New office in Sosua... how to i get the best internet ?

dorift_it

Mar 21, 2016
I heard Claro can be hell to get for a foreigner ... what are my options and how have you done it ?

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
Visit the puerto plata office, if you have a Cedula no problem (more easy), in you have only a passport in a first time you will have access only to prepaid plans (Prepago).

Ask them and you will have all your answers !!!!!

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Visit the puerto plata office, if you have a Cedula no problem (more easy), in you have only a passport in a first time you will have access only to prepaid plans (Prepago).

This shouldn?t be clerk-dependent, but I have visited the Puerto Plata office with only a passport, and I did qualify for a regular plan (so not a prepaid-one), BUT not for the highest speed, they did limit that.

Of course then they did check a few things, and it finally turned out that they didn?t even have internet service where I wanted it... The clerk actually had to call to a technician on the road, if he knew... Then, a couple of weeks later, we saw a group of three young guys walking down our street with Claro-shirts, promoting internet to us as well. I went to talk with the guy, who was happily selling me a plan with 5 Mbps and promoting all the additional nice services.

I told him repeatedly, that I went to your office, and you have no service here for that speed. He was first confused about Mbps and Gts and then understood nothing. I told him to call their office. After the phone call they quickly went away without another word... I never saw them back on that street...

So for anything contracted with Claro, just be very careful, tell them repeatedly to check everything.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
I heard Claro can be hell to get for a foreigner ... what are my options and how have you done it ?

You can go with Claro (contract), De Lancer (no contract) or TekCom (no contract). Claro would be the cheapest option for you, TekCom - in the middle, De Lancer - most expensive an crappy.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Do whatever you can to get Claro. If you have a problem get someone with Claro internet to vouch for you, or even put it in
their name. After 3 or 4 months you can change it to your name. They need to see payment receipts for I believe 3 months
to change the name.

Also, when you have signed up and are waiting for installation go to where the Claro tower is in Sosua, that is where the
technicians are. Find one and show him your contract, or give him the number that is on it. Tell him you will pay him for
immediate installation. They can and will do it when you find the right guy. I have done this anywhere I go in the DR.
Otherwise you will be tied down forever waiting for installation.

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
I was just offered this direct (for business owners) from Claro, call him direct :):This is the new plan being offered !!

New plan

400 free minutes (in Local Calls, Long
Dist. Nac., Long Distance. Int'l 200 fixed destinations except Cuba, Alaska, Belize,
Haiti, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua), voicemail, Cancellation
Call Waiting, Conference Call Plus Who knows, Contract
Maintenance, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting, Abbreviated Dialing, Dial
Aut. Busy Number, Last Call Return,

Internet Flash 10MB

monthly income of RD $ 1943.50 with imp / incl.

1 Back Online
Basic / professional
1 PC 10GB-

1 Presence (Page) Web,
Begins. With its .com domain

Example:
www.minegocio.com

(Domain has an annual cost of $ 750 + tax). Select the domain available, elemplo:

1 Mail Exchange:

info@minegocio.com

Cloud services Resnta RD $ 967.6 with imp / incl.

Total income of RD $ 2,911.10 New plan with imp / incl.

Description: Description: Description: Logo_Claro.png
Nombre: Alberth J. Correa
Asesor de servicios Cloud
Ventas & Servicios Clientes PYMES
Claro
Oficina: 809-220-2439
Correo: Alberth_Correa@Claro.com.do
Yo me Enfoco en el Cliente y Hago mi Trabajo con Excelencia!

dorift_it

Mar 21, 2016
Do whatever you can to get Claro. If you have a problem get someone with Claro internet to vouch for you, or even put it in
their name. After 3 or 4 months you can change it to your name. They need to see payment receipts for I believe 3 months
to change the name.

Also, when you have signed up and are waiting for installation go to where the Claro tower is in Sosua, that is where the
technicians are. Find one and show him your contract, or give him the number that is on it. Tell him you will pay him for
immediate installation. They can and will do it when you find the right guy. I have done this anywhere I go in the DR.
Otherwise you will be tied down forever waiting for installation.

