Uber in Santiago

rhodym

Feb 25, 2016
SANTIAGO TO CABARETE UBER
Hey, new guy on DR1. I may be arriving at STI airport and need to go to cabarete on a semi regular basis. I am wondering if anyone here who has used an uber driver in Santiago regularly can recommend this person? I am thinking of establishing a regular driver if the price is better than a regular taxi.

Gurabo444

Nov 1, 2009
just for today uber offers free rides in santiago to all their users:
http://www.citysantiago.com/2016/04/15/uber-obsequia-viajes-por-lanzamiento-santiago#.VxEwm_krLcc
conditions apply.

I got two promo codes and decided to use them to try out the service, which was great and super cheap compare to taxis and it saved me some gas. I love the fact that you can see the car arriving in the map, no cash needed and way better cars than taxis. The two cars I used were excellent, one was a Lexus SUV and the other a Nissan Rogue and they arrived within 5 minutes. Besides the cars being better, the drivers seemed way more educated than your average Taxi drivers, the first one was some sort of musician while the second one works IT for a big company. I advise anyone in the Santiago area to try it out.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
how much one can generate per hour of ubering in Santiago? i mean as a driver mas o menos?

Probably tough to answer as it will depend on many factors.

As a very ROUGH guide, you could probably assume 4 rides per hour, at about RD$150 each or RD$600. Of course, Uber will keep a share and you still have to pay gas.
But there may be special incentives, considering that they are starting in Santiago (I've heard they had very favorable ones in SD earlier when they needed drivers).

Perhaps RD$400/hour "net" might be a decent guesstimate...but just that a guesstimate. At that rate, one that puts 25 hrs a week, would end up with about RD$10,000/week (~US$1,000/month) for essentially time that would have gone to waste otherwise.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
LOL... only if there are 5 Uber drivers in whole Santiago and there is no traffic
Probably tough to answer as it will depend on many factors.

As a very ROUGH guide, you could probably assume 4 rides per hour, at about RD$150 each or RD$600. Of course, Uber will keep a share and you still have to pay gas.
But there may be special incentives, considering that they are starting in Santiago (I've heard they had very favorable ones in SD earlier when they needed drivers).

Perhaps RD$400/hour "net" might be a decent guesstimate...but just that a guesstimate. At that rate, one that puts 25 hrs a week, would end up with about RD$10,000/week (~US$1,000/month) for essentially time that would have gone to waste otherwise.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
Tried to get an uber from STI airport and there weren't any in the vicinity.

From the little playing around with uber I've done in Santiago, there are very few drivers thus far.

In Santo Domingo there are plenty.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Tried to get an uber from STI airport and there weren't any in the vicinity.

From the little playing around with uber I've done in Santiago, there are very few drivers thus far.

In Santo Domingo there are plenty.

Hold on a few months. Santo Domingo started out the same way. There were plenty of times no drivers in my area. Over time and as word spread more and more drivers.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
uber or something else....if you know a private car w/ recco driver you doing better... when i first arrived i always took a cab ...
looked around and choose one... negotiated a price...done lets go ...im paying ..we stop maybe a sandwich /drink etc depending time
of day(im paying) and as a traveler i most always thought i did ok with rates/drivers/cars...
i dont need a new car....

May 20, 2012
Prices for taxicabs in Bavaro-Punta Cana are ridiculously expensive. Uber competition should lower prices. I have been offered half of the normal price taxi fare of US$20....But that's still US$10 for a 14 minute trip (about 4.5 miles) each way to go to the grocery store!!

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
on a bycycle built for two??? u will save money dont use the cabs man walking with a cart...public bus... motore..

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
Has anybody used UBER in Santiago in the past few weeks? I will be there in little over a week and I would like to use it. Any good or bad experiences? Thank you in advance.

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
LOL... only if there are 5 Uber drivers in whole Santiago and there is no traffic

I'm currently using it in Santiago and I am having a very good experience. What would be otherwise a hundred and fifty to two hundred pesos for short rides I'm paying abo
ut 70 pesos.

jtuckp.png

LB2525

Jul 21, 2016
uber

Does anyone have experience or any good info about uber in Santiago and the surrounding areas or would you recommend a normal taxi service.