Flying out after overstaying tourist visa... quick questions

Apr 20, 2013
Flying out of Santo Domingo this week after living in DR for 8 months+1 day in total. As I understand it I will owe $4,000 pesos for overstaying the tourist visa.

Question is 1) how much extra time should I allot at the airport to pay this fee? And 2) when/who exactly will direct me to pay the fee? What is the process?

Thanks

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
After you check in, you go to the departure door....put your things in a basket and walk through the x-ray machine. Right after that you show your passport and departure paper to customs and they will charge you the fee. Cash only. It only takes a few minutes.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
As you pass thru migration they will divert you if they sense you need to pay it. I have passed thru at times without their noticing that I had been here for damn ever.
Der Fish

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
For SDQ of recent at midday there have been 15 minute plus queues for Immigration desks. When they swipe and find your passport is locked you get directed to the right hand side of the Immigration Hall where you pay and get it unlocked......then rejoin the queue.

Pay first. So after collecting carry-ons and shoes, head to right hand side and ask for payment booth and get receipt, then go back and join the immigration queue.

If it is low peak you should clear all in maximum 15 minutes, but my last two times in March it took a good half an hour or more for mid morning and midday flights to clear security and immigration without paying the fee as I'm resident.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have a question do they keep track of who overstayed the touristt visa?

Yes they do. As soon as 30 days have passed, they lock your passport in their computers. It gets unlocked when you pay the overstay fee.

Wrx2005

Jul 7, 2014
On May 6, 2017 going through Puerto Plata. I knew I had to pay for my 3 1/2 month overstay. Immediately after going through security screening, I proceed to the immigration booths. But since I know I have to pay, I go to the booth on the far right where you pay fees. There is no line there.

I'm asked how long I overstayed, and at the same time he is fishing for the chart showing the fees. I pay my 4000 pesos and get receipt. Then one of the immigration persons guides me to the front of the line of an immigration booth ( all lines had at least 7 people waiting ) to scan and stamp my passport.
The whole process took 7 minutes?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
On May 6, 2017 going through Puerto Plata. I knew I had to pay for my 3 1/2 month overstay. Immediately after going through security screening, I proceed to the immigration booths. But since I know I have to pay, I go to the booth on the far right where you pay fees. There is no line there.

I'm asked how long I overstayed, and at the same time he is fishing for the chart showing the fees. I pay my 4000 pesos and get receipt. Then one of the immigration persons guides me to the front of the line of an immigration booth ( all lines had at least 7 people waiting ) to scan and stamp my passport.
The whole process took 7 minutes?

We just did essentially the same thing just two weeks ago at Santo Domingo airport for my four year old step grandson, born in the US of Dominican parents, who stayed with us almost exactly the same length of time so that $4,000 RD was the fee. His mom is working in the US and this will be his last "free time" as he starts school in the US this fall.

The process was quick. Santo Domingo airport was DEAD and I mean DEAD. It was also dead when my wife and I arrived back in the DR two nights ago. Our taxi was stopped in Santo Domingo and we were asked for our papers. I posted that story on another thread. The PN are checking on who is here legally.

Another point. As grandparents we had no issues taking our US citizen grandson of Dominican parents out of the DR with nothing but his US passport to return him to his mother in the US. We did not need any additional documents from anyone to do this.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As I recall , I too breezed through SDQ at the last Saturday in April....
Easy

Only mistake I made was paying $14 for early boarding......

Before I coattailed on AE 's early boarding .... wasted $14

Feb 7, 2007
Another point. As grandparents we had no issues taking our US citizen grandson of Dominican parents out of the DR with nothing but his US passport to return him to his mother in the US. We did not need any additional documents from anyone to do this.

Because his passport does not say place of birth Dominican Republic. That's the reason why you had to pay the Overstay fee for him.

Retire

Jan 18, 2017
I have flown out 3x in the last year after overstaying the 30 day visa . Once by 5 months . I flew out of Gregario Luperon ( Puerto Plata ) Not once was I even asked to pay .

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Probably because the kid had a USA passport and was returning home.

For certain . And we called POP and SDQ airports in the DR before we left to make sure there would not be an issue. But you know, this is the DR , and what is said and what happens are often the opposite.

Because his passport does not say place of birth Dominican Republic. That's the reason why you had to pay the Overstay fee for him.

Of course. And also why they did not care who he was flying with out of the DR.

Retire

Jan 18, 2017
No , I'm not a kid , well maybe , I'm 55 . I had my money ready , but no one asked , I didn't offer . Just relaying MY experience .