Advise greatly Appreciated - Credit Bureau

dimitricharalam

Jan 28, 2002
I am a Dominican living in Tampa, Fl. Recently I had a friend check my credit and I have some accounts which I have never created and where done many years ago, (my calculations show I was 8 years old). I have tried to contact the credit bureau and they say to contact the creditors. I tried to contact the creditors via email and fax over a week ago and have received no response. What is the best approach to resolve this matter, would legal action be necessary or should I resort to something else before. Any help is greatly appreciated. You can also contact me via email : dimitricharalambous@hotmail.com

Thanks
DCH Jr.

lilsam

Santo Domingo Sammy
Jan 2, 2002
File a written not verbal

protest I am not a lawyer but the companys then must respond and if not it should be removed from your credit report.I also live in Tampa area. I had a friend do it but yoiu must WRITE to all three bureas Equifax,Experin,And Trw, If you are having an issue you may actually need a local Lawyer
Ps if all else Fails talk to Eric Sydell at channel 13 (He is their consumer Lawyer)

Last edited:

Trivalent

Jan 31, 2002
DCH:

No Need to get a Lawyer, unless it really gets ugly.
Fair Credit Reporting Act puts the burden of proof on the creditor and forces the credit reporting bureau to conduct the investigation. Call each of the credit bureaus and ask for a dispute form. Fill out the form and send it in. By law they have to notify you when they receive the form and investigate the dispute.

I can't remember if the law gives them 30 or 60 days to investigate but after this time if they cannot find the creditor off it goes. Even if it is legitimate, if it is more that 7 years old it has to be taken off anyway.

Luis

dimitricharalam

Jan 28, 2002
Additional Information

My problem is with the Dominican Credit Bureas, DataCredito and Cicla. I have a problem in the DR.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
There is no statutory mechanism as in the U.S. to deal with this problem. I believe a Consumer Protection bill currently in the Dominican Congress will cover this issue.

Your only recourse at the present time would be to sue the financial institutions and the credit bureaus. This could be costly though.

A final thought: are you sure that the "false" reports are on you? Do they show the same c?dula number as yours. Remember that we have a lot of people with the same name in the D.R. Some time ago I looked up my name in the Cicla database and came up with more than 70 Fabio Guzm?ns!

dimitricharalam

Jan 28, 2002
Additional Info

I have a very uncommon name in the DR, Dimitri Charalambus, when looked up in Data credito, with my cedula number, a list of accounts came up, to be exact, Banco Popular with over 100,000 pesos in debt acumulated, telecable nacional with a couple of accounts, Tricom and Banco del Progresso. I am looking to resolve this an be able to establish a credit which has been marked and distroyed, as a soon-to-be college graduate, going back to the Dominican Republic, in view of making business, this will make it impossible for me to get many things from a phone, to a credit card/line, to car insurance, to who knows what. I am willing to spend a limited amount of money in order to get this settled and even becuase of the horrendous damage created to me be granted a credit which I deserve.
Appreciate help or offer from anyone in the legal field or related field which could help.

DCH Jr.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Strange. I would suggest that you go visit each of these companies and talk to their credit managers. Let hem show you whatever documents supposedly backs up "your" debt. This could be one the first instances of identity theft I've heard of in the D.R.

msmii

Feb 7, 2002
www.cicla.com
Credit Bureau information

Anyone may request a review of their own credit report as issued in the Dominican Republic. Once established that the person requesting report is authorized, it may be issued, upon payment of report fees (as of February 2002, it's RD$250.00 + 12% ITBI). Any discrepancies in report can be reported and have credit bureau assist in the clarification/solution of such. However, this must be done with a request stating reasons for discrepancies so as to be able to trace with credit grantors.

Any requests made to Centro de Informaci?n Crediticia de Las Am?ricas, S.A. (CICLA), will be taken care of immediately and requestor notified within 10 days of inquiry with credit grantor's responses. Any verifiable discrepancies will also be corrected on report as well as have any recent (6 months) credit report requestors notified of such changes. This bureau is in the process of offering aforementioned solutions via the "net", and this will be available within the month of March 2002. (http://www.cicla.com/)
Meanwhile the process can be done via e-mail if so desired.

Marcelino San Miguel

C

Caral

Stolen ID

When people wonder about their credit records they should also investigate whether their ID has ever been stolen.

lilsam

Santo Domingo Sammy
Jan 2, 2002
Any one no if....

I can get a copy of my Dominican Credit report mailed thru mail to the US. I have Dominican Cash Card and checking accounts to write a local check.