punta cana airport at 2:35 how to get to Sousa

gilbert1234

Apr 2, 2016
I'm starting to realize that, I'm getting to Punta Cana at 2:35, which is going to get me in Sousa late at night (I don't know where I'm going should I stay in a hotel in Punta Cana, then start fresh in the morning for Sousa ?

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Food for thought...the amount of money you will lose to change your flight to POP, will be far less than the cost of transport from PUJ to Sosua, spelled SOSUA!
Not to mention POP airport is literally 7 minutes to Sosua.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Careful, TTTTT

I just changed my wife's flight... cost more to change than the original flight.

AA has a $200 change fee + the difference in costs..... over $300 on a 306 flight (one way SDQ - PHL)

However, yessireebob............ the PC flight was a serious error to get to Sosua.

Many don't know how big this island is.............

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Careful, TTTTT

I somehow do not see The OP taking Bavaro Express to SDQ and Caribe tours to Sosua.
A taxi is surely going to cost more than the cost of a Yumbo @ Gaspar carwatch.

Even if the change is equal to the taxi cost, wouldn't you rather eliminate a 7 hour trip through the jungle in a car?
The OP already informed us that he is a man of leisure.

Last edited:

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Given the cost of a hotel room, cabs and buses, and the inconvenience realistically spending 10 hours traveling (if you include waiting for the next available bus), changing your ticket really might be the easiest thing. POP can be a bit pricey, but check Santiago and Santo Domingo airports as well. Take a cab to the Caribe Tours depot in either town, they have buses leaving hourly for the North Coast, including Sosua.

Otherwise, it's Bavaro Express bus to Santo Domingo. Cab to Caribe Tours (or Metro Tours), then board the next bus to Sosua.

As you're arriving at 2:35, I'd strongly consider overnighting in Santo Domingo.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
But with a 2:35 pm arrival, bearing in mind it can take an hour to get through immigration and baggage collection, it will be impossible to make the last bus, which is at 4:00 pm and the station in Ver?n is a 20 minute drive from the airport.
Based on recent experience one often needs to get there about an hour early in order to ensure a ticket.
The most realistic option is to stay at the 4 Points Hotel in Punta Cana Village or one of the inexpensive hotels in Ver?n or B?varo and continue to Santo Domingo and Sosua the next morning with less pressure.

AAIS

Feb 24, 2016
www.abreuimmigration.com
Renting a car at PUJ to drive to Sosua

How about renting a car with GPS and dropping it off in Sosua? All you need to do is arrange it with the car rental company. Just make sure you have enough money to pay for tolls, preferably in small bills. And make sure you have a full tank of gas. (Some gas stations may not take credit cards, but most do.) If you have an opportunity to use your foreign credit cards make sure that you have informed your bank of your travels.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
How about renting a car with GPS and dropping it off in Sosua? All you need to do is arrange it with the car rental company. Just make sure you have enough money to pay for tolls, preferably in small bills. And make sure you have a full tank of gas. (Some gas stations may not take credit cards, but most do.) If you have an opportunity to use your foreign credit cards make sure that you have informed your bank of your travels.

He?d be arriving on the north coast in the dark and says he doesn?t know where he?s going. I wouldn?t recommend renting.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I am sure Derfish would meet his flight @ PUJ and drive him to his hotel in Sosua for $50 bucks and a grande.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'm starting to realize that, I'm getting to Punta Cana at 2:35, which is going to get me in Sousa late at night (I don't know where I'm going should I stay in a hotel in Punta Cana, then start fresh in the morning for Sousa ?

Unless you are in a rush, I would spend the night at an inexpensive hotel near Punta Cana and take the bus the next day. However, when you consider that hotel, transportation and food costs might be around $100, if I could change my flight to POP for only $200, I think I'd spend the extra $100 and fly to POP, save a day, and avoid all the travel time in busses.

gilbert1234

Apr 2, 2016
Man, I struck gold when I found this Message Forum "you guys R the Best"

Agree with the advice many others have given. If you don't plan on spending any time in Punta Cana just change your flight to arrive in Purto Plata. Between the cost, time and aggravation of getting from PC to Sosua you will likely find the difference in your airfare a good investment.

You guys have given me so much good advice I'm sitting here in awe, of all the great advice you guys have offered me, I think Ill not try to be stingy and be smart and spend the extra money and change the flight because it looks like I'm winding up spending it anyway might as well not be aggravated too lol.
I hope that I can be as helpful to the next newcomer as you guys have been to me, hope to meet up with you guys soon!!

And Too "Meemselle" because of all the great advice my new friends have given me, that is why I wanted to hook up with expats (we do have a lot in common) Retired Military & Retired Government worker

gilbert1234

Apr 2, 2016
thanks for correcting me, I'm going to have to take getting the names right a priority not get close :)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

From Punta Cana you are about 5 hours from Sosua. That is if you went directly from point A to B. You are probably better off to hire a taxi and have him take you from the PC Airport to Sosua. Yes it will be expensvie but bite the bullet and do it. Hope this does not sound unkind but watch you back in Sosua. Your planning does seem very good. You are not in "Kansas" any longer and you can easily get ripped off if you are not careful.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
why in the world would someone land in PUJ to travel to Cabarete/ Sosua. what would possibly motivate one to do this ? especially with LUGGAGE.
and then you have to do it all over again when you leave ? I cant even imagine.
I would either change that ticket, and take the hit.. probably no more than $150 to change your flight. or stay in Punta Cana..
There is no monetary savings that would ever prompt me to do such a thing.. just saying.
I see the prev comments are telling u the same..
Just one more thing, those " non refundable tickets" can be Negotiated cancelled or at least /changed. As long as you give the Airline enough time to SELL that ticket,
they are more than happy to do it.. Jet Blue used to do it for $150 ( not sure what it is now) , and that was for outright cancelling the ticket .. the rest of the money they put into their Credit Account which you can use for like a year.
And I believe the Taxes Portion of the ticket has to be 100% refunded (by law)..
People assume that non refundable means you lose all the money, not the case. there is a Fee to change thats all.
Just dont Never walk away from a ticket (no show) , thats the worst thing you can do.
Good luck ,let us know how you make out.

Last edited:

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Slow down guys! The OP has already said that on the basis of what he has learned here he is changing his flight. I give him great credit for that, as should you!

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Slow down guys! The OP has already said that on the basis of what he has learned here he is changing his flight. I give him great credit for that, as should you!

by the same token , give credit to the posters who gave him SOLID advice, seems everyone was on the exact same page there.

and if you have a problem with a specific post, Report it...
what exactly does " slow down " mean ?
I did not know we were exceeding a speed limit here.
no one is bashing anyone

gilbert1234

Apr 2, 2016
Will I have to get another phone service and phone when I get there, or will I be able to keep my same number ?

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Will I have to get another phone service and phone when I get there, or will I be able to keep my same number ?

Bring an unlocked QUAD BAND phone, and you'll buy a sim card with a Dominican number.
Use GOOGLE Hangouts for a USA number.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Bring an unlocked QUAD BAND phone, and you'll buy a sim card with a Dominican number.
Use GOOGLE Hangouts for a USA number.

You need a Google Voice telephone number to use Hangouts. Be sure to sign up for a number while in the US as you cannot do so from the DR.