Traveling from Santo Domingo to NYC

rulesofbio

Apr 11, 2016
Hi, I just found this space which is great because Im about to make my first travel to the USA. Im going to NYC and I would like to know if there are travel tips or hacks I should know before.

Have somebody been there recently? All comments and recommendations are more than welcome! :)

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
Have someone pick you up at the airport, get someone with a car to show you around the city and learn to use the subway system.
Enjoy
Oh yeah, bring a light jacket the weather is still cool.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Hi, I just found this space which is great because Im about to make my first travel to the USA. Im going to NYC and I would like to know if there are travel tips or hacks I should know before.

Have somebody been there recently? All comments and recommendations are more than welcome! :)

Bring walking shoes.
Bring comfortable clothes.
Don't look like a tourist.
Walk at the speed of everybody else.
Keep a comfortable edge when you negotiate.
If you can't understand the subway, take the bus.
Take the on/off bus one day to get to know the city areas.

rulesofbio

Apr 11, 2016
Bring walking shoes.
Bring comfortable clothes.
Don't look like a tourist.
Walk at the speed of everybody else.
Keep a comfortable edge when you negotiate.
If you can't understand the subway, take the bus.
Take the on/off bus one day to get to know the city areas.

Thanks dude!

rulesofbio

Apr 11, 2016
Thanks curlando! I'm leaving tomorrow morning but I've already booked a nyc airport shuttle and my luggage is also ready (yes, I packed a big jacket because the weather forecast is 58~42 haha..) and I did a research about the subway system. This is my first trip to usa and Im excited about it. Thanks bro! :)

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Im going to NYC and I would like to know if there are travel tips or hacks I should know before.

At last, you have finally made it to the promised land!
Here?s a hack for ya. The rest of America is nothing like New York, thank god.

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
Go to the nearest subway station and grab a subway map, it will help you with the Subway system and it is also a great NYC Map. If your cellphone works, Google Maps shows you even which train and bus you need to go to places.
There are SIM available for 15 USD which includes Data + Voice. I always buy one, best investment ever.
Also try to purchase a Week long Metro Card, it will help you with transportation ALOT!

If you are short on budget, check this site:
http://www.broketourist.net/7-days-in-new-york-city-for-100/

It shows you were to eat, also which museums are cheaper or free on specific days.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The information center near/in Times Square is a great place to visit.

Glad you brought this up. In Times Square if go in the AM about 11 you can buy half price tickets to Broadway Shows for the
same day. I am pretty sure they still have this, have not been back in quite awhile.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I wouldn't even know where to begin. There is also a phone app that tells you how many minutes to the next bus.

Central Park. Rockefeller Center. Walk along Fifth and Park Avenues. The observation deck at the Empire State Building. Riverside Park. Central Park. The Brooklyn Museum. The Asia Society. Bloomingdale's. Christopher Street. Grand Central Terminal (there's a guided tour every Wed.) John's Pizza in the Village. Peking Duck House in Chinatown. Arthur Avenue in the Bronx for the best Italian food in NY. I am making myself homesick!

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
what about visiting the nyc dominican experience.....where you can be at home far away....uptown....broadway....

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
Basebol season just started, 7 train to flushing for the mets, D train to the bronx for the yankees.
Gray papaya for hotdogs, any rays for a slice of pizza.

Where are you going to be based?

Dont buy jewlery, or gold off the street, if its a too good of a deal, just walk away.
Century 21, daffys, marshalls,tj max for deals on clothing.
Yellow taxi in manhattan (city), greean taxi or black car in the outer boroughs.
Avoid the crazy people , and watch out for slashings.
Avoid parts of the bronx and brooklyn.

Last edited:

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Basebol season just started, 7 train to flushing for the mets, D train to the bronx for the yankees.
Gray papaya for hotdogs, any rays for a slice of pizza.

Where are you going to be based?

Dont buy jewlery, or gold off the street, if its a too good of a deal, just walk away.
Century 21, daffys, marshalls,tj max for deals on clothing.
Yellow taxi in manhattan (city), greean taxi or black car in the outer boroughs.
Avoid the crazy people , and watch out for slashings.
Avoid parts of the bronx and brooklyn.

No pizza from Ray's! Hold out for John's in the Village. Or V & T up by Columbia University, across from St. John the Divine. But Gray's Papaya at B'way and 72nd, a definite MUST DO.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Glad you brought this up. In Times Square if go in the AM about 11 you can buy half price tickets to Broadway Shows for the
same day. I am pretty sure they still have this, have not been back in quite awhile.

Yes. They still do. But you're not going to get tix for anything like "Hamilton." Maybe "Jersey Boys" or "Chicago." Which wouldn't be bad.

Right in the middle of Times Square, just behind the statue of George M. Cohan. Can't miss it.