marijuana farm raided in veron

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2016/04/22/desmantelan-vivero-marihuana-veron-apresan-dos-extranjeros
http://www.cdn.com.do/noticias/2016/04/22/desmantelan-vivero-de-marihuana-en-veron/

police raided small farm of marijuana organized inside a house in veron. two foreigners were arrested, no info regarding their nationality or identity.

21b6lx2.jpg

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
Definitely not a bright idea considering the probability of lengthy jail time. I am curious what tipped off the cops. High electricity consumption, odor, excessive heat, or a Rat?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
do the plants smell?

Definitely. When my nose worked I'd walk into my sister's house and smell their closet full of herb growing.
After grinding concrete for 28 years my nose no longer can smell much of anything.
Der Fish

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Definitely. When my nose worked I'd walk into my sister's house and smell their closet full of herb growing.
After grinding concrete for 28 years my nose no longer can smell much of anything.
Der Fish

Things are starting to make sense here with your posts now.
Were you into building model planes as a child by any chance?

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
do the plants smell?

Yes, but indoor growers usually uses something that ionizes the smell. They also try to refrain from running the grow lights at night so they don't leave a heat signature that can be seen by planes and helicopters. Sometimes people think that it's easier to do this kind of stuff in a 3rd world country.. I guess they'd better think again

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I am just back from Jamaica where it is now decriminalized. I strongly believe this is the way to go for DR and other Caribbean nations. Face it: huge human ressources and budget are being spent on some potheads planting weed. All that while serious crime is not being dealt with.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Yes, but indoor growers usually uses something that ionizes the smell. They also try to refrain from running the grow lights at night so they don't leave a heat signature that can be seen by planes and helicopters. Sometimes people think that it's easier to do this kind of stuff in a 3rd world country.. I guess they'd better think again

we learn something every day...who knew growing pot was so much work.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am just back from Jamaica where it is now decriminalized. I strongly believe this is the way to go for DR and other Caribbean nations. Face it: huge human ressources and budget are being spent on some potheads planting weed. All that while serious crime is not being dealt with.

100% in agreement. Legalize, regulate and tax it like Canada is about to do.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Crazy Canadian only needed to wait til next year to have it legal at home...

Lots of competition back home everybody growing the good stuff. Here, probably very hard to get the good stuff grown by a Canadian grade A grower. Now he will see the difference in the crimes here from there

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Lots of competition back home everybody growing the good stuff. Here, probably very hard to get the good stuff grown by a Canadian grade A grower. Now he will see the difference in the crimes here from there

These Guys knew what they were doing. Those are some well cared for baby bushes but they're way too young to bud so I doubt it was the smell that gave them away. They were probably looking for buyers for the young plants rather than trying to bring a crop to harvest. They sure will have some interesting stories to share with their cellmates.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Today's DR1 News has a short item:
Growing marijuana in a Veron apartment
The Police reported the arrest of a Canadian identified as 50-year old Matthew Bruce Maynard (Matt) on Sunday, 24 April 2016. He is accused of cultivating marijuana in Veron, in the province of La Altagracia. Veron is 15 minutes away from the Punta Cana tourist area. According to police, he had 771 marijuana plants growing in a nursery in a rented apartment. The Police is on the trail of an unnamed British citizen who is believed to be his accomplice.
http://pn.gob.do/noticias-principal...de-marihuana-bajo-techo-en-vern-la-altagracia

This thread should be for comments about this particular case, and keep the broader issue of drug legalisation in Off Topic.

[video=youtube_share;ABc8ciT5QLs]https://youtu.be/ABc8ciT5QLs[/video]

;)

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
100% in agreement. Legalize, regulate and tax it like Canada is about to do.

They will mess it up just watch. They will make it more than people are paying now. Believe me no one who is smoking weed is having a hard time finding it. They do not need the government to find their weed. I do support legalization 100 percent just doubtful in the governments execution. Hopefully I am wrong and they will have a ton of tax revenue.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Art. 64: Los que sin permiso de la autoridad competente, cultiven plantaciones de marihuana, o m?s de una (1) libra de sus semillas, as? como cualquier otra planta de la que pueda producirse coca?na, hero?na o cualquier droga controlada que produzca dependencia, o m?s de un cuarto (1/4) de kilogramo de semillas de dichas plantas, ser?n considerados traficantes, y por tanto sancionados con prisi?n de cinco (5) a veinte (20) a?os, y con multa de cincuenta mil (RD$50,000.00) a doscientos cincuenta mil pesos (RD$250,000.00).

he may face a long jail time for this...

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
They will mess it up just watch. They will make it more than people are paying now. Believe me no one who is smoking weed is having a hard time finding it. They do not need the government to find their weed. I do support legalization 100 percent just doubtful in the governments execution. Hopefully I am wrong and they will have a ton of tax revenue.

I have mentioned before that word in street is that the local corner dealer is not losing any business. Those that do not have a card to purchase or think the price is too much will seek the corner dealer. The advantage to these stores are the variety of goods.

At the end of the day, THC is THC.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
I have mentioned before that word in street is that the local corner dealer is not losing any business. Those that do not have a card to purchase or think the price is too much will seek the corner dealer. The advantage to these stores are the variety of goods.

At the end of the day, THC is THC.

That and the majority of people are getting from a friend or a co worker. It's not like a lot of people think where you have to go to a rough neighborhood and use the "corner dealer".

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
These Guys knew what they were doing. Those are some well cared for baby bushes but they're way too young to bud so I doubt it was the smell that gave them away. They were probably looking for buyers for the young plants rather than trying to bring a crop to harvest. They sure will have some interesting stories to share with their cellmates.
Cannabis plants start to stink to the high heavens when they are very small,no need to have buds,yet they smell much more when they have buds,if that room in the picture didn't have several can filters running 24/7 you would be able to smell those plants from quite the distance. full disclosure,I am a licensed grower and have a stinky room with 6 inch plants sitting right next to me right now.