I will try for sure.

I was just offered this direct (for business owners) from Claro, call him direct :):This is the new plan being offered !!

New plan

400 free minutes (in Local Calls, Long
Dist. Nac., Long Distance. Int'l 200 fixed destinations except Cuba, Alaska, Belize,
Haiti, Honduras, El Salvador and Nicaragua), voicemail, Cancellation
Call Waiting, Conference Call Plus Who knows, Contract
Maintenance, Call Forwarding, Call Waiting, Abbreviated Dialing, Dial
Aut. Busy Number, Last Call Return,

Internet Flash 10MB

monthly income of RD $ 1943.50 with imp / incl.

1 Back Online
Basic / professional
1 PC 10GB-

1 Presence (Page) Web,
Begins. With its .com domain

Example:

(Domain has an annual cost of $ 750 + tax). Select the domain available, elemplo:

1 Mail Exchange:

Cloud services Resnta RD $ 967.6 with imp / incl.

Total income of RD $ 2,911.10 New plan with imp / incl.

Description: Description: Description: Logo_Claro.png
Nombre: Alberth J. Correa
Asesor de servicios Cloud
Ventas & Servicios Clientes PYMES
Claro
Oficina: 809-220-2439
Correo:
Yo me Enfoco en el Cliente y Hago mi Trabajo con Excelencia!

I do not need all this but i am def interested in getting in touch with him. Do you know if he speaks english by any chance ?

Thank you

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
I will try for sure.

I do not need all this but i am def interested in getting in touch with him. Do you know if he speaks english by any chance ?

Thank you

No he doesn't :-(, and he won't break the package (I tried). Im really not a business, but for a business this is a great deal with 10 meg internet speed. Good luck. Maybe have your lawyer call for you, they know how to handle the BS.

Feb 7, 2007
That is no special plan. He is lying if he says it is. It is a normal multiplan doble 400 minutos con Internet 10 mbps. 1495 plus 30% tax. (1943 pesos with taxes included). You do not need to be a business owner or anything

Feb 7, 2007
And if you need cloud, I would certainly not pay Claro. For 60 USD per year you can get unlimited Amazon cloud. Unlimited as in unlimited, I already have 3tb stored on cloud and still good to keep adding.

dorift_it

Mar 21, 2016
And if you need cloud, I would certainly not pay Claro. For 60 USD per year you can get unlimited Amazon cloud. Unlimited as in unlimited, I already have 3tb stored on cloud and still good to keep adding.

You are right... the only thing i really need from them is really strong internet probably 10 or 20 mbps. The thing is that I am currently abroad and would need to have it hooked up rather quickly.

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
If optic fiber is available in your location you can have up to 100 mbps ; with dsl 5 et 10 mbps (10 if your line is good and near the central) ONLY CLARO can inform you on what is available

You are right... the only thing i really need from them is really strong internet probably 10 or 20 mbps. The thing is that I am currently abroad and would need to have it hooked up rather quickly.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
If optic fiber is available in your location you can have up to 100 mbps ; with dsl 5 et 10 mbps (10 if your line is good and near the central) ONLY CLARO can inform you on what is available

No Claro fiber available in El Batey Sosua. (Or at least they are not connecting to fiber lines there). And for new clients for the first few months the speed is limited to 1Mbit. But there are always backdoors.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Claro, worse company do deal with ever, but the best internet around. 2 weeks of arguing with them....previous account, RNC number, passport and cedula. They still wanted my bank info and proof of income. I wanted to prepay for a year and they said no. Took 2 weeks to get approved. Installation technician was great and internet is running smooth at 10mbps.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
dorift_it, where is your new office located? 10MBit ADSL is widely available in El Batey, Sosua. Upload is 1Mbit.

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
If you have a problem get someone with Claro internet to vouch for you, or even put it in
their name. After 3 or 4 months you can change it to your name.

This, my experience trying to get Claro ended up with me getting CableDelNorte

dorift_it

Mar 21, 2016
What is that qualifying for specific speed ? They are trying to push lower speeds to start with but i really need something much faster. What are my choices ? Can someone help out ?

Thank you.