Paperwork for getting married..

May 29, 2006
Mi esposa and I are hoping to get married here in Hig?ey at the end of August. I'm heading back to visit the US in a few days and I want to make sure I have the paperwork I need..

My understanding is I need a letter of conduct, my birth certificate and something to affirm I am not already married..

Anyone have exp getting these papers?

I'd rather bring a copy or PDF of my birth certificate if possible. Do I need these things translated and certified?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Mi esposa and I are hoping to get married here in Hig?ey at the end of August. I'm heading back to visit the US in a few days and I want to make sure I have the paperwork I need..

My understanding is I need a letter of conduct, my birth certificate and something to affirm I am not already married..

Anyone have exp getting these papers?

I'd rather bring a copy or PDF of my birth certificate if possible. Do I need these things translated and certified?

Any and all previous divorces all translated and apostilized. As well as said birth certificate, and it has to be a copy supplied to you within the last six months. Because you could a died since then! It too has to be translated and apostilized.
Der Fish

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Any and all previous divorces all translated and apostilized. As well as said birth certificate, and it has to be a copy supplied to you within the last six months. Because you could a died since then! It too has to be translated and apostilized.
Der Fish

Or born again... hallelujah!

Apr 7, 2014
Der Fish
If Pete was born in NYS he should also know that the birth certificate fee is no longer $10 it is now like $75 and they only give it via Federal Express so that is like another $15.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Not exactly $75:

How can I order a birth certificate online? -

Ordering online is the fastest, most convenient way to get a birth certificate. The NYC Health Department uses Vital Chek, a secure third-party vendor to process internet orders. You will need a personal credit/debit/checking account to order online. Online orders can only be completed if your name appears on the record. Online orders cost $15 for each certificate, plus an $8.30 processing fee for each order. For example, if you want to order 3 copies of a birth certificate online, you would pay $15 for each certificate and just one processing fee of $8.30, and your total cost would be $15 + $15 + $15 + $8.30 = $53.30.

Online orders are reviewed within 24 hours on weekdays and shipping time is dependent on delivery method. Standard delivery is via the US Postal Service, and UPS express mail delivery is available for an additional fee. Express mail delivery is not available for PO Box addresses.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/services/birth-certificates.page

A little more outside of NYC:
https://www.health.ny.gov/vital_records/birth.htm

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Post deleted by moderator. Stay out of Legal Forum with your wisecracks

Last edited by a moderator:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
No. First you get your birth certificate. The long version. Duly stamped/dated/embossed with seal. Then you send it to the state capitol where you were born. Albany if it is NY, with proper form and payment. They return it to you. Then you have to get it translated by someone approved by DR govt.

May 29, 2006
I just ordered the new certificate. So when it comes in sometime more than 5-10 business days, I have to send it to Albany again and wait for them to send it back? I want to get back to the DR ASAP and it's not like Fed Ex delivers to my barrio..

May 29, 2006
Mi esposa said I would need a letter of good conduct, but I see no mention of it in any of the links.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I just ordered the new certificate. So when it comes in sometime more than 5-10 business days, I have to send it to Albany again and wait for them to send it back? I want to get back to the DR ASAP and it's not like Fed Ex delivers to my barrio..

Yes, once you get it, you have to send it to Albany for the apostile, there's a form you can download to accompany it. It's cheap, I think $10 if I remember correctly.