Any rumors of airlines flying from the US to AZS?

The Creature

Mar 13, 2013
Since Jetblue is no longer going to fly to AZS, it has become very expensive and slow to fly from NYC to AZS.

Has anyone heard any rumors about another airline coming in to fill the gap?

Las Terrenas had become my default vacation. Just when I get comfortable, Jetblue pulls out. Sigh. :rolleyes:

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
It's not quick nor inexpensive but if you are adamant about flying into AZS as I am you may need to look at flying into Toronto, Montreal or Halifax and then grabbing a Air Canada or West Jet flight to AZS. I was talking to a guy from NY that flew Jet Blue and I can tell you the Canadian options are pricey comparitively.
The strong US dollar will play in your favour though booking a CDN flight.

Good luck!!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Since Jetblue is no longer going to fly to AZS, it has become very expensive and slow to fly from NYC to AZS.

Has anyone heard any rumors about another airline coming in to fill the gap?

Las Terrenas had become my default vacation. Just when I get comfortable, Jetblue pulls out. Sigh. :rolleyes:

When I took the JetBlue flight in early March I asked the flight attendent if there was a chance that they would offer this route again. He said it may be offered again seasonally. Which could be next year during high season. This doesn't solve your problem now. The cheapest alternative is to fly into Santo Domingo and rent a car and drive to LT. Delta is offering a round trip for under $400us.

I was wondering why JB wasn't showing flights anymore between JFK & AZS. I hope they return it during high season. I've taken this flight about 4 times in the last 3 yrs and its perfect + very inexpensive. And the flights seemed mostly full, so I can't see it as not cost effective for them. So I guess its SDQ & driving....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
everyone here cites the low prices - JFK/AZS

that's exactly the problem..... low prices are need to fill the plane.
JB can do better elsewhere.

I booked Xmas over T'Giving... about $1700 R/T.... Dec23 to Jan 2 0r 3 ----Prime time
2 weeks before Xmas that flight was 1/2 that price , trying to fill the plane.

I got a refund of $850.... credit to future flights

Apologies to those who heard this before

Just shows to go you how fickle airline prices can be

everyone here cites the low prices - JFK/AZS

that's exactly the problem..... low prices are need to fill the plane.
JB can do better elsewhere.

I booked Xmas over T'Giving... about $1700 R/T.... Dec23 to Jan 2 0r 3 ----Prime time
2 weeks before Xmas that flight was 1/2 that price , trying to fill the plane.

I got a refund of $850.... credit to future flights

Apologies to those who heard this before

Just shows to go you how fickle airline prices can be

Yes I remember that time period being very $. I changed my time to late Jan. '16 & it was about $350. R/T, but sadly Mother Nature dumped snow that day & flight was cancelled! But received refund.

I need LT every year, so see you folks next month via SDQ....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My daughter works in NYC... so that's my problem... always a $$$ ticket.
The UK daughter pays less.... True !!

I posted the original flight cancellation notice from an internal memo a pilot gave me.
His brother has a house in Cabrera... we know it's him at the wheel when we fly over Cabrera (Casa Kimball & Orchid bay are below)
Then we fly the coastline to el catey..... great scenery

It's the $$ per seat that is their beef..... too low

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My daughter works in NYC... so that's my problem... always a $$$ ticket.
The UK daughter pays less.... True !!

I posted the original flight cancellation notice from an internal memo a pilot gave me.
His brother has a house in Cabrera... we know it's him at the wheel when we fly over Cabrera (Casa Kimball & Orchid bay are below)
Then we fly the coastline to el catey..... great scenery

It's the $$ per seat that is their beef..... too low

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
It will not help the OP a lot but it appears Air Canada has added a weekly flight (Thursday) out of Ottawa (YOW) to AZS for the winter of 2017.
This is fantastic news for me as I will no longer have to connect through Montreal or Toronto.
Also it is a 6 AM departure so I will be on the beach by noon :classic:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I heard lastnight that JetBlue has decided to reopen this same route flying from the US to AZS three
times a week starting next month.. but it might just be a rumor.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
french company that is now in charge of this airport promised to develop so maybe there will be new connections in the near future?

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Probably a rumor. Doesn't seem likely that they would fly three times a week, when they were flying two times a week, and losing money.
I heard lastnight that JetBlue has decided to reopen this same route flying from the US to AZS three
times a week starting next month.. but it might just be a rumor.

It will not help the OP a lot but it appears Air Canada has added a weekly flight (Thursday) out of Ottawa (YOW) to AZS for the winter of 2017.
This is fantastic news for me as I will no longer have to connect through Montreal or Toronto.
Also it is a 6 AM departure so I will be on the beach by noon :classic:

Hmm I thought AZS was only open on Wednesday's & Saturday's. Or was this just for Jet Blue flights?

FYI - I just sent JB an email, requesting info about future flights from JFK to AZS. If others here use this route, I suggest use this link and request they reopen the flights.
http://www.jetblue.com/contact-us/email/ask/

If enough people ask maybe they'll reopen, at least for Winter travels

Update > This was the response to my ? about future service from JFK to AZS

Thank you for contacting JetBlue Getaways regarding our flights to Saman? El Catey International Airport. The last day of service to AZS is April 30, 2016. Service to AZS will be ending. Since the service has been discontinued, as of right now there are no known plans to reopen the route. If anything changes it will be announced on our website in the future.

Update > This was the response to my ? about future service from JFK to AZS

Thank you for contacting JetBlue Getaways regarding our flights to Saman? El Catey International Airport. The last day of service to AZS is April 30, 2016. Service to AZS will be ending. Since the service has been discontinued, as of right now there are no known plans to reopen the route. If anything changes it will be announced on our website in the future.

Email Jet Blue & hound them to reopen it!

http://www.jetblue.com/contact-us/email/ask/

cbrick72

Nov 8, 2017
It's Worth The Drive

While it makes it a little harder for us that love to visit Las Terrenas, Samana and Las Galeras, Santo Domingo Airport (Las Americas) seems to be the best and really only choice for Americans wanting to visit this part of the Dominican Republic. The good news is that the cost to fly into Santo Domingo Airport is about 1/2 of what it used to cost to fly into El Catey in Samana. And really unless you lived up by New York or Boston, it didn't really make sense for most Americans to fly north and then down to the Caribbean. I come twice a year and spend about 2 weeks in Las Terrenas every year. I enjoy the drive from Santo Domingo. It goes through a beautiful part of the county and the road is an excellent shape. If you need help getting from Santo Domingo to Las Terrenas I always use Santo Domingo Taxi. They are great. Also, there are many great little houses on the beach to stay at, don't feel like you have to be trapped into staying at one of the large all-inclusives.