DCF for US Immigration Visa

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I am a US citizen and I have lived here in the DR for a long time and am a legal resident here. I have a Dominican wife and we have been married for almost two years. I am planning on filing for a US immigration visa for her. I have read that a DCF is the fastest way to go. However, a DCF requires filing an I-130 and, from what I can see, an I-130 requires me to be a US resident - which I am not. This seems like a "Catch-22" since other types of immigration visas also require an I-130(?).

I only return to the US occasionally for short visits. I don't own any property there. Are DCF's still possible here in the DR?

Any suggestions as to how to best go about this would be greatly appreciated. Also, is it best to use a lawyer here in the DR, in the US, or is it easy enough to do it myself?

Thanks.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
I am a US citizen and I have lived here in the DR for a long time and am a legal resident here. I have a Dominican wife and we have been married for almost two years. I am planning on filing for a US immigration visa for her. I have read that a DCF is the fastest way to go. However, a DCF requires filing an I-130 and, from what I can see, an I-130 requires me to be a US resident - which I am not. This seems like a "Catch-22" since other types of immigration visas also require an I-130(?).

I only return to the US occasionally for short visits. I don't own any property there. Are DCF's still possible here in the DR?

Any suggestions as to how to best go about this would be greatly appreciated. Also, is it best to use a lawyer here in the DR, in the US, or is it easy enough to do it myself?

Thanks.

If you are US citizen yes you can do it. I did so last year. You need to prove you live here. Utility bills, rental contracts etc.
The difficult part is you have to intend to live in the US. They ask for a residence there. If you are in SD make an appointment with Citizens services. Explain your situation.

It is much faster than filing in the states. If you apply for her CR1 and later you can't make the move to the states, usually they will swap it for 10 year tourist visa.

Good luck.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

Thanks.

I would highly suggest you go to the link that Anna posted and ask this question to D-Mo who is a moderator on the site. He is an expert on the DR to USA visa requirements including direct consulate filing.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If you are US citizen yes you can do it. I did so last year. You need to prove you live here. Utility bills, rental contracts etc.
The difficult part is you have to intend to live in the US. They ask for a residence there. If you are in SD make an appointment with Citizens services. Explain your situation.

It is much faster than filing in the states. If you apply for her CR1 and later you can't make the move to the states, usually they will swap it for 10 year tourist visa.

Good luck.

Thanks for the tip on the Citizens Services Unit. I wasn't aware it even existed. Need to look into the CR1 and some other are recommending a K3.

Not having a residence in the US is the tricky part. Might have to get a lawyer(?).

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I would highly suggest you go to the link that Anna posted and ask this question to D-Mo who is a moderator on the site. He is an expert on the DR to USA visa requirements including direct consulate filing.

Thanks for directing me to D-Mo. Maybe he'll know(?). I seem to be in somewhat of a unique position.