attempted land purchase

karen stacko

Aug 28, 2004
Several years ago we attempted to purchase a lot in the Cabarete area. Our real estate man did the paperwork, researched the title, and placed our money for the purchase into an escrow account. We returned home and several months later were told that the title was not clear but our money would remain in the account. After some time we tried contacting the man but were unable to reach him. We have not been back to the DR since then.

Do we have any recourse to get our money returned? Should we contact a local attorney? Please advise.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Several years ago we attempted to purchase a lot in the Cabarete area. Our real estate man did the paperwork, researched the title, and placed our money for the purchase into an escrow account. We returned home and several months later were told that the title was not clear but our money would remain in the account. After some time we tried contacting the man but were unable to reach him. We have not been back to the DR since then.

Do we have any recourse to get our money returned? Should we contact a local attorney? Please advise.

You should contact a local attorney but with it being ?several years?I seriously doubt
your money will be returned.

karen stacko

Aug 28, 2004
Fernando A. Sanchez. He lived in Sosua at the time. He was previously the timeshare rep at Coconut Palms in Cabarete and then worked for Hispaniola realty in Sosua. If anyone has contact information for him I would deeply appreciate it.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Another lesson for the DR where real estate people do not need a license and there is no governing body. Anyone can sell real estate. Only a trusted lawyer should hold your deposit. Never the real estate agent. Hope a good lawyer can get back your deposit. I would contact Guzman Ariza in Sosua but only if the amount was substantial because it will cost you
to try to get it back. If it was just a few thousand dollars, better to let it go.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
See if you can get a lawyer to collect it for half of what he gets. No money out of your pocket. You might find someone for this.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Fernando A. Sanchez. He lived in Sosua at the time. He was previously the timeshare rep at Coconut Palms in Cabarete and then worked for Hispaniola realty in Sosua. If anyone has contact information for him I would deeply appreciate it.

Hispaniola RE is a reputable builder, what did the the owner say?
I know you understand nobody is licensed as a RE broker, so there is no accountability.

Jan 7, 2016
Letting something like this go for that length of time is the issue here...if the realtor kept the money, he/she probably figured you died or something and no longer needed the money as much as he/she did! Time heals, but time also loses!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Letting something like this go for that length of time is the issue here...if the realtor kept the money, he/she probably figured you died or something and no longer needed the money as much as he/she did! Time heals, but time also loses!

For all we know, this occurred when the OP joined DR1 in 2004.
A few too many holes in this story unfortunately.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
also we don't know the amount, it could be $1000 as reservation deposit... OP never stated if it was substantial amount or peanuts..

DannyWings

Nov 17, 2015
Karen, you will be wasting your time. You should have done your homework about purchasing real estate in the DR. Do you have any idea how many people have been scammed this way over there years? Countless. You cannot trust any lawyer in the DR. This is another objective statement, not objective. You obviously walked through a door blindfolded. I know 3 major league baseball players, all retired who bought an a large amount of land from a very good, childhood friend from San Pedro de Macoris. I don't think that I need to continue with the outcome. Not difficult to figure out.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete

Unfortunately, the "previously timeshare rep" part doesn't sound very encouraging to me.