After I-130 has been filed now what? Other paperwork?

Tt_er

Jan 30, 2016
So after being married in the DR I am now bringing my bride to the states. I mailed off the I-130 w/ all requirements yesterday so now what? What other forms should I fill out? Anything else I need to do?

Thank you!

Tt_er

Jan 30, 2016
wait to hear back and they will tell you what to do for the next step and next and next. it took me 2 years from start to finish.
if you need a no. to call in case you haven't heard anything after awhile it is 603 334-0700

Wow why so long?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
It's a longer process because your spouse will be entering the US with a Green Card. If you had gone the fiance route (K-1 visa) you would have been able to get to the U.S. quicker but would still have plenty of paperwork to do once you arrived.

Tt_er

Jan 30, 2016
I sent in the I-130, received the text & mail confirmation (I-797c), & call their office just now. They said processing times are running 6 months right now give or take a month. In the meantime, there is nothing else I need or can do to help expedite the process?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I sent in the I-130, received the text & mail confirmation (I-797c), & call their office just now. They said processing times are running 6 months right now give or take a month. In the meantime, there is nothing else I need or can do to help expedite the process?

6 months is really fast for this process. Be thankful if that is all it takes. There is nothing you can do unless they as you for more information.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

Dealing with the govt which ever govt takes time as Windey says if it is only those six months consider yourself lucky.

Tt_er

Jan 30, 2016
Got an update today. A letter is supposed to come in the mail asking for evidence. We have tons of proof but any recommendations on this? Thank you!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They have really improved the processing time if it is now down to 6 months. More like a year when I did three of them previously.

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
My wife's step brother has been married so many times to Dominicanas, the US immigration told him they would not accept any more applications.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
And when you finally get through all of the bureaucracy and all of the costs, are in SDQ for your final interview, have had fingerprinting completed and are waiting to be called to your interview, hope that they don't call you to go to dreaded window 11. Has anyone on here had the window 11 experience??

Tt_er

Jan 30, 2016
Thanks for all the reply(s) & odd stories!

So I am onto the next 6 steps as my case was sent to the NVC.

Step 1: Choose an agent <----- I chose none as I do not have an agent, attorney, etc....;

Do you wish to appoint an agent or attorney to receive mail about your visa application? NO <---- Was this right? Or was I supposed to select agent & then use my own info?

Step 2: Pay fees. <---- I paid one fee $120 but the system didn't allow me to pay the IV fee for my spouse. <----Do I need to wait to pay this fee?

Step 3: Submit visa application form.

Step 4: Collect financial documents.

Step 5: Collect supporting documents.

Step 6: Submit documents to the NVC.

Steps 3-6 I don't think I can complete just yet. I guess my big question is do I need to adjust my answer on question 1 to myself or leave as NO? Thank you!

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I get that I'm wondering if I should leave as no or change to yes & list myself?

List yourself. I wasn't sure if it worked the same way as in Canada but if you list yourself as the agent they will be able to release info to you as you progress.

El Mayimbe

Jan 25, 2015
6months is only the first step. Once that's done it's another 6months at NVC - Embassy. You did follow advice for free assistance/guidance by going to visa journey? I will guess not you still asking questions! Have your money ready for the NVC process that is what makes the difference from 1 year to approx 2.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Sorry OP..I should have explained better. Since there is no visa limit for your category I have always been told that the process is 6-8 months start to finish. My cousin is doing the I-130 process for his stepdaughter. Since it is considered a "immediate relative" visa category he was told there is no limit on the number of visas that can be issued as opposed to other categories. He listed himself as the "agent" in order to be kept up to date on the process.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Does she wear pajamas to bed, etc... but these are questions that come up in a personal interview when you are seated with the Immigration officer separated from each other, "Let's see your keys." is one they use to see if you are living together also.or they may visit your house to see if you actually do live together. I was living with my wife and we went in to present papers. The officer was a young black woman. SHe said she needed certified copies of my previous divorces. I said "You people already have them." Because I had already left them the previous visit. She took offense to the phrase 'You people" And told me I had to get her more copies of each one and more photos, though we had turned in about 40 pics of us together. So we made another apointment to get back to her in 2 weeks. Before the 2 weeks were up an all American kid of maybe 19 years came walking up our driveway as I was headed for the shower after work. I stayed where I could hear him talking Spanish to her before I stepped into the shower. When Icame out she told me he was selling a pizza club membership with 10 payments to give 12 pizzas, plus an extra for one person's birthday. But when she had told him no he didn't even leave a card. When we returned for our appointment the same officer said "You are all set, just need to have her fingerprints taken." I asked her if she wanted the divorce papers and the extra fotos. SHe said to leave them there on the counter and they did the finger prints and we were done. We decided that the pizza kid was an official checker to see if we lived together and it was evident from him being in the livingroom/office of our ome that we did.
Der Fish

That's funny, I remember back seven years ago when we were going through the process, my wife called me up questioning whether I put a PI on her. Some guy had come on to her in the park and was asking her a bunch of questions, and when he was done he said I (by name) was a lucky man. I said that maybe it was the embassy, but I sure was surprised. Kind of annoyed by the gall of it too, but that part didn't surprise me.

Tt_er

Jan 30, 2016
I see as part of the Affidavit of Financial Support there is mention of a police certificate. I don't think I need this but does my spouse?

https://travel.state.gov/content/vi...t-process/documents/Supporting_documents.html

If you are 16 years of age or older, you must submit a photocopy of a police certificate from the following locations:.

From your... If you were... And resided there...
Country of nationality At least 16 years of age At least 6 months
Country of residence At least 16 years of age At least 6 months
Country of previous residence At least 16 years of age At least 1 year
Any country where you were arrested Any age For any timeframe

You must send a photocopy of your police certificate(s) to the NVC.
You must submit a photocopy of your police certificate(s) to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate at the time of your interview.

Note: Present and former residents of the United States do NOT need to submit any U.S. police certificates..