White knuckle trips?

Joe Tourist

Feb 5, 2002
Visiting end August. PP area. Both my wife and I are fitness fanatics and looking for some REAL white knuckle, "rush" type activities. Any suggestions that would suit folks like us, rather than the typical 300lb, sunburnt tourist?
Love the site. Good job guys.
Joe.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Canyoning

There is a canyoning trip that takes you on some agressive hikes and some pretty hard core rappels down some waterfalls. You can book it out of Cabarete once you get here, head to the CaraBIC center (red building, windsurfing and kitesurfing place) for more info. I think the tour is offered through the No Work Team in Cabarete.

There is whitewater rafting in Jarabacoa through a place called Rancho Baiguate, and it is apparently pretty good.

I am a climber/kayaker from the Canadian Rockies, and have not ventured out to do anything like that here...so I am sorry but I can't offer you any comparisons!!

You may also want to try renting a car and driving in Santo Domingo...it is about as white knuckle as you can get!~

marc

DHiltz

Jan 10, 2002
Tours

We did the canyoning tour of the Damajuana (sp?) Waterfalls while at the Riu Mambo last year It was about 1/2 hour to the west of PP...a hike through the forest up the riverbed to the base of the falls. You then climb up the first 8 or so waterfalls with the help of a guide, then slide down the waterfalls one by one.

Hope you have fun...play safe, though!

Dave

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Canyoning

Hi Dave, glad you had fun, you were likely in Imbert. This is not a canyoning trip though, like the one I am talking about.

The one I mentioned requires climbing harnesses and some good climbing guides to complete...

We did the same tour you did and had a blast, aren't the waterfalls great? It is probably one of the best values for our tour dollar since we came here.

marc

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
FYI: There are people doing hang gliding if you want...

Just a thought.

HB

Datdanigirl

Jan 23, 2002
Waterfall Climbing

Dave or Marc,

I am staying at Bavaro Beach for a week, and though I mostly just want the R&R of the beach and a little snorkeling, I have been entertaining the notion of one good excursion.

I haven't found the 'standard fare' offered by the resorts to be very appealing, and have been seeking out something more along the lines of this waterfall hike you mention. I didn't see anything like that listed through the tour operators from Punta Cana..

..tell me more please! How far a drive is it to the launching point for the tour from PC? How long is the trip itself? Who could I contact for rates and arrangements??

thanks in advance,
Dani

DHiltz

Jan 10, 2002
Hi Marc/Dani

The canyoning tour you describe definitely sounds a lot more physically demanding than the waterfall tour...It sounds like a lot of fun! My wife would have killed me if I had taken her on a climbing expedition like that one! It took a lot of sucking up for redemption after taking her on an excursion she really didn't want to do. The rest of us had a great time, though!

That tour was an exceptional value. The Air Transat rep did not offer it through the hotel because of the risk/insurance isuues, although I think some of the European carriers did offer it through their reps. We had met a taxi coordinator at the entrance to the Mambo and did a Sosua tour with him for less than 1/4 the price of the "official excursion". Along the way we were talking about the waterfalls and he offered to take us for $40USD, which we felt was a good deal. I later talked to someone else at the resort who had bartered him down to $25US pp, wow!

Dani, when we stayed in Punta Cana (Sunscape BG) two years ago I don't remember seeing anything like a waterfall excursion offered by anyone. The land seemed pretty flat in that area so I'm not sure how far you would have to go to find some mountains for a waterfall. We did not do any adventure tours at all while in PC as there was nothing out of the ordinary available and they were all horrendously expensive. Fortunately, the incredible beach in PC made us not waht to leave anyway.

I'll keep my eyes open, if I see a tour of interest I will post the details for you.

Regards,

Dave

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Waterfalls

I don't know much (don't know anything, really :)) about tours in PC. Just the north coast, sorry Dani!!

Dave, you are wise to hunt around and talk to cabbies about prices. Sosua/Cabarete offers far cheaper excursions that the resorts seem to, and you get to comparison shop. Also, for a lot of the tours, like you said, you can hire a private taxi for far less and get twice the value from your trip.

For many, though, the "security" of booking everything at the hotel and not leaving anything to chance is worth the price...

Take care
marc

Susan

Jan 23, 2002
Call RUM RUNNERS!!!!

they are in Puerta Plata, been in business for years, and ask for RAPHAEL!!

we had a blast!!!!! almost lost a few older guys on the trip, get ready for a rush!!!

He speaks 4 languages (self taught), is a font of local information, and a great guy!!!

Think of me when you're sliding down a natural stone waterslide!!!

have fun! susan

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
If you are staying in the Bavaro area, no point going all the way north. Leave Rancho Baiguate river rafting or the Damajagua Falls for a return visit when you stay up north.

Instead, visit take the tour to Los Haitises, and the tour to Playa Esmeralda in Miches (a wow beach). You can rent a car and head for the Anturiana plantation (Tropical Plantation) in Hato Mayor, or even the Cueva Fun Fun with Rancho Capote. These are all day excursions so be sure to leave early in the morning to be back by night.

For information on these excursions, see http://dr1.com/travel/puntacana/

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
FYI: A new parachute club opened its offices in Santiago.
One of the owners says he is "crazy and a half"

Is that "white knuckle" enough for you??

HB

O yeah, they have a desk at the local airport...

Susan Greco

Feb 19, 2002
White knuckle trips

If you are in the north, try Rancho Baiguate in Jarabacoa. I believe they offer transportation from north resorts but not sure (we stayed in Jarabacoa). They offer canyoning trips which involve rappelling, jumping and various other forms of moving yourself down a river bed. It is exhilarating to say the least - definitely not for those scared of heights or faint of heart (one such move involves about a 40 foot cliff and no equipment - get my drift). The excursion is about $50 US, includes a couple of beers and a late lunch afterwards and includes all the necessary safety equipment including helmets, wetsuits and harnesses. The guides are professional and very conscientious of your safety but once you are out there, there is no way out except down! They also have more tame but fun excursions including rafting and horseback riding. http://www.ranchobaiguate.com.do/
Enjoy!

shreksfiona

Jul 25, 2004
Going crazy trying to find waterfalls!

Our trip is in March 2005 and we want to go on a waterfall excursion hopefully close to our resort..LTI beach resort anyone got any insight? Dont know where to begin to start looking...PLEASE someone help me!!!

:nervous:
Hoping someone knows.....feel free to emailing me...
Thanks in advance...

Shreksfiona :laugh: