news story of the week

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...s-gigantes-en-aeropuerto-punta-cana-KA3277905

The authorities seized 12 giant cockroaches at the Punta Cana airport, introduced to the country by a Russian, in violation of the Plant Health Act 4990 Article 1,44.

The insects, six male and six females, belong to the species Madagascar (Gromphadorhina portentous) and were taken last April 5th from Igor Rusurusov, who was traveling to Bavaro, Altagracia province.

In the morning the Ministry of Agriculture through the Plant Health Directorate, handed the insects to the Ministry of Environment.

At the time the animals were confiscated Rusurusov said that the intention of bringing these giant cockroaches to the country was for a competition, without specifying the details.

The authorities explained that the entry of such specimens to the country is not allowed because they can be vectors of diseases and also that the law forbids it in the interest of protecting national flora and fauna.

The species will be taken to the Museum of Natural History as an educational material.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
You can't make this stuff up.
Who ever thought they could get away with bringing cockroaches into any country!
SMH

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
weren't dominican roaches good enough? or russian, for that matter? how did he get them on the plane? what kind of a competition were they destined for?

so many questions...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
one thing for sure: if i was searching someone's luggage and from between speedos i'd pull out a transparent plastic box full of live roaches the size of goddamn zippo lighter i would fling that sh*t away from me screaming like a girl.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
I had to google it cause I don't have a life.

A Madagascan roach hisses and reaches 3". If I saw a herd of those bad boys I'd break out a flame thrower.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I had to google it cause I don't have a life.

A Madagascan roach hisses and reaches 3". If I saw a herd of those bad boys I'd break out a flame thrower.

I remember "Fear Factor" where the contestants were either bath in them or they had to eat them. yuck............

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
I've never seen fear factor but if the grand prize wasn't a million bucks not Dominican or Canadian pesos but green backs forget about it.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
one thing for sure: if i was searching someone's luggage and from between speedos i'd pull out a transparent plastic box full of live roaches the size of goddamn zippo lighter i would fling that sh*t away from me screaming like a girl.

Errrrrrmmmmm: how big are they?

We actually knew a researcher at the University when we lived in Iowa City whose job it was to study cockroaches, because they're the only thing that in theory would survive nuclear holocaust.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Imagine them breeding and multiplying? Maybe they eat ants? Instead of the ants overtaking the island the cockroaches will.
Ewwww

Jan 7, 2016
This island is a roach heaven! With all the garbage and trash piled-up everywhere, they have a place to live, breed, breed, breed and live some more...pretty soon they're indoors unless you have decent door sweeps and window screens...

OkieJoe

Feb 15, 2013
"The authorities seized 12 giant cockroaches at the Punta Cana airport"..... Does it mean I'm jaded, that I wasn't thinking "literal" cockroaches when I started reading this?

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
I don't see them in my place very often. Maybe once a month. I do have screens and door sweeps.

Could be a thought to get the guy in that does the fogging. No more roaches and mosquitoes, cheepy, cheepy.

If in sosua.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Google?d it and it looks pretty harmless. I worry more about the giant centipedes I see
around my building from time to time.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
So tempted to tell a cockroach story from my graduate studies....

But that would be off-topic.