vegetarian food

claudiap

Feb 5, 2002
my husband and i are visiting dr this month. we are staying in juan dolio. i have lots of questions, but the most important is where to eat and buy groceries. we are vegetarians (no meat, fish, poultry or eggs, but do eat dairy). we will have cooking facilities.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Good Luck finding food to cook in Jaun Dolio, never mind fruit and vegetables! You can find eggs and cheese in just about every little store.Seriously there is no place to shop for regular groceries in Jaun Dolio. There is a grocery store located at the El Batey on the highway but...... things are not always the freshest. There is a little store in Plaza Azul on Calle Blv.where you can find some staples and sometimes fruit and vegetables. I suggest you do as the locals do and take a taxi or the bus to San Pedro and go to the Iberia supermarket for your shopping. Also ask the locals where they buy the things you want. Sometimes a fruit and vegetable truck will pass by the neighborhood. Ask for what days they go around. If you get tired of scrounging for food to make for yourself fo to Gulia's or Plaza Real Resturant for good food. Both places have fresh vegetables most of the time. Have Fun!!!

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Possible...

Hi guys, I am a vegetarian too, except that I do eat fish, sea-food, and eggs. In this country, most of the people will think you are crazy, however you can go to regular restaurants, and only order the rice and beans, with some fried plantains and the salad... For the dessert, have fresh fruits... You'll find very good juices as well. I f you stop at cheap cafeteria, ask for some Yucca con queso frito, which is manioc with fried cheese, quite good...
Basically there won't be any place where it is organised for veggies, but be creative and select from the menu, or become friend with the cook...

Meredith

LiVe ThE LiFe YoU iMaGiNeD
Jan 24, 2002
I'm a vegetarian too and I had no problem finding food to eat, even though people do think you're crazy that you don't eat meat. I usually ate like squat said rice and beans, tostones, cabbage, yuca and buns and cheese. You'll survive on it, and it's pretty good too!