Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: moving to Sousa, I'm a photographer My ultimate dream: Shoot theWomen of the DR

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default moving to Sousa, I'm a photographer My ultimate dream: Shoot theWomen of the DR

I have been reading and watching video about the DR for 10 years now, kids grown divorced retired and ready for a new adventure to close out my life......I don't speak Spanish and know no one in THe DR, but I'm going anyway. First thing I'm do is find someone to teach me Spanish and learn the country & follow all the good advice I've read from Andy, Dave and others ...............I'm scared but excited made my flight into Punta CAna before I REALIZED it was 235 miles from Sousa flight is April 11 my plan is to get a apartment for round 300 keep my mouth shut and learn from the expats, because I'm black I figure that they will not know if i'm a gringo till I open my mouth !! where in Sousa is a good place to have coffee & meet EXpats ??

2. Likes spmc liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny first post, and I mean that in a good way.

Forget Andy and dave. But do talk with other expats, you'll get some good guidance. In Sosua: Checkpoint bar, Rocky's, New Garden restaurant, Britania, Fraggle, jolly roger. There's more, but those are a good start.

And everybody will know you're a gringo even if you don't open your mouth. Good luck.

4. Likes waytogo, DRob, Harleysrock liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

They will absolutely know you are a gringo. We have clients that make the same error by flying into Punta Cana. For you it is just a small step on a new adventure. Welcome and take some great photos. Hopefully you are fully retired and self-sufficient and do not need to work in the DR.

Good advice above on how to network with people.

6. Likes DRob, ctrob, pauleast liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    They will absolutely know you are a gringo. We have clients that make the same error by flying into Punta Cana. For you it is just a small step on a new adventure. Welcome and take some great photos. Hopefully you are fully retired and self-sufficient and do not need to work in the DR.

Good advice above on how to network with people.
    am
    love this ha ha I live that, yep pretty self sufficient, not looking for no job I'm 61 I saved my money and also had parents who left me a inheritance so life is good i'm frugal
    you say they'll know I'm a gringo hmmmmm well you might be right but let test that idea lol, see you guys next week

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

windeguy
    you might be right, I don't see how they would know if I dress like them and don't open my mouth ?? well you are the experienced one so I will honor that, thanks for all the info

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gilbert1234 View Post
    am
    love this ha ha I live that, yep pretty self sufficient, not looking for no job I'm 61 I saved my money and also had parents who left me a inheritance so life is good i'm frugal
    you say they'll know I'm a gringo hmmmmm well you might be right but let test that idea lol, see you guys next week
    Enjoy the good life!
    I would not be advertising my finances on the internet, there are a lot of stray dogs "vira latas" both on the internet and on the ground that will want to be your friend.

10. Likes bachata, dulce, Garyexpat, beeza, spmc and 3 others liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gilbert1234 View Post
    I have been reading and watching video about the DR for 10 years now, kids grown divorced retired and ready for a new adventure to close out my life......I don't speak Spanish and know no one in THe DR, but I'm going anyway. First thing I'm do is find someone to teach me Spanish and learn the country & follow all the good advice I've read from Andy, Dave and others ...............I'm scared but excited made my flight into Punta CAna before I REALIZED it was 235 miles from Sousa flight is April 11 my plan is to get a apartment for round 300 keep my mouth shut and learn from the expats, because I'm black I figure that they will not know if i'm a gringo till I open my mouth !! where in Sousa is a good place to have coffee & meet EXpats ??
    I think you will find DR1 very helpful (at times) regarding the dos and donts.
    I know both Dave and Andy. I would say Andy gives far better advice as Dave is
    currently rotting away in jail in CR for refusing to follow mine (and many others)
    Lots of black folks in Sosua. Good luck with not letting anyone know you are a gringo

Welcome to Wonderland!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea, I want to shoot the women of the DR a lot of the time, too.

Good luck with your fantasy that nobody will know you're a gringo. Gringo is more than skin color; it's a state of mind.

Why you'd want to meet ex-pats (especially American ones) is beyond me. If I wanted to hang out with Americans, I'd still live there. But as has been duly noted on this board, I am not a very nice person, so don't go by me.

But welcome to DR-1 and enjoy Sosua. It's not easy to live in this Dusty Whore Town, but it does have some advantages. As in, yes, you will be able to find a decent place to live for US$300 a month.

13. Likes greydread, KateP liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meemselle View Post
    Yea, I want to shoot the women of the DR a lot of the time, too.

Good luck with your fantasy that nobody will know you're a gringo. Gringo is more than skin color; it's a state of mind.

Why you'd want to meet ex-pats (especially American ones) is beyond me. If I wanted to hang out with Americans, I'd still live there. But as has been duly noted on this board, I am not a very nice person, so don't go by me.

But welcome to DR-1 and enjoy Sosua. It's not easy to live in this Dusty Whore Town, but it does have some advantages. As in, yes, you will be able to find a decent place to live for US$300 a month.
    Great post from an alternate perspective!!

15. Likes Meemselle liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

They will suspect you are a gringo but will not have a clue from where (in most cases). Since you have decided to hang in a tourist spot, locals have had some general experience with foreigners, and they are looking for and expecting you....In the campo you might have a better shot at blending in....

17. Likes Meemselle liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast