German guy killed in jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Anyone heard about a german guy killed in jail in SD. He obviously was in jail because he refused to pay his rent or something similar. Anyone has more info about this???

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Anyone heard about a german guy killed in jail in SD. He obviously was in jail because he refused to pay his rent or something similar. Anyone has more info about this???

Why is it OBVIOUS that he "was in jail because he refused to pay his rent or something similar"?
To my knowledge not paying one's rent is a civil matter, not a criminal matter.

I have no idea why would someone go to jail for that reason (unless it is part of something far more complex than that).

Anyway, I am unaware of any German killed in a Dominican jail recently (whatever the reasons he may have been there).

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Why is it OBVIOUS that he "was in jail because he refused to pay his rent or something similar"?

I have no idea why would someone go to jail for that reason (unless it is part of something far more complex than that).

Anyway, I am unaware of any German killed in a Dominican jail recently (whatever the reasons he may have been there).
isn't it obvious ...why else would a german be in jail....the only thing germans do wrong...is not pay the rent ...now if he was French oh boy

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009

Then you don't know the country very well at all. People use and abuse the corrupt legal system constantly to force what they want, legal or not, and especially if the guy in question happens to be a gringo, and doubly likely if the guy who is squeezing has family or friends at that station. People get locked up for days without rights to see if they will budge, which is quite possibly what happened here. Whether that is the case or not we dunno. Again, this is why every gringo needs to have a 'friend' to call, in case they should try anything like this. The law and the practice of the law are two very different things, I thought everyone living in the country knew that. If you don't have any leverage (a friend) that can make all the difference about how your experience goes if you find yourself in a situation.

Now if this guy has been locked up illegally and killed while locked up then some Capitan has a serious headache on his shoulders, if the German guys family decides to kick up a stink. But the reality of the situation is the guy is now dead, and so they can have put him there, legally for whatever reason they care to dream up to cover their own back. It is quite possible he took a swing at the landlord or something anyway if the word is that this is what it's all about, it is very easy to lose your temper when dealing with a Dominican landlord.

Who knows, but certainly not unusual for a naive, unconnected gringo to land themselves in jail on the squeeze.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Then you don't know the country very well at all. People use and abuse the corrupt legal system constantly to force what they want, legal or not, and especially if the guy in question happens to be a gringo, and doubly likely if the guy who is squeezing has family or friends at that station. People get locked up for days without rights to see if they will budge, which is quite possibly what happened here. Whether that is the case or not we dunno. Again, this is why every gringo needs to have a 'friend' to call, in case they should try anything like this. The law and the practice of the law are two very different things, I thought everyone living in the country knew that. If you don't have any leverage (a friend) that can make all the difference about how your experience goes if you find yourself in a situation.

Now if this guy has been locked up illegally and killed while locked up then some Capitan has a serious headache on his shoulders, if the German guys family decides to kick up a stink. But the reality of the situation is the guy is now dead, and so they can have put him there, legally for whatever reason they care to dream up to cover their own back. It is quite possible he took a swing at the landlord or something anyway if the word is that this is what it's all about, it is very easy to lose your temper when dealing with a Dominican landlord.

Who knows, but certainly not unusual for a naive, unconnected gringo to land themselves in jail on the squeeze.

If you actually believed half of what you wrote, you would do what anyone with a modicum of common sense would: get the heck out of here before someone "takes advantage of the corrupt legal system" to get you locked-up for the rest of your life (or for a very long time, at least) on a frivolous charge.

No remotely reasonable person would take that chance. Why would you?

On the other hand, the Brit woman who ran over and killed her Dominican hubby seems to be enjoying her life in Britain, while the French "cocaine air" pilots were having the good life under "house arrest" by the beach until they got tired of it and decided to leave for a French jail (go figure). Oh well.

Of course all foreigners do have "a friend to call"...it is usually at a place called Embassy, and if it happens to be from a 'develop' country it is a far more powerful friend than the vast majority of Dominicans have. Foreign journalists may help out also, making noise (with/without good reasons).

P.S. In case you have never heard it, the right word to describe the person you have in mind is foreigner, or possibly ex-pat. You all seem enamored with the word gringo and seem to use FAR MORE OFTEN than any moderately educate Dominican would.

Last edited:

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
If you actually believed half of what you wrote, you would do what anyone with a modicum of common sense would: get the heck out of here before someone "takes advantage of the corrupt legal system" to get you locked-up for the rest of your life (or for a very long time, at least) on a frivolous charge.

No remotely reasonable person would take that chance. Why would you?

On the other hand, the Brit woman who ran over and killed her Dominican hubby seems to be enjoying her life in Britain, while the French "cocaine air" pilots were having the good life under "house arrest" by the beach until they got tired of it and decided to leave for a French jail (go figure). Oh well.

Of course all foreigners do have "a friend to call"...it is usually at a place called Embassy, and if it happens to be from a 'develop' country it is a far more powerful friend than the vast majority of Dominicans have. Foreign journalists may help out also, making noise (with/without good reasons).

P.S. In case you have never heard it, the right word to describe the person you have in mind is foreigner, or possibly ex-pat. You all seem enamored with the word gringo and seem to use FAR MORE OFTEN than any moderately educate Dominican would.

I doubt your experience in DR more and more with every post you submit. You see,, I can tell when people are writing from what they 'think, expect or have read'. The realities are very different.
And if you are a gringo locked up with no cell phone, how exactly do you think you get in touch with people to raise the alarm? I'm guessing you thinkk that at the police station you are given your rights, and a phone call right? haha, again, you have no experience of the reality of how sh1t goes down in the DR.
And if you happen to have no money on you when arrested, I guess you think they will come and feed you as well ay?
And you think your home embassy can help you if in trouble with DR law? again, you been watching too many movies. You're friends are those who help you when in trouble in DR, that and money. And so why it is always advisable to have a cheap cel phone on you, no matter what, even if going to the corner store. And always 500pesos storred in the back of that phone so you have enough to eat and drink for a few days if you get caught up in anything.
And for your information I do not live in the country any more, and partly for these reasons. You can be completely innocent, get caught up in something, even an accident that is not your fault, and it can be the ruin of you, as without those 'friends' you don't have anything, your rights are pretty much none existent if someone wants something out of you.

I'm not going to get into it with you as since starting to post nothing you have written points to me that you have even been living in the country, never mind experiencing half the stuff you chime in on.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I think we all understand this is pretty much a lawless society. Does this mean we should all move back home. Easier said than done as well since there are millions we all hope to keep are noses clean and not be one of tha stats.
Does that change the disfunctional society here, provide any forms of common sense, of course not. This is and will always be a 3rd world country because of the this lack of law and corruption. Again this is not news nor should be debated here. This is about another foreigner killed, this time in jail, thats what we need to focus on.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I think we all understand this is pretty much a lawless society. Does this mean we should all move back home. Easier said than done as well since there are millions we all hope to keep are noses clean and not be one of tha stats.
Does that change the disfunctional society here, provide any forms of common sense, of course not. This is and will always be a 3rd world country because of the this lack of law and corruption. Again this is not news nor should be debated here. This is about another foreigner killed, this time in jail, thats what we need to focus on.

There is a massive difference between being killed in jail and being killed in prison, are we sure which one it is yet? I know many people get these two mixed up, when in reality they are very very different environments to be held in. I would have presumed it was prison as killing someone in jail would not go unseen/unheard from the guards, unless he was strangled while sleeping, or some other silent method. But the comment about paying rent or personal debt would hint towards it being jail, and someone putting the squeeze on him. If jail then they are continuing to get more and more blatant (as if that were possible) in not giving a sh1t. If prison.... well, that's no big deal really, a victim of his environment.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
OK kids, that's enough.... It's almost like when I was young... "Mine is bigger than yours"... Or like we said in french: "Mon p?re est plus fort que ton p?re".... "My father is stronger than your father"...

Seriously ?

Status
Not open for further replies.