Las Terrenas river filters

Stefan1983

Nov 6, 2013
In Las Terrenas, every time when it rains a lot, the river overflows and all the plastic washes into the ocean and onto the beaches. The people in the barrios use the river as a zafacon and dump all their trash in it. There are some iniatives to get them more concious but just this week we had a huge dump of 'fresh' plastic and other trash.
Now, the adjunamiento is not doing anything, but how difficult can it be? I wanted to ask the help of the community to think about solutions. I personally think someone should put filters in the river, and am interested in what kind of ideas and price ranges you come up with. I know there is a bigger picture here but we have to start somewhere. 100% sure we can raise funds for this.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
The problem is that your logic is like parents thinking about a solution for the mess their teenagers are creating. Like yes, the barrio folks are the ones dumbing their garbage everywhere, but the "community"(meaning the "Gringos"), has to find a solution that would enable them to go on loitering at large while keeping their nice & pristine beaches clean so they can market them for their tourism-related business.

I agree something needs to be done. But just like parents of a messy teenager, you can't just clean up his mess after him and let him keeping on being a total jerk...

Raise funds? For what, for cleaning up after barrio folks?

Should the minority of foreigners pay to clean up after the majority of barrio folks?

That is simply crazy...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
In Las Terrenas, every time when it rains a lot, the river overflows and all the plastic washes into the ocean and onto the beaches. The people in the barrios use the river as a zafacon and dump all their trash in it. There are some iniatives to get them more concious but just this week we had a huge dump of 'fresh' plastic and other trash.
Now, the adjunamiento is not doing anything, but how difficult can it be? I wanted to ask the help of the community to think about solutions. I personally think someone should put filters in the river, and am interested in what kind of ideas and price ranges you come up with. I know there is a bigger picture here but we have to start somewhere. 100% sure we can raise funds for this.

Those before you have called for the same action. If you are really interested go and talk to the mayor of LT and asked why nothing is being done? You would think that for the sake of tourism and environmental reasons that the river should be cleaned up.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I've walked the beaches in that area and was appalled by the amount of persistent plastics, especially on the more remote beaches. One Inexpensive way to prevent the deposit of plastics along the shoreline is the placement of capture nets, usually old fishing nets, at various points along the rivers. The nets would have to be set correctly to not interfere with the migration of fish and still allow the capture of debris. The only drawback is the net collection sites have to be monitored every few days and especially after each heavy rainfall. Then the debris has to be collected and transported to a waste site. It's labour intensive and requires constant coordination and commitment. I've done this before using students from local schools.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Offer 1 peso for every plastic bottle, container or bag that is turned in to a central depot in every town and voila...hordes of people will be seen scouring the highways and byways scooping up plastics.

Stefan1983

Nov 6, 2013
Those before you have called for the same action. If you are really interested go and talk to the mayor of LT and asked why nothing is being done? You would think that for the sake of tourism and environmental reasons that the river should be cleaned up.

This is obviously a station that is passed. They are not going to do anything. After the election we can try again, I have some hopes on this.

Should the minority of foreigners pay to clean up after the majority of barrio folks?

That is simply crazy...

Yes, the best would be if we can take the problem down at the root. This takes time and dedication. In the meantime I think it is a great idea to make sure this does not keep happening. As the gringos and their businesses are among the worst affected, why not? They make the money, and how much does this really have to cost??

Stefan1983

Nov 6, 2013
I've walked the beaches in that area and was appalled by the amount of persistent plastics, especially on the more remote beaches. One Inexpensive way to prevent the deposit of plastics along the shoreline is the placement of capture nets, usually old fishing nets, at various points along the rivers. The nets would have to be set correctly to not interfere with the migration of fish and still allow the capture of debris. The only drawback is the net collection sites have to be monitored every few days and especially after each heavy rainfall. Then the debris has to be collected and transported to a waste site. It's labour intensive and requires constant coordination and commitment. I've done this before using students from local schools.

Hi Ecoman, that is exactly in my line of thinking. Very interested in your project will send you a PM.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Yes, the best would be if we can take the problem down at the root. This takes time and dedication. In the meantime I think it is a great idea to make sure this does not keep happening. As the gringos and their businesses are among the worst affected, why not? They make the money, and how much does this really have to cost??

I applaud your efforts. As a matter of fact, there is an Italian here organizing a meeting about that, you know Ferruccio?

The thing is, I have been living here for too long, and I have seen too many newcomers trying and giving up...

However your enthusiasm is refreshing, and I think it's good and necessary.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
I think it's great that gringos unite to clean up a mess. On that note who are the people that'll boot all the euro driven quads, that drive incessantly flying around town at break neck speed? Years ago it was paradise.

Congrats for screwing LT up.

Don't sh!t in you're own backyard and then b!tch about the locals.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Hi Ecoman, that is exactly in my line of thinking. Very interested in your project will send you a PM.

The spinoff here is the students get educated on the environmental issue of beach debris and waste management and they educate their parents.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
all the euro driven quads, that drive incessantly flying around town at break neck speed? Years ago it was paradise.

Most of the dangerously driven quads are driven by Capitalinos (tourists from Santo Domingo)...

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Get quads out of town period. I've personally watched the majority driven by europeans.

Quads are loud and stir up the dust. Is the only purpose to annoy pedestrians? Park the damn things out of town and walk...geez.

I don't get it.

Stefan1983

Nov 6, 2013
I think it's great that gringos unite to clean up a mess. On that note who are the people that'll boot all the euro driven quads, that drive incessantly flying around town at break neck speed? Years ago it was paradise.

Congrats for screwing LT up.

Don't sh!t in you're own backyard and then b!tch about the locals.

As Squat says the locals are NOT driving their quads around like maniacs. If you would live here I am sure you would have a different opinion about that.
Noise-wise they are more silent than many of the motorbikes that drive around here with bad mufflers. I think you are exaggerating with your last two sentences. We have a problem here, I am asking if you can think with me but instead you come and talk about quads? Really?

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Not only have people littered the river but also in my opinion people have destroyed the town driving quads and motos.

Really how are the two so different.

Clean up the town's noise pollution and the river............at the same time.

REALLY