Flip key Night

Danny Joyner

Apr 25, 2016
Flip key Nightmare Must Read

FLIPKEY must read!!! On the next to last day of my trip (14 April - 26 April 2016) we had made RSVD back in Feb. Booked FAbulous 2 bedrooms villa, ID 6678753' booking ref BR19634838 booking value 1414.28. A great deal...we the valla was changed to a condo. I was notified of the change in March. I was told that the villa was priced wrong a thus the condo was as nice and was less.

So on that great date, 14 Apr, arrived Sosua, got the key,on to the condo. Once there, the

Door was hard to unlock, lock had rust...applied WD40 Oil

Fan didn't work, fan replaced, a new fan installed

Patio door had problems getting it open...eventually managed to get the door open

Only 1 bulb in the living room..this was the case in the bedrooms also. New bulbs request, never get them, request was made more than once.

Kitchen range top rusted no air vent, had to use lighter to light the range. No electrical power on one side of the kitchen

Frig ice maker didn't work

Had mice, one even died some where in the kitchen

Showers the doors didn't close completely, handle broken.

Stray cats roaming the area, couldn't leave the door/patio doors open they would just come in looking for anything to eat

Tv didn't work,,,until 20 Apr, still not working correctly

To say that I am happy about this condo...you be the judge.

Now, let's go back, I was promised a refund. Total price 1414 original RSVP condo 1058 fee 128 my refund 189
My problem is the bad condition of the condo the lack of the a fare refund

Overall I have had the worst Sosua vacation in over 4 years coming here. Bottom line I will never use Flipkey again. I only hope that anyone that reads this blot will thank twice before using Flipkey

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2016
The best way to avoid this problem in the future, is to have the agent (or his agent) to the unit to check you in. Note any problems and refuse to pay until the problems are remedied. Works for me every time.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Sorry you had a disappointing rental experience but you were lucky that ice maker didn't work or you would be sharing a whole different health scare story.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
FLIPKEY must read!!! On the next to last day of my trip (14 April - 26 April 2016) we had made RSVD back in Feb. Booked FAbulous 2 bedrooms villa, ID 6678753' booking ref BR19634838 booking value 1414.28. A great deal...we the valla was changed to a condo. I was notified of the change in March. I was told that the villa was priced wrong a thus the condo was as nice and was less.

So on that great date, 14 Apr, arrived Sosua, got the key,on to the condo. Once there, the

Door was hard to unlock, lock had rust...applied WD40 Oil

Fan didn't work, fan replaced, a new fan installed

Patio door had problems getting it open...eventually managed to get the door open

Only 1 bulb in the living room..this was the case in the bedrooms also. New bulbs request, never get them, request was made more than once.

Kitchen range top rusted no air vent, had to use lighter to light the range. No electrical power on one side of the kitchen

Frig ice maker didn't work

Had mice, one even died some where in the kitchen

Showers the doors didn't close completely, handle broken.

Stray cats roaming the area, couldn't leave the door/patio doors open they would just come in looking for anything to eat

Tv didn't work,,,until 20 Apr, still not working correctly

To say that I am happy about this condo...you be the judge.

Now, let's go back, I was promised a refund. Total price 1414 original RSVP condo 1058 fee 128 my refund 189
My problem is the bad condition of the condo the lack of the a fare refund

Overall I have had the worst Sosua vacation in over 4 years coming here. Bottom line I will never use Flipkey again. I only hope that anyone that reads this blot will thank twice before using Flipkey

If I am not wrong the accommodations on 'FlipKey' are advertised by private owners, and not any governing agency etc. There is no rating system and you are going off what the owner or agent is telling you, correct?
If so then you learned a lesson. I personally would never rent anything outside of a hotel I could check up on in DR without seeing it first. Obviously for those on vacation means getting to the country then making emergency plans for the first night, but trusting the words agents or owners is just careless, and put into the equation you are trusting to words of Dominican owners or agents and it goes from careless to very silly a little naive. But hey, you learned a lesson, you can't buy what you learned from this (well you kind of did but) and put it down to an experience. Always live on the understanding that when in the DR any money paid out you are very unlikely to get back and you will save yourself a fortune over the years.

dinosinc

Mar 3, 2016
If I am not wrong the accommodations on 'FlipKey' are advertised by private owners, and not any governing agency etc. There is no rating system and you are going off what the owner or agent is telling you, correct?
If so then you learned a lesson. I personally would never rent anything outside of a hotel I could check up on in DR without seeing it first. Obviously for those on vacation means getting to the country then making emergency plans for the first night, but trusting the words agents or owners is just careless, and put into the equation you are trusting to words of Dominican owners or agents and it goes from careless to very silly a little naive. But hey, you learned a lesson, you can't buy what you learned from this (well you kind of did but) and put it down to an experience. Always live on the understanding that when in the DR any money paid out you are very unlikely to get back and you will save yourself a fortune over the years.

If you paid with paypal or visa then file a claim with them that you did not receive what you paid for

Stefan1983

Nov 6, 2013
So you book a villa, get notice that you will not be staying in what you booked, and don't cancel / let Flipkey know?
I agree when sharing this with Flipkey you should have been given a far bigger refund. Also, reviews, reviews, reviews...All that matters when booking Flipkey / Airbnb etc.

Jan 17, 2009
FlipKey is part of Tripadvisor Inc., and properties and owners are reviewed and rated. Yet, they have serious problems with scammers advertising on their site. Flip key has a warranty if you paid on their site, and you let them know within 24-hours of arrival. Maybe you should considering contacting them or filing a claim, if you paid on their site. Otherwise, if you wired the money, you're out of luck.

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
Wow that suck's they did a bait n switch ,I used flipkey to rent a condo in Cabarete back in January it was just as described. Only complaint was it rained dam near every day, and received my security deposit real fast .:classic:

oakmba

Dec 10, 2015
Anyone ever use HomeAway to book a place in the DR?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
You have to check reviews and make sure people have had good experiences there, before you book. If you lodge the complaint within 24hours of checking in, you can get a refund.

HomeAway/VRBO seems to be getting more traction because they charge a one time yearly fee to the host instead of hosing both renter and owner a percentage of each rental, like Airbnb and Tripadvisor/Flipkey.