Finding an apartment in La Romana; 6-12+ month leases

Traveler4life

Feb 21, 2016
I'm interested in 6-month and 12-month or longer leases for a studio apartment in the La Romana area. I need secure parking for one car, reliable Internet, good kitchen. I don't want to pay a "gringo/tourist" price which is 3x, 2x what a local pays. I know some areas are more expensive than others.

Also - I'll be in the La Romana area soon. Is English good enough to look at places, talk to people? Or, will I have a red target over my head that says "foreigner - let's rip him off, he knows nothing and has no one to help him."

I don't need the apartment for this La Romana trip. I'm staying at a local hotel. This trip is for research.
I am hoping I can use my time to make some new friends, find a place, so when I come back, I have a place to stay.

Thanks

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
This just raises many questions. First, why La Romana? It is not a tourist place. Why are you thinking to stay there?

Local hotel. Lol. Good luck. I know some of them.

Very difficult to find a decent apartment in La Romana. You don't mention price - but studio seems to say low budget. You will find living conditions in most areas of La Romana appalling, depending on where you come from.

There was a woman that wrote much about La Romana on DR1 not too long ago. Her name is/was Eleutheria. You might try searching for it here. Very enlightening, her experience. Haven't seem much from Kipling lately either. Maybe he can advise you.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Maybe you already know, Bayahibe is the tourist place near La Romana. With decent beach. But mostly Italian, English won't get you far.

La Romana - the city - does not have a decent beach. Except for pescado and drinking - Caleta, too many rocks. Like I say, why La Romana?

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
just stay with the Cuero's family, and give them $RD1000 a week, that way you can keep track of what you think you fell in love with.. But yes Bayahibe is a good place to start, good area..

Last edited: