What fun things would you recommend in SD?

joselowe

May 5, 2015
So I'm American I've been to SD 6 times in the past 12 months. Love the country but so far I've only done the same things:
Walk around the Malecon
Boca Chica (swim, eat)
Walk around and go clubbing in Zona Colonial
I've been to damn near every restaurant in the city both good and bad
Done the historical sites in ZC

What are some things I might be missing out on and should check out. It doesn't have to only be in SD as long as it's not too expensive using uber (not interested in the public transportation)

I like movies (I only speak English though) I like physical activities, nature, roller coasters... Honestly I'm down for anything

Any suggestions?

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Back to the original question, I recommend Parque Tres Ojos. Amazing lagoons with ancient fossils.

Julia31

Jan 4, 2012
Why are you stuck in Santo Domingo? I stayed there for 3 weeks and to be honest i was pretty much done with things to see. BUT there is so much more to see on the ialand! For SD check out the Botanical Garden and Playa Palenque (a bit west of SD)

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Santo Domingo has very little to offer as far as I'm concerned. If you have been restricted to the Capital and think that is a representation of the country then you need to go elsewhere, anywhere. Experiences will come your way. Rent a car and head North, see some of the white crazies.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Parque Tres Ojos was a great suggestion. I would also recommend Parque Zoological/Botanical and the National Acuarium, all relatively short rides in town and unforgettable as they are uniquely Dominican.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
So I'm American I've been to SD 6 times in the past 12 months. Love the country but so far I've only done the same things:
Walk around the Malecon
Boca Chica (swim, eat)

What are some things I might be missing out on and should check out. It doesn't have to only be in SD as long as it's not too expensive using uber (not interested in the public transportation)

I like movies (I only speak English though) I like physical activities, nature, roller coasters... Honestly I'm down for anything

Any suggestions?

Have you been to the eastside of Santo Domingo yet?
I?m curious, what brings you down to SD 6 times in 1 year? Family, spouse, friends???

joselowe

May 5, 2015
Have you been to the eastside of Santo Domingo yet?
I?m curious, what brings you down to SD 6 times in 1 year? Family, spouse, friends???

I'm a big traveler already been to 10 different countries this year, Londons my fave, but SD is a fraction of the price. What I'd pay for a week in SD is like 2 days in London. I recently moved to a city/state I hate for work which is very boring! I'm lucky enough to have a job which gives me great work life balance so I travel. I also like PR it's actually cheaper to fly there but hotel and food and everything else is a lot more than SD.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
You really should get out of the capitol and go north. My suggestion is to spend a little time on the Samana peninsula. Take the large guagua to Las Terranas. Have dinner at one of the restaurants or ocean side eateries. Go to Luis' at Playa Coson. Check out the waterfalls at Limon. Have a fantastic French meal in Samana city. Experience Playa Rincon and Las Galaras. You have only scratched the surface! Yes I know you said you are not about public transportation. But I think you may think differently after a trip from the capitol to the north coast.

Last edited:

PanfilodeVaca

Jan 12, 2014
Dominican baseball starts later in the year. Santo Domingo has two teams which play at Quisqueya Stadium.

If you're not a member of PETA, there are the cockfights at Coliseo Gallistico.

You should consider developing some fluency in Spanish.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
You really should get out of the capitol and go north. My suggestion is to spend a little time on the Samana peninsula. Take the large guagua to Las Terranas. Have dinner at one of the restaurants or ocean side eateries. Go to Luis' at Playa Coson. Check out the waterfalls at Limon. Have a fantastic French meal in Samana city. Experience Playa Rincon and Las Galaras. You have only scratched the surface! Yes I know you said you are not about public transportation. But I think you may think differently after a trip from the capitol to the north coast.

Totally agree, it's a great country, with much to see. Go to Las Terrenas in Samana. Check out Jarabacoa and Santiago. Cabarete is a fun little city. Have a quick look around Bayahibe, and go see the beaches in the (touristy but still very nice) Punta Cana area.

It's a great country, and getting around costs next to nothing. Go check it out!

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Walk around the Malecon
Boca Chica (swim, eat)

Any suggestions?

I'm guessing you have been staying either on the Malecon or in Zona Colonial.

If so, start by trying a different hotel in a different part of the city the next time. You could try staying in the commercial centre between Lincoln/Churchill/JFK/27th with it's Malls, cinemas ( most movies are in English with subtitles), shops and people watching plus all number of food outlets. Or perhaps try the Embajador (which is about to get a major refurbishment) which is on the east end of Bella Vista which is a nice upscale suburb with it's own Mall and huge Body Shop opposite. The Embajador does good deals at weekends.

You must like the city life albeit I assure you the DR traffic weekdays is a real grind.

By staying more centrally, it may provoke you into getting a taxi, your preferred travel method ( and you may find far less Uber taxis now after their price cuts) and heading west (rather than east) towards the beaches of San Cristobel or perhaps even further afield to the dark sand beaches beyond Bani the mango capital of DR.....festival is in June.

You probably need a guide though or English speaking taxi driver for longer trips. or sooner or later get the confidence to hire a car and then a lot more opens up for you.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
well,,,in one of the most crowded cities in the world....what to do....me....i enjoyed the street vendors....beit juice, fruit, cakes, sandwiches or whole meals.....
they are a sight ot see....one of my favorites is a coffee vendor....he walks the streets with 2 huge vacuum pump holders swaying back and forth as he walks... 2 go this way and two go that way...
he is a walking starbuckies....he is so fluent in his movments....it is a pleasure to see a walking cooffee bar....and he sells a cup for very little dinero,,,,probably has 2 ,,,2,,,gallon hot pots....i have never seen them that large
so where did he get them...