Hoya del Caimito passing through the downton
B - From Yaguita de pastor to downtown
C - From Los Ciruelitos to Av. Valerio
E - From El Ejido to the downtown
F - From Cien Fuegos to the down town
G - From Gurabo to the downtown
H - From Hato Mayor to the downtown
K - From La UASD Av. Yapur Dumit to the downtown
L - From Matanzas To the downtown
M -This route makes circle around the city heading Av Estrella Sadhala and circunsvalacion
N - From Pekin and Crito Rey To the downtown passing through Nibaje
O - From La UASD Av. Marnaidy Reyna to the downtown
P - FRom calle Padre las casas & Buena vista ( la gallera ) to the downtown
R - From La Otra Banda to the downtown
T - from Tamboril to the downtown
Z - From punal guayabal to the downtown
ZP - from STI to the downtown

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Maybe I am missing something here, but does Caribe Tours Bus to Sosua run more frequently than 3-5 hours? Also Metro runs
to Sosua also. But CT I believe is every hour to Sosua.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I did a search on dr1 and Bachata posted
The routes back in 2009.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Saw friend at Pricesmart and got some tuna.
Had a very good Angus burger suggested by the cashier and the
Berry smoothie. I was tempted by all the great reviews and watching them make the caramel frozen cappuchino
But it looked very sweet. Plus I love getting the berry when in the states.
then cabbed to Centro Leon.
Very nice exhibit and coffee shop as by then I needed some caffeine.
Not sure what regular admission is as today is free due to exhibit opening.
I timed it well as when I was leaving there were 4 Metro buses full of students.
Am back at the dentist in Los Jardianes.
Caribe does have more departures I think but it goes to Charamicos and I live in Sosua.
Saw Bella Mall enroute to Centre Leon but no Plaza International. We turned just before a white large structure
that may have been it.
Learned 3 things today when traveling take Cheap Samsung charger with me as it doesn't last all day.
2nd thing cab most places 150. Guy wanted 180 from Pricesmart but settled for 150 plus I gave Him mints for his cough.
3rd Metro won't sell bus tickets for 6pm bus until 5 pm.
Best bargain of the day taking the bus on Februario 27 from Centro Leon to Metropolitan for 15 cents.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i know a real "hole in the wall" bar w/a/c beer and girls... if you know what i mean??

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I am not interested in girls but might want to take out dinner enroute back to bus.
Passed Taco Express by Bbq Express, Sushi Ya though kinda skeptical of Sushi here and also Chef Pepper.
How are they or do you have any other suggestions like pizza, chicken or veggie sandwich, salad. No ham, no Dominican as have that most days.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I have eaten at Sushi Ya several times, have never been disappointed..........
Their food (fish) was always very fresh...........

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I have eaten at Sushi Ya several times, have never been disappointed..........
Their food (fish) was always very fresh...........

What do you get there? I do go to The Sushi place in Sosua
But get chicken teriyaki and California roll. I love tuna but not sure thats good to get here.
I think I saw a Thai restaurant named Satay in a strip mall at Metropolitan and Februario 27.
Any good?

Last edited:

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Best bargain of the day taking the bus on Februario 27 from Centro Leon to Metropolitan for 15 cents.

That bus goes the length of 27th de Feb and ends up in Cienfuego. The bus reminds me of some of the buses in movies of 3rd World countries, people carrying chickens, etc. Been on the full route of that bus, it's also know as (pardon my spelling), the "Banderita" bus.

Plaza Internacional was a few blocks past Belle Vista mall on the same side of the road. It sits back from the road a bit with a small outdoor parking area between the street and the mall entrance. There is also an indoor parking garage.

Wish I had seen your post yesterday, would have been nice to meet up with you while you were here. I was near Metro about 11am, Pricesmart around 11:30am, Nacional Supermarket (Near Belle Vista Mall) at 12 noon, in other words all over some of the areas you were in today.

If you come back again, give a couple days notice to give members in Santiago more time to see your post.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
What do you get there? I do go to The Sushi place in Sosua
But get chicken teriyaki and California roll. I love tuna but not sure thats good to get here.
I think I saw a Thai restaurant named Satay in a strip mall at Metropolitan and Februario 27.
Any good?

Sushi Ya, all their sushi is a treat, but you have to try their mixed "seasoned" seafood salad........
I have eaten everything on their menu, (excellent) but my absolute favorite isn't sushi, I love Sashimi.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Sushi Ya, all their sushi is a treat, but you have to try their mixed "seasoned" seafood salad........
I have eaten everything on their menu, (excellent) but my absolute favorite isn't sushi, I love Sashimi.

Is that the Wakame salad?

Jan 9, 2004
I am not interested in girls but might want to take out dinner enroute back to bus.
Passed Taco Express by Bbq Express, Sushi Ya though kinda skeptical of Sushi here and also Chef Pepper.
How are they or do you have any other suggestions like pizza, chicken or veggie sandwich, salad. No ham, no Dominican as have that most days.

Excited about Sushi Ya....and went and was very disappointed......it's now Sushi Na for me.

On the other hand, I had no/low expectations for Chef Pepper the first time I went....and they delivered and continue to deliver the best restaurant burger in Santiago...IMHO.

Whether one likes a restaurant or not......it is just nice to have so many options.

For quick Chinese take out.......Express Jade next to the Matum hotel....is also good.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2