Airbnb?

Jetblue Flight 811

Oct 17, 2010
Hey gang, has anyone had any experience with booking or staying at a rental through Airbnb? I was considering booking a rental in Santiago and in Puerto Plata/Sosua, and for the most part some of the rentals ive seen had good prices, most were apartments. The only thing is that some of them look a little sketchy/questionable.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also will be posting the same same thread in the Central section.

joselowe

May 5, 2015
I am doing my 3rd one in Santo Domingo and it's amazing. I'd say contact the owner and ask questions first through Airbnb. But also make sure that Airbnb has verified the owner. If not then I wouldn't take a chance, also read reviews, no reviews I'd also be cautious

SosuaEnVivo

Nov 13, 2014
I am also planning to use AirBnB for my next trip. Some interesting looking accommodations. Will report my experience here.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I've used airbnb very successfully in different countries in the world - not in the DR. My suggestion is to be sure all your communication goes through airbnb so they can support you if there are any issues, even though you may have the contact info for the owner directly. Also ask a lot of questions and see how promptly and efficiently they answer to get a sense of who they are. And of course, pay heed to the current dates of the reviews.

Jetblue Flight 811

Oct 17, 2010
Thanks for the great advice. I am using the app and i am seeing many of the rentals have the same person on different rentals, maybe they are the brokers? i never used it

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
Hey gang, has anyone had any experience with booking or staying at a rental through Airbnb? I was considering booking a rental in Santiago and in Puerto Plata/Sosua, and for the most part some of the rentals ive seen had good prices, most were apartments. The only thing is that some of them look a little sketchy/questionable.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. .

I recently booked a La Romana stay through Air BnB . The experience from start to finish was great. Great communication. Room as described in reviews and by owner! If you are familiar with any community marketplace eg. Ebay , you'll know which ones to stay away from and which ones consider!

joselowe

May 5, 2015
Thanks for the great advice. I am using the app and i am seeing many of the rentals have the same person on different rentals, maybe they are the brokers? i never used it

Some people own many properties that they rent out. I use a guy in SD who is American and he owns like 10 apartments and a hotel and simply rents them all out to make money. It's a great source of income. That wouldn't make me cautious they can't charge extra from the Airbnb total. Also I'd check this guys reviews and if he's verified.

The American guy I use in SD name is Kristian and his properties are amazing and cheap. Also he doesn't charge a deposit and has someone clean the place on request at no extra charge to me

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I own and run a hotel, so hopefully can give some useful information. Most booking websites charge commission to the hotel, normally between 15% and 20%. AirBnB has a different model, they charge the property just 3% and charge you, the guest, 12%. It's worth remembering this as most properties will be on several websites, and even though the prices on AirBnB may look very cheap, you need to add the 12%. I personally use AirBnb when I come to the capital and have found it mixed. If you get an owner, or a hotel, it's OK. But a lot of real estate brokers are beginning to use it, so you have another middle man on top of a middle man. The problem is that the real estate brokers don't check the properties before you arrive, so you often have absolutely zero - no toilet paper, no shampoo, no iron, no drinking water, nothing. And quite a few things don't work. I do recommend AirBnb, but just think you need to be careful when choosing properties on this site.

Jan 7, 2016
AirBNB is a decent concept when used by PROPERTY OWNERS and not renters. Many out of country owners in the Punta Cana area rent their units to Russian Nationals, who inturn, re-rent the 1 or 2 extra bedrooms for 35-40 US per night and thus pay their entire rent for the month and the actual property owner doesn't benefit one bit from the transaction (other than increased wear and tear on their property). It is sweet deal for the Russians and the transients renting the rooms for 1 or two nights in a row. Apparently the Russian version of the rental agreement used here doesn't include the same NO SUBLET clause that the Spanish and English versions include...:bandit:

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I used airbnb for a rental in the colonial zone in santo domingo and my experience was excellent and I had no complaints ...the owner was excellent to deal with and had fresh water ,fruit and snacks provided and gave a good map of the area

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011
Have a cousin that bought an apartment in Gazcue (not North Coast ), exclusively
to rent it on Airbnb.

Jan 17, 2009
I've used it twice but not in the DR> Read the descriptions very carefully. Some owners don't provide bed linen or towels. It's a strange thing to do, to rent a place without linens, but it appears to be common in Latin America.

Jetblue Flight 811

Oct 17, 2010
Great advice thanks all, also are any of you familiar with any of the apartments in sosua that are near the beach, something like Infiniti blu? Are there any other places you could recommend? Also for Santiago because I'd rather not stay at Aloha Sol again, I want to change it up

Jetblue Flight 811

Oct 17, 2010
I can understand them not providing such amenities, as there is ALOT of theft over there. I once stayed in Pedernales and they didn't have shower heads because they all got stolen

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
watch out for hidden electric and cleaning charges. that is where the extra charges can come from. Besides that , a good deal, even near the beach. A much better experience. Th reviews are important too, so keep that in mind.

Jetblue Flight 811

Oct 17, 2010
Thanks, also guys If you could inbox me your experiences that'd be great too. Also any leads. I seen some beachfront properties with Hispaniola beach, any others?

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I have used Airbnb and VRBO in Las Terrenas and Las Galeras several times and it has always worked out good. The prices are unbeatable, and you can choose exactly what you fits your group or family. On another note, VRBO/HomeAway seem to be getting more traction, since they charge home owners a flat yearly fee, instead of tagging on numerous and sometimes very expensive charges and commissions like Airbnb and Tripadvisor Vacation Rentals (Flipkey).