Dominican Republic attacks could happen anywhere

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Dominican Republic attacks could happen anywhere, says Manitoban shot 10 times

les-lehmann.gif

'You can always have a home invasion or a break-in any place in the world,' Les Lehmann says of a 2014 break-in at his apartment complex in the Dominican Republic. (Meaghan Fiddler/CBC)

A Manitoba man who was shot two years ago during a break-in at his apartment complex in the Dominican Republic says such incidents can happen anywhere.

Les Lehmann, 66, spoke about the attack on him after a 75-year-old man from Lac du Bonnet, Man., was robbed and found dead in the Caribbean country last week.

"It was something that happened that's not going to happen again. That was always my attitude. It doesn't matter where you go," said Lehmann, 66, a Canadian with permanent residency in the Dominican Republic who carries permanent injuries from the 2014 attack.

"I don't live in fear. If it had happened in Winnipeg, what would I do? Leave Winnipeg? Move where? You can always have a home invasion or a break-in any place in the world."

Lehmann manages an apartment complex in Puerto Plata. In 2014, he tried to fight off thieves who broke in a day after a group of Manitoba students had arrived for a humanitarian project.

The students and their chaperones, who were unhurt, returned to Manitoba the next day.

Several Canadians have been attacked in the Dominican Republic in recent years.

Leo Frank Boulanger was found dead on April 5 in an apartment he had rented for three months with his Dominican girlfriend in the beach town of Sos?a, about 25 kilometres east of Puerto Plata along the Dominican Republic's northern coast.

Police said two local men who were arrested on April 6 had Boulanger's cellphone and other belongings and confessed to killing him in the course of robbing him and trying to get his bank code.

"It's usually older men who are sort of at risk," said Lehmann.

"They're living the fun life here and they don't realize that all these Dominicans who are very nice to them and treat them so great, they still look at you as a very wealthy person," he said. "At times they make plans to extract [money] from you and sometimes those plans go wrong and somebody gets hurt."

Lehmann said after the attack at his apartment complex, he had 10 bullet holes in his body. His arm was broken, a nerve in his arm was cut and his knee was shattered.

He still has a limp, his knee doesn't bend all the way and his left pinky finger doesn't move well.

"Even 30 seconds after it happened, as I was laying there, I thought, 'You are one lucky person, because you're going to walk away from this,'" he said.

Since the incident, he has turned a chain-link fence on one side of his property to a 10-foot concrete wall.

"Over the seven or eight years that I had that chain-link fence, it had been breached four or five different times, where I'd get up in the morning and something was missing," he said.

But the incident and others in the area aren't enough to stop Lehmann from going to the Dominican Republic.

"Like I say to people, I never was a great guitar player and now I even care less that I'm not a great guitar player, because I can still play the guitar," he said with a laugh.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/lehmann-dominican-republic-robbery-1.3531014

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A Dominican Republic attack can only happen in the Dominican Republic. I know, just being a wise a$$ about the proper use of English.

Everybody knows what it "really" meant.

But, "It happens everywhere" is one of those expressions that is used so often it either becomes meaningless or it is used to obfuscate reality.

That said, Les is a nice fellow.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
?Dominican Republic attacks could happen anywhere, says Manitoban shot 10 times?

So true. Same crap happens back home at least once a month but the outcome
is usually not a good one.

thomasj

Mar 31, 2010
I lived in Canada for most of my life. During that time I never knew anyone personally who died a violent death.
That includes car accidents.
I am coming to the Dominican Republic regularly since 1985. During this time I have known 6 foreigners in the DR. for whom I would cross the
cross the street, shake hands and say hello, who died violent deaths. not one in a car accident.
"It can happen anywhere" is marginally true, if one does not forget that in some places it happens much more often

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The point of posting this article is to diffuse responsibility for these types of crimes. It is intellectually specious, and does nothing to address the underlying issues confronting Dominican society.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The point of posting this article is to diffuse responsibility for these types of crimes. It is intellectually specious, and does nothing to address the underlying issues confronting Dominican society.

intellectually specious...hmmm.

consider the source.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Life definitely doesn't seem as precious here in the DR, as where I'm from, but there are certainly many cities in the first world where life seems less valued than even here.
I remember the second time I was in the DR, one of my wife's friends from University invited us to eat supper with her at her place in Santo Domingo East. To get to her complex we had to go through a Barrio Caliente. I was instructed to cover my head and get down in the back seat as if the guys on the street saw me they would probably force the car to stop and rob us or worse. That was in 1997, I don't things have improved with the extra drugs around now.
I think the point of the post is the eternal optimism of this guy.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
I lived in Canada for most of my life. During that time I never knew anyone personally who died a violent death.
I am coming to the Dominican Republic regularly since 1985. During this time I have known 6 foreigners in the DR. for whom I would cross the
cross the street, shake hands and say hello, who died violent deaths. not one in a car accident.
"It can happen anywhere" is marginally true, if one does not forget that in some places it happens much more often

i think thats a truth...maybe as we age things happen...but i havent witnessed very many ....but in d.r. besides the tourists shot and killed,
ive had a few peeps i know die/killed...

May 29, 2006
My home town went over 100 years without a murder and it's ten times the size of Sosua. What is the per capita murder rate in the DR for expats? My guess is something more than in a1000 per year, prob more for those not living in condos and over 60.

Mar 1, 2009

I lived in Canada too and my friend Imad was beaten to a pulp outside of a nightclub while trying to help a kid who was being harrassed by a gang in Montreal. He died a week after of his injuries.
That can happen anywhere in the world.
LC

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I've lived in 6 countries and by far the DR it's the most dangerous country I've lived in. What I've seen and experienced in all the other countries can not even come close to what I've seen and experienced in the DR.

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
I've lived in 6 countries and by far the DR it's the most dangerous country I've lived in. What I've seen and experienced in all the other countries can not even come close to what I've seen and experienced in the DR.

Is it also the most overall illiterate? Or should I say is it also the dumbest, because if it is than there's the connection.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I lived in Canada too and my friend Imad was beaten to a pulp outside of a nightclub while trying to help a kid who was being harrassed by a gang in Montreal. He died a week after of his injuries.
That can happen anywhere in the world.
LC

Big difference with an altercation with a gang outside a night club and having someone enter your home with the intent to rob and harm/kill you if necessary.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Life definitely doesn't seem as precious here in the DR, as where I'm from, but there are certainly many cities in the first world where life seems less valued than even here.
I remember the second time I was in the DR, one of my wife's friends from University invited us to eat supper with her at her place in Santo Domingo East. To get to her complex we had to go through a Barrio Caliente. I was instructed to cover my head and get down in the back seat as if the guys on the street saw me they would probably force the car to stop and rob us or worse. That was in 1997, I don't things have improved with the extra drugs around now.
I think the point of the post is the eternal optimism of this guy.

I cannot imagine any set of circumstances under which I would duck and cover to avoid being robbed. You were taken in for sure!